I'm going to make syrup sponge pudding

Soldato
It seems difficult to find in the shops apart from those silly small twin packs, so I'm going to have a go as I adore this pudding! And it'll probably taste even nicer being homemade :)

Has anyone here made one? I've just watched this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOcADvK6TjE&t=15s

It looks pretty straightforward though there are quite a few steps and ingredients.

What sugar would be better? It seems it can be golden caster or light muscovado.

What would be a good heat to set, given that my hob goes from 0 to 9. Put it at 4?

Is it that important to add lemon zest and lemon juice? Because another video, this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFmNpI-ovEA

does everything the same but doesn't add any lemon.

Soldato
OP
I'm surprised you find it hard to find. I see it all over the place.

I used to be able to buy the Lyle's golden syrup sponge pudding from Tesco. It's 500g size, quite substantial and was about £3. Can't find it anywhere now. Saw one today that Tesco makes for £2 and that's 300g, not bad. And of course it's easy to get those small Mr Kipling 100g tubs. But I want a BIG sponge pudding! So I thought sod it, I'll make my own.

Caporegime
I used to be able to buy the Lyle's golden syrup sponge pudding from Tesco. It's 500g size, quite substantial and was about £3. Can't find it anywhere now. Saw one today that Tesco makes for £2 and that's 300g, not bad. And of course it's easy to get those small Mr Kipling 100g tubs. But I want a BIG sponge pudding! So I thought sod it, I'll make my own.

That Tate and Lyle one was awesome warmed up with double cream. I saw it in Tesco not long ago.

Soldato
OP
Yep agreed. Those Heinz canned steamed puddings were a pile of steaming..erm.. pudding. :D The Lyles on the other hand are superb and not in a tin.

That Tate and Lyle one was awesome warmed up with double cream. I saw it in Tesco not long ago.

I usually have it with lashings and lashings of custard. :cool:

How long ago did you see it? It's not been in either of my locals for about 2 years now.

Btw, I noticed that the Tesco one I mentioned, the 300g one, they're doing a two for £3 offer, so that would be 600g of syrup sponge. :eek: Quite tempting but will give it a miss and still make my own.

Caporegime
Yeah, microwave syrup sponge isn't too bad. Not as good as steamed but it changes it from something you need to have organised with plenty of time to a feeling peckish snack.

Also, I've never added lemon juice. Make it with and without, see which you prefer (although I've never added vanilla either - although I may try next time).

Soldato
I absolutely love steamed sponge pudding. Put custard on and that's about perfect for me.

When I've got time I'll steam them but they come out pretty good in the microwave. The texture isn't quite the same but it's so much quicker.

Soldato
OP
Ah, so what you guys are saying is, use the same recipe and do everything the same, except I can forget foil and string and 2 hours steaming and just cook it in the microwave for a few minutes? And it will taste as good?

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Do not make it.

You will end up making all the time and eating bowl upon bowl (with ice cream) bad for waistline.

Soldato
eh .. a proper British syrup pudding has suet in it ? ; that is the full fat pudding & afaik they did not recategorize this fat as good for you.

goto pudding is this (could leave out ginger if you want pure syrup)

Ingredients
150ml Milk
2 Tablespoons of Golden Syrup
1 Egg
100g Breadcrumbs
1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
175g Shredded Suet
1 Teaspoon of Ground Ginger
100g Plain Flour
1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda

Ginger Pudding - Serves 4
Delicious winter warming steamed pudding. Variations can be achieved by substituting leaving out the ground ginger and using jam instead of golden syrup. Serve hot with custard.
Method
Warm the milk to simmering point and stir in the golden syrup and beaten egg. Mix together well. Stir in the breadcrumbs, sugar and suet. Sift the flour, ground ginger and baking soda together and add to the rest of the mixture and mix well.
Pour the finished mixture into a large, well greased, pudding basin. Cover with a sheet of well greased paper and tie in place with string. Form a loop over the top of the pudding with the string to form a handle to lift the basin into and out of the steamer.
Steam for 2 hours. Remember to check the steam every 30 minutes to ensure it doesn't boil dry. Turn out and serve with custard.

Soldato
OP
Thanks jpaul and Illgresi, I only saw your posts after buying my ingredients just now, but might try suet and adding treacle next time.

Well I've bought my intended ingredients. Since I'm free tomorrow, I've decided to go the full distance and steam it for 2 hours.I want to get the best flavour and texture I can. I've also decided to add lemon juice, and will also grate zest. Apparently I have to be careful not to grate beyond the yellow as the white underneath is bitter. I don't have 3 large eggs, I happen to have a box of mediums, but I believe 4 mediums is the equivalent.

I just need to buy a 1.2 litre ceramic pudding basin. I don't have a ball of string or a tea saucer so I guess I'll pop round to my good old mum to borrow those. :p

I'll update with pics on the result. :)

20161217_174740.jpg

Soldato
OP
So I've put it all together and it's now cooking. I'm an hour into steaming and taste test about 3am, lol. :p My mum gave me her Breville food mixer and a zest tool, so that was awesome and helped speed things up. But generally took me ages preparing everything, and cleaning up as I went.
Sorry for all the photos, it's as much a future record for me to see what the process was.

Buttered basin, and both sides buttered baking paper stuck to foil and then pleated.

20161218_230527.jpg

All my ingredients measured out including freshly shaved lemon zest and freshly squeezed juice.

20161218_235219.jpg

Sugar and butter to start mixing

20161218_235451.jpg

Rest of ingredients in

20161219_000321.jpg

20161219_000837.jpg

Baking paper cutout for bottom of basin and poured 4 tablepoons of syrup in.
That stuff is hard to work with, VERY thick. Tastes great licking it from fingers as did the mixture :D

k00mz9.jpg

20161219_003014.jpg

Strung up and ready for steaming.

20161219_004041.jpg

Steaming.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Stuck a knife in after 1 hour 55 minutes, came out clean, so was time to open her up. Wow! For my first ever attempt, I think it worked out great. Tastes awesome. :D Syrup sponge pudding.. done!

20161219_025939.jpg

20161219_030912.jpg

The underside came out with a big crater though where it didn't rise, not sure why. Maybe removing the lid a few times to check the water level stopped it rising?

https://s30.postimg.org/7jec15vb5/Sunk.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Served with custard I see. Good man!

You do need to check the water level occasionally and definitely don't let it boil dry. I usually steam mine for a minimum of 2 hours but 3 if I have the time. You can steam it as long as you like, it won't overcook but I find there's a point after it's 'cooked' (it, the knife comes out clean) that it'll lighten up a bit and become a bit fluffier. 3 hours seems to be the sweet spot for me.

Did you put anything on the bottom of the pan? I use an upturned side plate to keep the bottom of the pudding basin from getting the direct heat of the gas.

Soldato
Looks great - did you eat the rest for breakfast (you made it at 3am?)

couple of other tips: clear pyrex basin to be able to see what is happening, a few meat skewers works as a trivet too, bit of grease proof at sharp end helps with extraction, with pressure cooker can become faster food.

Back
Top Bottom