ikea Hopen (double bed) anyone got it?

Soldato
It anygood? Picked up a double bed last year as it was on sale and well, yeah. Upgrade time.

Looking at it its cheap (ill have to buy slats aswell, any help, none seem to go up to double bed sizes 160/180)?

So is the base solid, ok? I know the cheaper desks are perfectly fine so I spose the beds would be fine too.

Obviously I'll be going to ikea when money permits, but just wanted to know if anyone is living with one and how it is?

Also while we are here, mattresses, mainly sizes. Do I have to get the ikea mattresses or would any mattress place do the sizes needed? ( I know their light bulbs are crazy different etc)

Soldato
Dont do it, I had one and it fell apart after a few months. Definitely would never buy another ikea bed.

You need an ikea/habitat mattress if you want it to fit as they are euro sizes.

Avoid like the plague

Associate
ive got an ikea bed thats very similar and is pretty much rock soild. To he honest i would just stick a standard matress on there and put up with the gap it leaves as having the ikea matress then forces you into Ike bedding which didnt seem the best quality. I have just ended up shoving a towel at the end just to fill the gap

Soldato
My brother bought one recently, but it's not been made up yet.

Like has already been mentioned though, you will need an Ikea mattress and bedding, as it's a different 'double' size to a 'UK double' size.

Soldato
OP
oh? Odd! I didnt get the ikea slats concept as no slats go up to double bed sizes.. haha

edit:
good to know
Midbeam is included in the price but is packaged separately.
Slatted bed base, mattress and bedlinen are sold separately.

Last edited:
Associate
on the price it shows you have to have the cheapest slats that they supply which are basic bowed wooden ones. you have 2 lots of single bed slats which are supported by a central bar running from the head to the base of the bed

Soldato
We've got the King version, and it's rock solid. Only problem at the mo is with some slat movement, but that's not the fault of the frame itself.

FAR better than the atrocious Argos bed we had before it.

Soldato
OP
Ahhhhh its just clicked. ;)

thanks pestilence :) 100quid for a base (i can stuff pillows to pad out the gaps!) seems a brighter prospect than my bed atm with its metal rod slats.

Soldato
I have a Malm 140x200 bed.

Ive had it over a year now, excellent bed. I have the Hassleback mattress which is SO comfortable.

I haven't had any trouble with it, and i do not know how people manage to break theirs! You will need to get the mattress from Ikea or Habitat, but as i am really tall i find it better. As the mattress is 200cm long, UK standard is 190cm.

Associate
We've got the King version, and it's rock solid. Only problem at the mo is with some slat movement, but that's not the fault of the frame itself.

FAR better than the atrocious Argos bed we had before it.

Is the king version an odd size, meaning that you have to buy ikea bedding?
The girlfriend has spotted one she likes there.

Soldato
Is the king version an odd size, meaning that you have to buy ikea bedding?
The girlfriend has spotted one she likes there.

You do have to get the bedding from Ikea, yeah, as the sizes are Euro standard. I believe the one we have is one of the latex ones - very comfortable.

Soldato
OP
I have a Malm 140x200 bed.

Ive had it over a year now, excellent bed. I have the Hassleback mattress which is SO comfortable.

I haven't had any trouble with it, and i do not know how people manage to break theirs! You will need to get the mattress from Ikea or Habitat, but as i am really tall i find it better. As the mattress is 200cm long, UK standard is 190cm.

Good shout actually, my feet poke out of my bed atm. Its cold down there :(
Found the hassleback :) and ouch..

regards to bedding surely for the smaller ones a big sheet and big duvet/cover would be fine :D

Last edited:
Soldato
When I was living in Canada I had the Malm Double bed and for about 2 years I have had the Hopen bed with the hassleback mattress.

There is nothing I can say to sway your mind by reading your posts you have your mind set on it.

But, personally with hindsight I would not have bought it. The frame itself while attractive to look at before you actually own it is nice and all, you will bang your legs and have "some" discomfort getting in and out of bed every night. Believe me when I say this! It WILL!

The Malm I had no problem with to be honest, I cant remember the mattress I had with that one but it was bought from IKEA too, felt like nothing special.

I had a cheap Argos single bed back before all these and it was complete crap but the IKEA ones are not much better. Myself and my wife have travelled quite a bit and we always note how nice the beds are (We stay from 3 star to 5).

If you look around at some proper UK bed stores you will find a similar priced good deal. I was going to do this before I bought my bed but it was probably the style of the frame I liked that made me do it..

Big mistake!

Soldato
OP
havent made my mind up at all yet (waiting on summer job conrifmation before i do a lot of things atm) and this is one of them :)

I have been looking around, and beds seem to be starting from 300-400 quid for a nice double. I simply dont have that as a starting base.

In all honesty im not looking for a bed for life, im just a student with the want(need)desire for a slightly better than my painfull/annoying bed atm, that will last for a few years to come.
The ikea is appealing due to its general cheapness compared, and (arguabaly) solid frame work. Also the length (im sick of sleeping diagonally in bed.. lol)

Soldato
The solid build I would say is pretty decent. Someone mentioned that the slats are 2 singles split across a bar in the middle of the bed and that would be correct! At first you think to yourself surely that won't hold but it does it quite well.

Its the comfort and the Hopen frame in particular I dislike. I know for the same price I could get a lot better (If you shop around in the sales - which are all the time!).

It will last you for a few years though!

Associate
A sunnier or damper area than Ron-ski....
Hey I got a hopen last year - really nice bed, dead comfy (prefer firm mattress, so love all the options you get with IKEA mattresses) European sizes are slightly different (can't remember, think it's length slightly longer?) but I've just bought standard king sheets/duvets and fits perfectly...

Highly recommend.

Back
Top Bottom