iMac updates soon?

Associate
Nothing's been announced/rumoured as far as I'm aware, so it could be any time. I'd have thought there'd be some kind of a speed bump sooner than the end of the year, to introduce i5/i7s lower in the range, but it's anyone's guess.

Soldato
Strange think is I was thinking this today

As i bough a 64gb 3g Ipad today for using it for the internet etc and it lovely... My 4 years old macbook pro is showing it age and slow for my photography so I want a iMac to cover that area and hoping to get a low end with a i5 Wonder how long it be for one to be announce....

Associate
Mac rumours buyers guide suggests it is due by now......

I was all for getting a MBP, but may hold off to see if theres any mention of an imac speed bump, or even a blu ray drive :O!?

Last edited:
Associate
It will no doubt happen by September, but it will probably be a minor bump in spec.

The 27" revision will probably only see the following:

CPU - Possible speed bump, but it's going to be minor.
GPU - Move to ATI 5850 series mobility, so on par with exsiting 4850.

We might see the addition of Blu ray, but I am still not sure Job's really want's to pay royalties, and possibly lose iTunes sales.

Is that worth waiting 1-4 months?

Caporegime
anyone know any more about the rumours of a touch screen imac this year...

was going to buy a mac mini this week but macrumours seems to advise against it, when looking at the buyer's guide I saw a mention of a touch screen imac - would be quite tempted to get one if its out by end of summer....

Associate
Hmm would it be wise to purchase a 27" iMac i7 now? Seeing as there was no mention at WWDC yesterday?

I really want one, but I don't want to get one and they release a better model a short while after.

+1

Would the move to the 5850 really be so minor? That's kinda what I'm waiting for.. the 4850 is 18 months old :/

Associate
+1

Would the move to the 5850 really be so minor? That's kinda what I'm waiting for.. the 4850 is 18 months old :/

The current iMac 4850 GPU is just a underclocked desktop 4850 with about the same performance as desktop 4830.

AMD's Mobile 5850 (Juniper) is a underclocked desktop 5770 but it's slower than desktop 5750.

Take a look at the gaming comparisons using the 5870/50 and 4850 mobility cards.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html

Apple would really need to include the 5870 mobility for a decent performance update, but those card's are not cheap and Apple loves it's margins.

Associate
Hmm would it be wise to purchase a 27" iMac i7 now? Seeing as there was no mention at WWDC yesterday?

I really want one, but I don't want to get one and they release a better model a short while after.

you could allways just sell it on ebay after an announcement for a slight loss someone will be dumb enough to buy.

Associate
What is the performance difference between the 3.06ghz Core 2 Duo versus say, a 2.4ghz i5? Does anyone know any good comparisons/tests/reviews of the two processors? I'm sick of waiting for the iMacs to update, could be months!

Soldato
What is the performance difference between the 3.06ghz Core 2 Duo versus say, a 2.4ghz i5? Does anyone know any good comparisons/tests/reviews of the two processors? I'm sick of waiting for the iMacs to update, could be months!

Have a look at some of the Macbook Pro 2010 reviews as some have the 2.8 and 3Ghz C2D's against the i5's. Anandtech had a good one as I recall.

Back
Top Bottom