Im going skiing - what do i need?

Associate
When are you going to Bulgaria? And where...
I'll keep an eye out for you out there - just so i can come cut you up and push you over ;)

Think everythings been covered... have a great time!

Man of Honour
You need:

1) Warm t-shirt as a baselayer. Fleece as a second layer. Warm, waterproof and breathable (at least 5000/5000) ski jacket as a top layer. . :)

There is literally no point buying a breathable jacket and wearing a warm t-shirt. if the sweat is trapped in a cotton t-shirt you will get cold. You need a wicking base layer.

Caporegime
There is literally no point buying a breathable jacket and wearing a warm t-shirt. if the sweat is trapped in a cotton t-shirt you will get cold. You need a wicking base layer.

If you're new to skiing and want to keep it simple (and cheap) then a t-shirt or rollneck is ok, done it in the past when i've needed to and it's been fine

Soldato
Well that's what i took with me, even took some extra skis for the girafe had to rub his feet with the vasiline to get his feet and and as we skiid down the slopes i was on his back playing the violin.

Associate
Anyho, back on topic...

There are a few different types of lens on the eBay shop Richdog posted, I'm not sure what would be a good all rounder? any advice? I have a set of sunglasses for uber bright weather

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2009-RAYZOR-UV400-ANTIFOG-SKI-SNOWBOARD-GOGGLES-RRP-119_W0QQitemZ190279339653QQihZ009QQcategoryZ21230QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
UV400 High Contrast Clear Yellow Anti-Glare Lens
Enhances Visibility in Low Light Conditions Such As Snow Falls or Heavy Clouds.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2009-RAYZOR-UV400-ANTIFOG-SKI-SNOWBOARD-GOGGLES-RRP-119_W0QQitemZ190279386059QQihZ009QQcategoryZ90882QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
UV400 Red / Black Smoked Mirrored Anti-Glare Revo Lens

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2009-RAYZOR-UV400-ANTIFOG-SKI-SNOWBOARD-GOGGLES-RRP-119_W0QQitemZ200297372753QQihZ010QQcategoryZ90882QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
UV400 Blue Iridium Mirrored Anti-Glare Revo Lens

Man of Honour
If you're new to skiing and want to keep it simple (and cheap) then a t-shirt or rollneck is ok, done it in the past when i've needed to and it's been fine

sorry but I think this is bad advice^

a wicking layer doesn't have to be expensive - i have a bunch that were less than a tenner each. once you've spent a day in a freezing wet t-shirt (as i have) you will regret being cheap about it, doesn't make a difference if new to it or not.

re lenses, a yellow lens will serve you well in low vis

Caporegime
I'm not saying it's not a good idea to get a wicking layer, i'm just saying i've used a cotton t-shirt/polo and been fine numerous times in all kinds of weather conditions. The small costs all add up, and maybe the OP will hate it and never go again... you never know.

EDIT - Ok I didn't quite realise how dirt cheap you could get them... i've only bought the technical ones from HH etc and I didn't realise they were so cheap for normal ones. Get one OP! http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/Ski_Snowboard/Thermals_Base_Layers/sc1368.aspx

Last edited:
Soldato
I''ve just bought all my stuff, first timer too.

Needed:
Jacket
Sallapettes
Goggles
Thermals (top + long johns)
Ski socks

Optional:
Helmet

I bought all of the above for £150 from Decathlon and Mountain Warehouse. The latter has a massive sale on at the moment - my jacket was £60 down from £120, sallapettes £20 down from £80, and thermals BOGOF.

Permabanned
We went to Bulgaria and it was really cheap, but the food wasn't brilliant. One on one lessons were incredibly cheap so you may be able to make the best of those.

Is there not a hire shop near you that you can rent this stuff from as you may hate it and decide to opt for boarding that needs different equipment. Don't know where you are but have a look on Yell or similar.

Don't forget sunscreen or you may end up looking like a panda if the sun is strong, but everyone else seems to have everything covered.

Permabanned
This is very important!!!

Wear sun cream!! i didnt on my very first day and i had such really really bad sunburns for the rest of the week on my face, it ruined my whole holiday big time!!!

It wasnt that sunny really, it was beacuse of the glare on the snow and the wind was really sharp, almost cutting into my skin!

skin on the same night as i went skiing on my first day turned tyipcal sunburnt red then then next morning it was terrible, the skin on my face was pussing, falling off in chunks(lol zombie)

But i went with a big group of people and it was so hard to be around everyone with my face like this, and also going to other places. Had to try and go skiing as much as i could and had to wear a face mask, people thought i was the Elephant man or Micheal jackson.

Suncream! use it lol.

Soldato
If you haven't skied before you will fall over lots and sweat lots. Take more than one pair of gloves so you can let the wet pairs dry out properly. Wicking base layers are a must as a wet T-shirt is just miserable and cold.

Make sure that all your other layers are breathable as well or you will just end up wet and cold.

One thing that no-one else has mentioned is insurance, GET IT.

Also if you get the chance get some dry-slope lessons as you will be able to get the beginner bits out of the way letting you explore far more of the mountains.

The first time I went skiing, I spent about 10 lessons (a weeks worth if in a resort) on a dry slope. The result was that by the end of the first day I was happy on blues/greens and slow, but OK on reds. At the end of the week I was coming down easier blacks mostly in control with stem turns. Far better than being stuck on greens all week learning snow ploughs.

Soldato
I'm off to Bulgaria in a couple of weeks myself. Haven't been skiing for 10 years but I'm hoping it all comes back to me!

What are you doing with regards to money? Are you taking some Lev or sterling and changing it out there? Is it worth taking travellers cheques or cash?

Back
Top Bottom