I'm recruiting for software engineering trainees again

Permabanned
A response and feedback should be automatically given, it's pretty impolite after a candidate spends a chunk of their own time for him to be asking for feedback on a public forum.

Man of Honour
OP
A response and feedback should be automatically given, it's pretty impolite after a candidate spends a chunk of their own time for him to be asking for feedback on a public forum.

I don't think you realise how many applications we get - it takes days to just paper sift, let alone give feedback. All candidates that get offered an interview get detailed feedback.

Permabanned
I don't think you realise how many applications we get - it takes days to just paper sift, let alone give feedback. All candidates that get offered an interview get detailed feedback.

Boo hoo, perhaps you need to hire some additional hands on the recruitment side then.

Still polite to ping someone a quick mail informing them they have been unsuccessful.

From what I have read, you're asking applicants to spend a pretty large chunk of their time going through the process. Pretty trashy not to spend 5 seconds sending an email template to inform they were unsuccessful.

Last edited:
Caporegime

I don't think you can reasonably expect feedback to be given to everyone culled before they've even reached the interview stage. A generic acknowledgement/"thank you but no thank you" I agree would perhaps be polite or maybe inviting the near misses to try again etc.. but the poster is asking for actual feedback which Burnsey has kindly said he'll give. That isn't normally something you'd expect for all, say, 100+ applicants!

Perhaps if you go for a job via a recruiter they'll want to know why one or more of their (often small sample of) candidates didn't get an interview, and they'll be told - too senior, too junior, lacking X etc.. but for a mass open application, it's just not practical.

Man of Honour
Yeah we deal with sometimes well into the 100s or more applications for a role though we do try to give each a response but it isn't always possible and/or can take time.

I've mostly had a response and something along the lines of "we just had so many candidates blah blah" the only times I've had proper feedback is when applying through a recruiter who took the time to manage each person on their books and once when I got friendly with the HR girl on the way out and she later gave me some feedback (going for a junior role and [accidentally] making the IT manager look incompetent in front of HR and his bosses ultimately doesn't do you any favours - there was some pointed questions as to what role I actually thought I was applying for LOL).

Permabanned
I suggest you read again Dowie.

The poster said "Should i assume if i haven’t heard back I haven’t been successful?"

Agree on the feedback part but at the very leasst a response should be given imo

Soldato
I suggest you read again Dowie.

The poster said "Should i assume if i haven’t heard back I haven’t been successful?"

Agree on the feedback part but at the very leasst a response should be given imo

indeed and i really appreciate the offer of feedback. I have just checked my application status on Ordnance Surveys website and it still says “in process”, at the very least i think thar should be updates to unsuccessful or something.

Man of Honour
OP
indeed and i really appreciate the offer of feedback. I have just checked my application status on Ordnance Surveys website and it still says “in process”, at the very least i think thar should be updates to unsuccessful or something.

That's probably due to the HR person who will update this being on holiday as it's mid-august. I imagine that'll be rectified soon when she's back.

Back
Top Bottom