I'm moving to Glasgow next month - any OcUKers from there?

Soldato
As title, any members from Glasgow or know the area well? I'm escaping Aberdeen and starting a new job there next month (should be 22nd August but might come forward a week) so I'm looking for a flat, can anyone recommend areas to look at, and areas to avoid? I'll be working in the vicinity of Glasgow Caledonian University but have been looking at flats a little further out of the city centre. I can drive so travelling in to work shouldn't be an issue, but I'm wondering if I'll regret being a few miles out of town when it comes to wanting to go out etc.

So far I keep coming back to a flat in Springboig, I'm told the area "is okay, but not the best". Anyone able to suggest some other places to look at?

Cheers. :)

Soldato
OP
Thanks all, I'll spend some time tonight looking at what I can get in those areas. It's annoying, because I keep gravitating towards the flat I mentioned at the start but I'm just not sold on the area.

Move to Edinburgh instead.... :p /joke

Maybe next time! I did actually apply for a job in Edinburgh last year, didn't get it though.

Dennistoun would do you well. Anywhere in between Duke Street and Alexandra Parade. It's a good area, lots of young professionals and students and some good bars and restaurants. It looks a bit rough round the edges but it's nice. It's walkable to town, and Glasgow Green which is a nice big park (with some good pubs as well). Plus, free plentiful parking and you're right on a major train line which will take you into Glasgow or out to Edinburgh.
What are you looking for in an area?
I wouldn't have thought you'd have to look outwith Glasgow if you're looking for a flat.

Thanks, I'll give those areas a look. Not really sure what I want to be honest, I don't necessarily need or want to be right on the doorstep of everything (especially as I'll be working shifts so somewhere quieter might be beneficial), and I have a car so but then everyone I talk to says it's easier and cheaper to just use public transport to get around anyway. That'll take a bit of getting used to, I'm used to driving everywhere! On the other hand, it sort of seems a shame to move to a vibrant, busy city then position myself miles out of town. Hopefully I can find a decent compromise between the two.

Soldato
OP
Are you a city kind of person? Glasgow has plenty of green space, but its still a fairly densely populated city. If your not a city person, have you looked at areas like Milngavie which have a more town like feel to them?

Cheers, I'll give that a look, sounds like it would be more my sort of thing than having the city right on my doorstep and it seems like transport links means it's easy and fairly quick to get into the city itself anyway.

The other thing my colleagues in Glasgow advised me when I considered working through there was that commuting in Glasgow is awful. Far worse than Aberdeen (I've experience of both). I see you're doing shifts so perhaps that won't matter, but I'd say if you're starting around 9 you probably want to be fairly close to work.

I'll be doing 7am starts, 2pm starts and 9pm starts mostly. Main thing is to find out if I can actually park at work because I'm not paying public car park prices each day!

Don't do this if you have a car, don't wanna fight you for spaces when I am at work lol

If you can afford the west end go for it, failing that Shawlands would be a close second these days. Queens park can be nice but stay far away from the Govanhill side of it. But my vote would be Shawlands.

Thanks, there was actually a flat I found in Shawlands that I thought I bookmarked but I can't find it now, I'll dig out out again. Need to get a day of viewings arranged next week.

Soldato
OP
Took a drive down for a few viewings today. One in Springboig which was fairly nice but I'm not entirely sure about the area. Another was in Cambuslang, nicer still and the area seems better but it's also a bit far from the city; it seems a bit of a shame to move down to Glasgow only to be miles away from it. I now need to decide whether I go for either of these two or take the risk of trying to arrange another round of viewings.

Also saw one in Kinning Park, nice area and much closer but the property itself was awful. Stank of cigarette smoke, carpets were very grubby and the bathroom was disgusting. It clearly hadn't been looked after.

Soldato
OP
I'd suggest you keep looking. Have you had a look at any places in the West End? Still central and far, far preferable to the areas you've looked at.

A bit, any areas to search for specifically? I've looked at Finnieston so far but it's quite expensive for anything that looks decent. Also looked at Dennistoun but same story there it seems.

The problem with continuing the search is that time isn't really on my side here, I start the new job on 22nd August so if it's another week until I can get down there for a second round of viewings, I'll be cutting it very close. :(

Soldato
OP
Cambuslang hrmmm only good thing is 10 minutes from Glasgow city centre by train. Its ok I guess just avoid the schemes. Town centre is a bit of a dive. Though if u like kart racing there's one 5 Minutes walk away

Coatbridge hrmmm not sure about that either.

Thanks, the immediate area around the flat seemed pretty good, lots of fairly new-builds and the flat itself can't be very old itself, but I did take a drive through the town and it wasn't very pretty. Bedrooms face onto the main road too, which could be annoying for noise.

Soldato
OP
What is your budget for rent? Might help narrow it down

£550-600, although the Cambuslang one was £625. I emailed them earlier to enquire if it had already been taken after the viewings yesterday, they've said it's still available. Just not sure I want to be spending that much on a place I'm not 100% sure on.

Have a look at Charing Cross, St Georges Cross, Maryhill Road, Firhill, Queens Cross and surrounding areas, much of a west end vibe with both students and young professionals but not so much of the cost. You are also within a couple of minutes walk from a subway station, busses every 6 minutes or so to the city centre or a 5 to 20 minute walk on a nice night if you feel so included to walk home from the city :)
Knighstwood, Whiteinch, Croftfoot, Kings Park, Hampden and Langside, The new Gorbals all within easy commute (or walk) to the city centre all within 5 minutes to 30 minutes travel.
If you want to move further afield maybe consider Paisley, 20 minute train ride in to Glasgow but has a real small town feel (it actually reminded me a lot of Paddington when I worked down south). Theres also Renfrew.

That's brilliant thanks, I'll check those areas out. I think I prefer the idea of being a bit closer to the city, I'm not usually one for that sort of thing but I'm trying to change things up by moving down there and be more outgoing. Plus it would mean less time spent getting to and from work, which is a plus. :)

Soldato
OP
Nothing much in the city then? That budget would get you something in there.

There is, but for the same thing as I've been looking for elsewhere (2 bed, reasonably modern finish, furnished, off-street parking) the price climbs well past £600. I'm trying to compromise as best I can though!

Just a quick search (only as an example please don't be offended lol), this one is around a 1 minute walk from the subway station and then its one stop to Cowcaddens subway station which you will probably get off for Cali Uni, if you feel in the mood its a 5 minute walk to Sauchiehall street at the top of the town or a 15-20 minute walk to Cali uni. its a decent area and has lots of amenities, including a Lidl and Farmfoods just around the corner ( around a 3 minute walk ) and a local shop and post office across from the front of your building. some restricted parking around the area but hey .. theres always Lidls car park and plenty other spaces around lol.
As I said just an example :) I am not trying to sell you anything.

http://www.s1rental.com/Flats-for-rent/2017062920511967.shtml

Cheers, I was actually looking at a couple of others in that area but for the money, they're a bit basic:
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-49413414.html

That would be so easy to get to work though, one subway stop then I'm pretty much at the office. I much prefer that idea to driving all the way out to Cambuslang and back.

What about Bridgeton? Found a couple of decent-looking flats there, I've had a quick look on Streetivew and it seems quite nice.

Soldato
OP
Seriously consider shawlands/the southside. I had a flat in shawlands when i first started out and it was great. I was less than 5 mins from junction 1 of the m77 which got me everywhere easily, had pollock park on my doorstep which was great for walks/the dog etc and was literally about a 6 minute train journey away from the city centre.

I've heard its the 'new west end' now so prices mightve risen slightly but you'll get so much more for your money compared to the west end; which imo is overcrowded, too much traffic, too much cars lining the streets(zero chance of a reliable parking spot) and massively overpriced for what it is.

Cambuslang...wouldnt entertain unless youre going for a more out of town new build estate or flat or something.

Never liked the idea of dennistoun given its surroundings.

Thanks, yeah the more I look at other areas the more I'm put off by the idea of living miles out of the city. I've definitely got a much better idea of where to look now, thanks chaps. I'll need to get some more viewings lined up ASAP.

Soldato
OP
alexander crescent gorbals v near city centre

nearby

heres a couple i found slightly above budget £650+ but better quality, gch, private parking, near city centre.

but hey the price should still be cheaper than Aberdeen...thats almost as bad as London for renting :p

Thanks, that first one looks fairly ideal although the cooker looks older than I am! £675 would be pushing my budget too far unfortunately, I don't want my pay rise to be wiped out entirely. The second one, I actually looked into some others in that Wallace St development last week, but apparently there's some real issues there with crime, drugs, antisocial behaviour etc. Surprising because at first glance it looks really nice.

It's not great, it's getting better - the Commonwealth Games and the Emirates Arena was meant to rejuvenate the area - it's not quite awful but I wouldn't live there. It's probably on par with Mastrick/Torry. If you can, go to Dennistoun.

Furnished or unfurnished?

I used to live in Aberdeen (well, Westhill). Where do you like in Aberdeen and I'll try and recommend a similar area in Glasgow.

Shawlands is a good area:
http://www.s1rental.com/Flats-for-rent/2017071320223291.shtml
http://www.s1rental.com/Flats-for-rent/2017071921000215.shtml

Damn, maybe not Bridgeton then. I'm looking for furnished, ideally 2-bed but I'm in a 1 bed at the moment so as long it's reasonably spacious I don't mind too much. A second room would be handy for guests but there's always the sofa.

When I was considering staying in Aberdeen I was going more for the Danestone area which is fairly quiet and residential. I live in Middlefield right now in a flat I got through a scheme at work, it's a crappy area so I'm keen to not repeat that experience again!

Edit: If I live on beans on toast for a year I could probably stretch to something like this:http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-60602176.html

It's Cathcart which looks close to Shawlands.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
some right holes have been mentioned. first of all he's working at or near caley uni. that means buchanan bus station or queen street are his best routes for public transport. parking is an issue in this area unless he's working at the uni. he will have plenty of space in their car park.

i know queen street is 1 stop to bishopbriggs and it's a 5 minute walk to the uni. it's a okay area. a lot better than some of the holes that have been mentioned so far. southside and west end make no sense on his budget and working area. 1-2 bed flats in jordanhill go for like £200K because of the school and locality. byres road again will be way out of budget. sure the west end would be the ideal place for most people but on £600 a month he won't be getting much at all. he might get something in anniesland which isn't the best of areas. it's okay.

east end of glasgow is a hole. people mentioning airdrie and coatbridge they are cheap for a reason they are absolutely miles away from Glasgow and he's working in the city. they are also not that great either.

Bishopbriggs sounds like the best area for him tbh. Most of the southside if not all of it train wise goes into central station (the wrong train station for him). will add an additional 10-15 minutes onto his walk

Kinning park is a crap area tbh. Finnieston much better if you can find within your budget.

Avoid Ibrox at all costs, whoever mentioned that must have been having a laugh. Avoid Springburn, Sighthill and most of the east end.

I think you would like Bishopbriggs. Milngavie again I would think would be out of budget it's basically a cheap Bearsden and Bearsden would be way out of budget.

I have never rented though but I am going off purchase prices of areas.

Thanks PS, someone else had recommended Bishopbriggs, just had another look but all the nice places are unfurnished for my budget, so I think that's out.

I've got two in Shawlands I'm going to enquire about, and one in Dennistoun, so that's not bad going so far. I'll have a look at Partick too.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the help folks, saw a couple more places this week in Shawlands. I like the area, both flats were decent but one has the edge with private parking and being really close to the train station. It's not perfect, the kitchen is tiny and there's only a washing machine and a standalone fridge, but I have a spare freezer I can put somewhere. More importantly, it means I'll have somewhere to live. Will be putting an offer in! :)

Soldato
OP
OP, this seems bang on. Get it!:)

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-49650594.html

I live a few streets away at Charing Cross and this is a good area. Right by the motorway and minutes to the city centre (by foot). Walking distance to all the bars and restaurants and the Hydro arena.

Just 1 mile to work.

Appreciate you looking, unfortunately it's already been taken. :(

I called about three other places today in Shawlands, all fully booked for viewings later this week so they're expecting them to go. Really frustrating.

Soldato
OP
Yeah that may be my best/only option soon. I've got a few phone calls to make tomorrow to find out about viewings that were taking place today to see if offers were made, also managed to arrange a viewing for a place on Sunday. If I can get a few more that day (or for Monday and stay the night) great, if not it'll just be a long drive down for the one. Really didn't expect it to be as hard as this though, I don't know if it's just because of the distance and not being able to get there instantly for viewings, but I've never had this issue of viewings being fully booked or anything before!

Soldato
OP
Went down for the one viewing yesterday, aaaaaand...success! It was really nice, 2 bedroom, decent sized rooms, en-suite, modern well-equipped kitchen, decent size living room, in a nice area. If I'm honest, it's probably not far off the mental image I had in my head of the sort of thing I wanted.

Phoned early this morning and they're sending over the forms today so I can reserve it. Yay! :D

Soldato
OP
Shawlands is a great choice. Crossmyloof train station I take it? Takes exactly 5 minutes to town. I get the train every single day from Crossmyloof and I work round the corner from Caley Uni. You're pretty close to Shed and a Di Maggio's! Don't worry about Eastern Europeans, they're more in Govanhill and don't venture out of the area much.

Pollokshaws East :) Not far from those though, by the looks of it!

Soldato
OP
Not been near Shawlands in a few years now but it's a great night out and plenty of places to eat etc in the general area. Good choice at the available notice

Yeah I'm really happy with the area, and the flat itself is lovely so it's a win-win. I've submitted my info to the letting agent for references today, so hopefully that gets done on the hurry-up and I can get the last few bits arranged for moving my stuff.

Until then, lots of packing to do...

Back
Top Bottom