I'm on 717,000 points. Anyone want a race to 1,000,000?

Associate
Between theheyes on 618,000 (and going strong) and Emily on 856,000 there is a lot of active crunchers. I'm going to be putting on my folding boots and upping my ppd so who wants some?

Race me to the big 1 million

Associate
OP
Thanks for the work you've done shadowscotland... looking good. I currently have the lowest PPD of all the racers so I better get my arse in gear. theheyes did you mean to type 8800GS? A 8400 will only get you around 500ppd. Funnily enough I am going to start folding with an 8400GS soon but only because I have one sat spare at work. I'm going to need more than that tho..

Associate
OP
Yeh I did notice that.. normally I have a tick over of standard client WUs that mean I get at least some points everyday.. not got that at the moment.

Looks like Yeggstry is ramping well, but I'm still most concerned about Booyaka. He's got 125,000 points more than me which is a hell of a head start.

Associate
OP
"touches a large chunk of wood"
Away for 3 days this weekend so hopefully things will run themselves

Oh I dooo hope your folding client doesn't hang while you're away ;)

shadowscotland said:
it's 50h of zero and counting now!

Ok so my 50+ hours of zero points wasn't exactly planned but I'm hoping good things come to those who wait.

By all means start a new post on Monday. This has been a good thread and I like the fact it's covered chat about the GPU client and the old standard client but there's no harm in a new one focused on the race. Keep us updated!

Associate
OP
Can't you offer to pay a share of the bill? It won't be much and it will show your folks you really care about the PC being left on.

As an example I used to pay for the full amount for monthly dialup when I lived with my parents (even though they used it too) just so I could get the ISP I wanted and have a unlimited connection rather than pay-per-call.

Associate
OP
Not by much though on current average - 24 days vs 27 days for you on EOC. Of course, that only has verbal's PPD at 9,242. Its more likely to be at about about 14k once it settles.

My ppd isn't going to settle ;)

The only reason it's consistent at the moment is because I've been delayed doing what I planned to do. Having said that my ppd is probably going to drop to around 1200ppd in two weeks, so I think the race will be interesting.

Associate
OP
Bah! don't settle for second booyaka, I might have to shut off all the borgs for practicality reasons at some point before the million which would put me back on 1000-2000 ppd. Let's see how it pans out.

Today I passed 100,000 points since I posted this thread and then took some photos of my rigs to celebrate.

This is 'Shelfie', she only cost me 58 quid plus postage (for the 8800GS) to set up as I had the other parts already: *Click thumbnail for large version*

Athlon 64 3200 @ 2000mhz + 1.1volts
2gb corsair value select DDR
Asus 8800GS TOP

=======================================================

This next pic is my home PC in it's tusty Cheiftec Dragon case that i attacked with a dremel a few years ago to rid it of HDD caddies and air-flow restrictions. The hard drive is in the Scythe 'Quiet Drive' enclosure at the top of the case. *Click thumbnail for large version*

E6550 @ 3290mhz + 1.385volts
2gb Crucial Ballistix 8500
Sparkle 7200GS :D

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the updates shadowscotland. It's really good being able to see back all the way to the start of the race. Perhaps for the graph you could have 400,000 for the lowest value at the bottom.

Associate
OP
Done some good work today re-organising borgs and setting up new ones, so i'll call this phase 2.

phase2.png

The effects of this should hit the stats from 9pm or 12pm tomorrow onwards :)

Keep the stats coming shadowscotland... Fold on brothers!

Associate
OP
Good stuff, last night I passed 900,000 points, I stomped booyaka and put my 24hr average ppd over 20k. Not bad considering I was asleep!

Its looking like I will be able to carry on long enough to secure 1st place. I'm having to make some changes this week but my ppd *should* go up and not down overall before taking a nose dive next week.

The race for third is looking pretty tasty!

Associate
OP
Normally I'm happy with about 8000 points a week. I'm doing 4 times that in a day at the moment! It's been a lot of work but it was fun to track my progress and see the points racking up :)

I would like to thank my place of work for their electricity and air-conditioning without which this madness would not have been possible. I would also like to thank my team mates for their excellent contributions to this race!

EDIT: Also a big thanks for shadowscotland for the stats!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'm the IT Manager and I'm installing a lot of new PCs. I'm solely responsible for the IT equipment and I just tell the facilities people that I want to leave some of the new PCs on and the air-conditioning on and they say "no problem".

The NotFred folding CD made it 10x easier this year. Last summer I installed xubuntu on every PC I wanted to fold with. Here's how I organised the roll out of PCs..

Phase 1:

Phase1.jpg

Phase 2:

phase2.png

Phase 3: (current phase, nice and simple and good for around 35,000 ppd)

phase3.jpg

You can see the phases on the production graph:

production.jpg

Phase 3 is the final phase and will be over soon. :( Can't complain though.. I got 300,000 points in 12 days :)
I should be able to keep the GPU ticking over for about another week. :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom