I'm after a family camcorder

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Any recommendations on a decent, light, durable but good quality camcorder that will last us the next 5-10 years?

Thanks

Caporegime
Any recommendations on a decent, light, durable but good quality camcorder that will last us the next 5-10 years?

Thanks

10 years?

No.

Durable? I am sure most will last (if it has a detachable battery which you can change to keep it fresh).

Good quality? mostly all of them these days.

Personally I would get something like an DJI Osmo Pocket, it should last you a couple of years, it has a built in gimble and very small which you won't hate to take anywhere. It has face tracking so I would think even a child can use it.

Caporegime
That's next level.

I was thinking something more like the or similar.

Can't see why it wouldn't last 10 years? Are we talking obsolescence of tech or build quality?

A £300 camera is next level? But a £800 one isn’t?

Any camera will last 10 years and all of them will look ancient in 10 years in tech terms. Technology is moving at a really fast pace in video, the best ones will makes the video more steady, the it focuses and track faces, 4K, WiFi etc etc. I really don’t think these handycam style camera will stay as you can shoot video in any compact camera these days.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
A £300 camera is next level? But a £800 one isn’t?

Any camera will last 10 years and all of them will look ancient in 10 years in tech terms. Technology is moving at a really fast pace in video, the best ones will makes the video more steady, the it focuses and track faces, 4K, WiFi etc etc. I really don’t think these handycam style camera will stay as you can shoot video in any compact camera these days.
Next level because it looks more like my toothbrush than it does any of my old camcorders.

I think they'll be around for a while still yet just maybe not in as big numbers.

I have had a sony handycam for the last 8 years going strong and will keep using it as does the job fine.
Yeh thinking of sticking with a band that's been making them since I was a lad.

Will look at Sony too, my slr is a Sony and performs adequately

Caporegime
Next level because it looks more like my toothbrush than it does any of my old camcorders.

I think they'll be around for a while still yet just maybe not in as big numbers.

Yeh thinking of sticking with a band that's been making them since I was a lad.

Will look at Sony too, my slr is a Sony and performs adequately

I think that's the attraction, its size. The main gripe for a lot of the time is the size, this is tiny and packs a punch.

To be honest, as I said before, I think all these old camcorder's are on its last gasp, they are of a design of a time, to fit tapes etc into, these days a single SD card can hold a lot of footage so there is no reason for them to be that size, even with a zoom. Something like a Sony RX100 will track better, BIGGER sensor, fits in your pocket and simply better in every way.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
I get the appeal and it does intice you but its new tech yet to stand the test of time.

The hand cams are tiny and light these days anyway.

The RX100 is a camera, why choose that over a dedicated handycam style one?

Caporegime
I get the appeal and it does intice you but its new tech yet to stand the test of time.

The hand cams are tiny and light these days anyway.

The RX100 is a camera, why choose that over a dedicated handycam style one?

Apart from the shape, what does the Handycam do that’s better?

A lot of film makers these days shoot on a camera, video features on them are good enough for professional environments so it’s plenty enough for home videos.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
That's what you're supposed to tell me.

I have a DSLR. Wifey has a decent point and shoot. We're after a dedicated camcorder for use indoor, outdoor, all lighting and weather conditions etc.

Caporegime
That's what you're supposed to tell me.

I have a DSLR. Wifey has a decent point and shoot. We're after a dedicated camcorder for use indoor, outdoor, all lighting and weather conditions etc.

The answer is nothing. The handyman style is purely used as a marketing trick to make.less informed buyers make a purchase.

A sony RX100 is more capable than most handyman until start hitting some serious money. At that point it isn't even about the quality though, but features used by professionals.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Hmmm... so with that info then there isn't much point in buying a dedicated unit if my NEX 7 and the wife's WX500 do the job sufficiently.

Although my NEX7 is quite old now and only shoots video for 30mins annoyingly, the wife's WX500 is decent at video but a bit small for me.

Still can't shake the need for a quick grab dedicated camcorder for birthdays, holidays etc. Maybe Raymond's original suggestion wasn't that bad an idea...

Last edited:

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Quite a few times. Christmas, kids birthdays, I set the camera in the corner on a tripod for my sons first Christmas only to realise it'd stopped after 30mins. Bull****.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
What did you think I was using it for? Film lord of the rings?

Money ain't a problem, I just want something good that will last and do the job.

No gimmicky gyro that will break after 2 years.

Caporegime
What did you think I was using it for? Film lord of the rings?

Money ain't a problem, I just want something good that will last and do the job.

No gimmicky gyro that will break after 2 years.

Like hand hold it and shoot your children? As in handy in the handy cam?

Not putting it down in the corner of the room and video every second.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
It will be for both. I just gave an example of when I shoot over 30 min like you asked. But it will be used following them around the house or on holidays or school **** etc.

Caporegime
I would still go for the osmo pocket or the RX100 V.l, or even both.

That’s me but it seems you’ve made up your mind though. It will work but I think it’s not the wisest of purchase considering what is out on the market these days, compare to 10 years ago when handycam was pretty much the only way you can shoot video.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
No mind has been made yet.

Considering the cameras we already have will an RX100 give us anything else? Or do we relegate the wife's WX500 to a dedicated video cam, I give her my NEX7 and then I get my Canon 5d mk2 I regret not buying when I bought my NEX-7 8 odd years ago (or today's equivalent).

Back
Top Bottom