Ikea Markus - worth it for a student?

Soldato
Make sure to try out any chairs before buying - for some reason the Markus was highly recommend on OcUK but I'm glad I tried it in Ikea because I thought it was awful. :p

Exactly the same bought it thinking it was comfy got home with it and after a few hours hated it and sold it to the next door neighbour. He loves it :p

Soldato
Yes.

Although the base isn't amazing, the leather is loose/creased after 6 months of ownership.

It's not comfy in the soft leather sofa chair comfy sense though but it is comfy as far as normal chairs go IMO.

How big is the package that these come in?

Small enough to fit into a coupe with the seats down?

I squeezed mine into a Ford Fiesta.

Last edited:
Soldato
I didn't find mine super comfy at first, particularly as my previous chair had no lower back support, but I gave it a few days and found once I'd adjusted it was nice. I'd consider upgrading eventually, but unless you can find one second hand, most of the ergo chairs are like £400+. Any chair you should really demo for a bit if you can.

Mesh back is nice too, leather is fine unless you're wearing shorts otherwise you go to move and find your leg is stuck and you have to peel it off.

Associate
bought one yesterday for like 130$ ( converted from local currency) the whole experience was great from going online checking it out, going to ikea straight away trying it, loving it, then going to the storage aisle to pick it up in it's box ( can fit in the backseat of any care easily) then going home and putting it together in 20 min. I was using it all night yesterday and my neck pain has gone.
I got the ash fiber one, I was so tired of those cheap synthetic executive office chairs where their padding just flatten out and leave my behind of bare metal. this was my 1st "brand name" chair and I think it's totally worth it.
it has a 10 years warranty, so far it seems that the fiber seat patting is hard enough not to flatten out over time. only time can tell. but it definitely feel a lot sturdier and more solid than my previous chair. no creaking, no weird sounds, no clicking, and the one I got has a rubber arm wrests, unlike the leather one which has pads that are prone to flatten.
now I can game and do my computer assignments with comfort.
I should also add that there is a zipper area in the back area ( to remove or replace the mesh part) where I think will serve as a perfect spot to stash emergency money in it. I can confirm it can house as much as 1000$ without anyone noticing. so thats a bonus.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Had one of these. Felt comfy in the store, and for a couple of weeks when I got it home. The lumbar was very intrusive but I thought it'd grow on me. It didn't grow on me. Sold it in the end, couldn't return it as I'd managed to put it together so firmly that it wouldn't come apart again, and the IKEA was about 150 miles away :(

Moral of the story; don't assume because it's comfy in store that it'll stay comfy forever, you might grow to hate it like I did :p

Soldato
I wouldn't recommend. I've got one, it's OK, but not that good. Dunno otherwise. Staples Kashmir? Someone always have to mention it, so here goes.

Oh yeah. My Markus is a squeaker. Should probably do something about that.

Man of Honour
I have one. I find it quite good. My frustration with it is the arm rests are just the wrong hight for my desk meaning that I had to sit far away or remove them (which is what I did in the end)

Back
Top Bottom