I'm about to get back into e39 ownership..

Soldato
If it blows up, don't come looking for me. :p

Or me. Congratulations - hope it all goes smoothly. Stick up some decent pics for us. :)

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/4120663.htm

It's far to pricey for what it is, but I keep looking at if for my wife, looks an example that Fox would own, i.e. no seat dimples. I am going to buy Fox's when he finally sells it, crush it and deliver it back to him as a cube of metal to show on his lawn.

Oh wow - looks like a rare gem! But 8k?! 6 tops, I'd say, and it would have to be concours inside, out and underneath for that. 8 is dreaming - that's double what I paid for my 530, also Topaz Blue (awesome colour), with 54,000 miles, FBMWSH, 2 owners. Plus mine has some decent options - leccy memory comfort seats, DSP, rear and side blinds and double glazing. OK that has comms nav and wheels I'd kill for, but 8k? No way. I dont see heated seat buttons despite the claim in the ad, too. Also ideally needs de-chaving of the M badge, black kidneys and 'carbon fibre'.

The seller literally has to hope Fox writes his off tomorrow and sees that ad whilst still in shock/grief to even stand a chance. I wonder if even Fox would really pay that :).

Caporegime
Will it be the same for over here though with ambient temperatures in Sydney being at least 20C higher all year round than the UK?

Seems you are partially correct, BMW specify that you should NOT use an LL04 oil in NZ or Australia, due to fuel available I think.

You should be using Castrol Softec TXT (which will be the OE BMW oil, likely to be a rebranded EDGE or similar for consumers), which is an LL01 oil.

Soldato
OP
The garage put ELF Excellium GP 10w-50 into it which doesn't appear to be LL01. Should I change it straight away? Car came with a spare oil filter as previous owner did oil changes every 5000kms.

I'll be running the car on BP Ultimate 98 or V-power.

Soldato

Lack of Sport kit makes the e39 look much more old fashioned. Perhaps it's subjective because I'm used to looking at pictures of Sport models? Most people probably view it as just some old BMW?

Soldato
Lack of Sport kit makes the e39 look much more old fashioned. Perhaps it's subjective because I'm used to looking at pictures of Sport models? Most people probably view it as just some old BMW?

Agreed. Almost looks 10 years older ;/

Soldato

I totally agree. Changing bumpers and door moulding strip is easy though :). And being a V8 it already has the sport seats and sport suspension, plus this one also has the sport wheels.

Soldato
The oil isn't even LL01 approved. I wonder about garages over here..

So I'm picking up 10l of 5w-30 or 0w-40 Castrol Edge (trying to decide which) tomorrow and hoping that I can get access to my mates workshop. Long list of stuff to do!

See if Costco have it?

You will have to fight with the unwashed masses though, it's a hateful place.

Soldato
They have one or two branches in Sydney. I've been to the one on Paramatta Road.

And yes, your English card does work there.

It's over-run by thousands of foreign people, the car parking is a nighmare and the city is terrible for driving in.

:p

Soldato
OP
Hey Berger, want to meet me there tomorrow?? :D

5w-30 is on special @ $56 for 5l at Repco which isn't too bad, so I'll pick up two of those. Car came with an oil filter (Ryco) which is good, won't have to buy that.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
5W30 is what seems to get recommended the most, but to be honest so long as it's LL04 marked then it will be fine.

Actually no, it takes LL01 not 04. This might seem pedantic 04 is fine in Europe but BMW specifically say no to ll04 in most of the rest of the world due to sulphur content in fuel. This is why for example only Europe got the N53 engine. It's definitely the case for the USA and I am pretty sure Australia as well.

Back
Top Bottom