I'm convinced...

Associate
I'm convinced Apple tank your iPhone battery once a new iteration comes in to tempt you into upgrading?

I cannot factually back this up but, it can't be by chance that my new iPhone will have perfect battery for a year and then all of a sudden absolutely tank maybe 3/4 months into a new release of the next generation phone? If it was gradual degradation I would accept but its not.

I feel like Apple are implementing some sort of software to manipulate this and I really want some bright spark out there to prove it even though I know chances are slim.

Does anyone else feel the same?

Permabanned
I've heard this and not only Apple, seems common even if you do charge it carefully not continually everything you come home (to condition the battery).

Did Apple not get some kind of lawsuit started against them for something like this a while back?

Soldato
Try not to update your device and if you can, do a factory reset, through I understand that some updates are permanent and can't be removed with that, maybe routing the device and installing a custom OS can help with it.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Yeah thats not what happens. If your phone gets to the stage where it is likely to crash trying to run the latest version of iOS then it will start to throttle it to avoid unexpected crashes and resets. What they did was wrong but threads like this explain perfectly why they do it and don't say anything. The average user doesn't have a clue about tech and all they will hear is "apple is making my device slow for no reason at all". If they left old devices to just crash a lot then you would get people complaining that their device is crashing for no reason.

Does your 5 year old computer still run as fast now as it did then? No. Software improves its feature set and unsurprisingly requires more processing power to keep up and remain performant. Its the same with all electronics that have static hardware but get software updates.

Permabanned
PC is mains powered, phone and laptops battery are known to not be very good after approx 2 years of use.

Its not due to the fact software updated as it will probably be less power hungry as new phones /OS boast about this and use software to save battery life (Android Pie onwards).

Soldato
I think the real trick Apple (and other phone manufacturers) have pulled off is convincing people is that it makes sense to spend upwards of four figures on what's effectively a throw away consumer device that realistically at best has a lifespan of around 3-4 years.

Regardless of it's cost you shouldn't be surprised when it dies or fails within that time frame IMO.

Caporegime
Yeah thats not what happens. If your phone gets to the stage where it is likely to crash trying to run the latest version of iOS then it will start to throttle it to avoid unexpected crashes and resets. What they did was wrong but threads like this explain perfectly why they do it and don't say anything. The average user doesn't have a clue about tech and all they will hear is "apple is making my device slow for no reason at all". If they left old devices to just crash a lot then you would get people complaining that their device is crashing for no reason.

Does your 5 year old computer still run as fast now as it did then? No. Software improves its feature set and unsurprisingly requires more processing power to keep up and remain performant. Its the same with all electronics that have static hardware but get software updates.

If you want to drink the kool aid that's fine, but ignoring all the usual tin foil hattery all over the net and concentrating purely on my own experience, there was a noticeable point in phone technology when this suddenly became an issue. I can't give you an accurate time but I'd say it was about 5 years ago when my phones went from natural slow dragradation of batteries to noticeable steps.

Could be a new battery tech, could be a million things, but it's a bit too coincidental for my liking and I'm yet to find a convincing argument to explain it away. The fact that Apple was busted doing it doesn't help matters either.

Back
Top Bottom