Ikea light - what is this for?

Man of Honour
I'm going to assume it is this:

the capacitor acts as a controlling impedance thus dropping voltage and controlling the current through the LEDs. And, because the voltage across the cap and current through the cap are always 90 degrees apart, the capacitor does not theoretically dissipate power. resistor dropper would generate heat because voltage and current are in-phase.

Pretty horrid way to do it if that is the case but probably kind of necessary that it is there if it is used in that way.

Associate
I know this reply is rather too late to be of much use, but the device is an HR250-080 PTC thermistor. It will only carry about 80mA without tripping. I assume that it's there to prevent a lamp of more than about 10W being used in the fitting. That would preclude most incandescent lamps and ensure that only low-wattage CFL or LED lamps are used. It is probably there to protect the luminaire from excess heat, or to comply with some EU regulation about maximum energy consumption.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
I know this reply is rather too late to be of much use, but the device is an HR250-080 PTC thermistor. It will only carry about 80mA without tripping. I assume that it's there to prevent a lamp of more than about 10W being used in the fitting. That would preclude most incandescent lamps and ensure that only low-wattage CFL or LED lamps are used. It is probably there to protect the luminaire from excess heat, or to comply with some EU regulation about maximum energy consumption.

What a fantastic first post, thank you

Soldato

There's me thinking it was just a Chinese Wifi packet sniffer :D

Back
Top Bottom