I'm back in town! (Cuba holiday + pictures)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Excellent write up sounds fantastic, only 7 weeks left before i go too :D What do you recommend to take money wise ?? I was going to take £ as I read they charge you a surcharge for dealing with $ as they are getting back at the US but not with any other currency.

Man of Honour
OP
Bear said:
Excellent write up sounds fantastic, only 7 weeks left before i go too What do you recommend to take money wise ?? I was going to take £ as I read they charge you a surcharge for dealing with $ as they are getting back at the US but not with any other currency.

Well if you take money out at a bank or a cadeca or a cajero (ATM) it will automatically convert it to US$ anyway - so frankly you might as well just take US Dollars, however banks and cadeca seem to accept Euros now. Check the exchange rate though to see what deal is best for you. I brought $400 with me and then just took out some money from an ATM. There is a surcharge for using the dollar, but they charge that and deal with US$ on purpose so as to make a bit of money on it - certainly from GBP to US. I never did change any Euros so they might not convert it to US - in which case it might work out better. Depending on where you go of course. I saw Europeans in the queue changing Euros without any issues.

It's going to be hot hot hot when you go. ;) It was already hovering around high 20s to low 30s for us - needless to say I feel quite the outcast with a deep tan :p Though during that time the humidity does go quite high too - it wasn't TOO bad over the last couple of weeks - we actually had amazing weather, I don't think you'll have anything to worry about in that respect ;)

Thanks for the comments - I must say that I did write that up in a rather erratic manner as my brain is a little like mush at the moment! :p I can certainly expand on topics should you have any questions, but you'll discover your own stories and secrets, so I won't be giving the joy and excitement of it away. :)

Soldato
Excellent write-up Will, the Cuban tourist board should pay you commission for that!!

To be totally frank, I'd never really considered going to Cuba, but after reading your post, I might have to reconsider that.

Man of Honour
OP
Once again thanks for your kind comments :)

I have got the pictures developped, I've got over 200 of the buggers, but I've put about 90 odd up for viewing. I haven't got time at the moment to put comments on each picture so you'll just have to ask me about them, or post them and embarass me :p

I would have posted them all except there are just too many and it'd probably just kill the forum. Now I'm not a web designer and just use textpad so you'll have to excuse the crude website! :o

Feel free to post up pics you have questions about or if you just want to tease me, I'll happily answer questions of where and what we were doing - I'll get round to doing captions sometime...

The album can be found here: http://www.wmr.me.uk/albums/Cuba/index.html

The big black birds are vultures. There's a picture of us in a nightclub which is in a cave but the pictures didn't come out very well. There's also a picture of an old man dancing by himself in the street - that was hillarious but brilliant!

The skinny elderly man next to Roz served with Che during the revolution - boy did he have interesting stories to tell!

There's of course all the pictures of beaches, and typical streets and buildings in and around cuba. As well as some of the anti USA posters they have lying around.

There's a blood donor bank which looks a bit decrepit and dodgy but actually the medical health care is notoriously excellent.

Lots of scenery etc.. Not many night shots as they didn't come out very well and we were often too caught up in the night to remember or were just too sozzled! :p

Anyway, enjoy! :)

Soldato
Just saw your album mate. Suffice to say you have a very hairy chest indeed :p

Beautiful place isn't it! I want to go soon, hopefully. If not there then anywhere with a little bit of sun.

Edit: Just reread, I want to go abroad, not in your hairy chest :p

Soldato
um well i´ve been feeling abit shaken today after last night.

basically, ****** outta my tree, was in a pretty dead club with my mates, remember dancin and then sitting down, next thing i know im in a wheelchair being pushed around a hospital, speak to the docter he asking me if ive taken anything or if i smoke blah blah, i told him i was ****** he wrote down some **** and then said i could get the metro home so i spent the next 20 minuets asking every person i see how to get to the metro and managed to find it, got back into the hostel at about twenty past seven this morning and asked the lasy to translate the docters thing that he was writing on, the jist of it is that the police found me sleeping or lying down against a wall somewhere, smelling of drink and took me to the hospital.
i dont know how long i was outside or gone from the club or what happened during that time and its pretty much sketching me the hell out

Read the FAQs - star your swear words please, especially in my thread

edit - sorry for the language :( , thought i got rid of it (cut and paste jobby)

Man of Honour
OP
eXSBass said:
Just saw your album mate. Suffice to say you have a very hairy chest indeed :p

Beautiful place isn't it! I want to go soon, hopefully. If not there then anywhere with a little bit of sun.

Edit: Just reread, I want to go abroad, not in your hairy chest :p
lol! :D Yeah I've got one or two spots of fur... :p

It is a beautiful place. I have about another 200 pics or so, but I haven't really got the courage to put them up tonight - might do a proper album over the weekend. :)

Soldato
Freefaller said:
lol! :D Yeah I've got one or two spots of fur... :p

It is a beautiful place. I have about another 200 pics or so, but I haven't really got the courage to put them up tonight - might do a proper album over the weekend. :)

I'm looking forward to them mate :) Just outa curiosity, how is a Cuban Cigar. Sensation wise :p

Soldato
Sounds like you had a fantastic time from your write-up mate, and some good pics too :)

I've got a bit of a craving now to get a decent cigar and head to the pub with some mates for a smoke :)

Man of Honour
Wow, sounds and looks like you had a fantastic time, Will :)

I've visited the Carribean once and fell in love with it, and I've visited Latin America quite a few times. The place really is completely different to over here....I love it. Totally.

Never been to cuba though, but after seeing/hearing your experience, it's on my list. Never considered it much before :)

Can't wait until the summer now, when I'll hopefully be going to Mexico with my girlfriend again :)

Baz

Baz

Soldato
Looks and sounds excellent Freefaller, me and the missus to be are going to Cuba in 13 weeks, getting married out there :D

though the travel agent who we know said they didn't accept $$ any more and to take sterling, now i'm confused... We're not going to Havana or any major towns while we're there, just chilling in the Cayos, :cool:

Man of Honour
OP
Baz said:
Looks and sounds excellent Freefaller, me and the missus to be are going to Cuba in 13 weeks, getting married out there :D

though the travel agent who we know said they didn't accept $$ any more and to take sterling, now i'm confused... We're not going to Havana or any major towns while we're there, just chilling in the Cayos, :cool:

The currency is confusing over there. I can assure you though they they do take the US dolla, and certainly when taking money out with my card it coverted it to US$ before converting it to CUC (convertible cuban peso). They will of course change GBP but they for some reason prefer the dollar.

It was excellent and I miss it terribly. It's cold and raining, I'm not with Roz everyday, I'm back at work, and I miss not having to do anything all day! :p

Big Chris said:
Those beaches look awesome, and I've just been getting rained/snowed on this past week.
They were... What am I doing home?! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom