I'm moving to Glasgow next month - any OcUKers from there?

Soldato
As title, any members from Glasgow or know the area well? I'm escaping Aberdeen and starting a new job there next month (should be 22nd August but might come forward a week) so I'm looking for a flat, can anyone recommend areas to look at, and areas to avoid? I'll be working in the vicinity of Glasgow Caledonian University but have been looking at flats a little further out of the city centre. I can drive so travelling in to work shouldn't be an issue, but I'm wondering if I'll regret being a few miles out of town when it comes to wanting to go out etc.

So far I keep coming back to a flat in Springboig, I'm told the area "is okay, but not the best". Anyone able to suggest some other places to look at?

Cheers. :)

Soldato
I think the previous respondents gave a good steer. Whilst its 20 odd years since I lived there I can't see that much as changed (only for the better). Great Western Road and streets off of that like Byers Road are great locations. Some of that area is also quite pricey but there are a lot of students living there as they go to University of Glasgow. That's where I'd be looking to be if I was moving there. As far out as Anniesland Cross is probably ok too.

Soldato
Maybe look further out again flat prices are reasonable out towards stepps muirhead chryston moodiesburn. They are all 10 to 15 minute drive away. Also 15 minutes to Buchanan bus station.

Associate
West end or south side. Avoid anything that ends in hill (except Jordanhill which is good but family orientated so probably not what you're looking for anyway) and avoid Possil.
Also ibrox has some dodgy bits

Soldato
Dennistoun would do you well. Anywhere in between Duke Street and Alexandra Parade. It's a good area, lots of young professionals and students and some good bars and restaurants. It looks a bit rough round the edges but it's nice. It's walkable to town, and Glasgow Green which is a nice big park (with some good pubs as well). Plus, free plentiful parking and you're right on a major train line which will take you into Glasgow or out to Edinburgh.
What are you looking for in an area?
I wouldn't have thought you'd have to look outwith Glasgow if you're looking for a flat.

Soldato
OP
Thanks all, I'll spend some time tonight looking at what I can get in those areas. It's annoying, because I keep gravitating towards the flat I mentioned at the start but I'm just not sold on the area.

Move to Edinburgh instead.... :p /joke

Maybe next time! I did actually apply for a job in Edinburgh last year, didn't get it though.

Dennistoun would do you well. Anywhere in between Duke Street and Alexandra Parade. It's a good area, lots of young professionals and students and some good bars and restaurants. It looks a bit rough round the edges but it's nice. It's walkable to town, and Glasgow Green which is a nice big park (with some good pubs as well). Plus, free plentiful parking and you're right on a major train line which will take you into Glasgow or out to Edinburgh.
What are you looking for in an area?
I wouldn't have thought you'd have to look outwith Glasgow if you're looking for a flat.

Thanks, I'll give those areas a look. Not really sure what I want to be honest, I don't necessarily need or want to be right on the doorstep of everything (especially as I'll be working shifts so somewhere quieter might be beneficial), and I have a car so but then everyone I talk to says it's easier and cheaper to just use public transport to get around anyway. That'll take a bit of getting used to, I'm used to driving everywhere! On the other hand, it sort of seems a shame to move to a vibrant, busy city then position myself miles out of town. Hopefully I can find a decent compromise between the two.

Associate
Are you a city kind of person? Glasgow has plenty of green space, but its still a fairly densely populated city. If your not a city person, have you looked at areas like Milngavie which have a more town like feel to them?

The other thing my colleagues in Glasgow advised me when I considered working through there was that commuting in Glasgow is awful. Far worse than Aberdeen (I've experience of both). I see you're doing shifts so perhaps that won't matter, but I'd say if you're starting around 9 you probably want to be fairly close to work.

Soldato
Dennistoun would do you well. Anywhere in between Duke Street and Alexandra Parade.

Don't do this if you have a car, don't wanna fight you for spaces when I am at work lol

If you can afford the west end go for it, failing that Shawlands would be a close second these days. Queens park can be nice but stay far away from the Govanhill side of it. But my vote would be Shawlands.

Back
Top Bottom