Images of items I have purchased (except trainers)

Associate
Why would you need a WiFi-enabled socket adapter? What possible features do you need from a socket adapter other than being an adapter? Does the plug change from EU to US, etc. via WiFi?

So I can operate the outside lights via remote on my phone (or voice control through Siri). Yes, I could just flick the switch manually but this way is cool :)

Soldato
Why would you need a WiFi-enabled socket adapter? What possible features do you need from a socket adapter other than being an adapter? Does the plug change from EU to US, etc. via WiFi?
You're living in the past, my man. Now burn some calories whilst you get up to switch your lamp on :p

Transmission breaker
Don
I have the same plugs, and I use one to monitor the power usage of the heater in my shed (its powered through a thermostatic plug adaptor) that keeps it above a set temp :) I can also kill it remotely if I ever need to.

Soldato

Can you really not think of a few things a smart plug would be handy for?

Soldato

I have a few, mainly it's for the automation purposes rather than remote switching. Through Google Home i can have certain devices on between certain times (we have some wax melt things where this is great for).

The old manual timer plugs were huge.

What i'd actually quite like to see would be Wifi plugs like that, but where you replace the existing plug with the new wifi enabled device. Would cut down on bulk considerably, especially as i imagine a lot of these devices are for items where the plug is shoved behind cabinets etc. Certainly cheaper than replacing all the sockets with Wifi sockets which i've found less reliable than the plugs.

Caporegime

Mines turns my coffee machine on (it should be on for 30mins before use) so it's on a timer for the morning and if I'm driving home from somewhere I can tell my phone to turn it on for me. I also use it on a timer for the max welt things.

Theres a lot of possibilites.

Soldato

I have one (Not the same one) for my traditional bedside table lamb, I have a Google clock next to it and when I can't be bothered to switch it on or off (side button) I say - 'OK Google...Turn off bedside table lamp' without moving my fat arse around the bed.

Soldato
Mines turns my coffee machine on (it should be on for 30mins before use) so it's on a timer for the morning and if I'm driving home from somewhere I can tell my phone to turn it on for me. I also use it on a timer for the max welt things.

Theres a lot of possibilites.
Does this mean the power switch is always switched to 'on' on the machine, so you have to switch the machine off using the WiFi plug when you're done using it?

Caporegime
Does this mean the power switch is always switched to 'on' on the machine, so you have to switch the machine off using the WiFi plug when you're done using it?

Yes, but they have a standby switch on the side to turn them off too (i.e doesn't need to be turned on and off by a app etc). So there's no inconvenience at all, apart from the switch is 'always on' which might bother some. I've no idea how much power they consume to have the wifi constantly on though.

Soldato
Yes, but they have a standby switch on the side to turn them off too (i.e doesn't need to be turned on and off by a app etc). So there's no inconvenience at all, apart from the switch is 'always on' which might bother some. I've no idea how much power they consume to have the wifi constantly on though.
Ah interesting - can the app override the standby switch too, or is that manual intervention only?

Associate
IMG-3758.jpg

A new fridge/freezer. I've always wanted an American fridge/freezer and the one still fitted into the house we've recently bought is comically small. I drink a lot of water and can't stand tap water around here so it's nice to have a constant supply of chilled and filtered water. That is of course not the only reason we bought it! Very happy so far although there was a radiator behind where it is now and removing it was a new experience for me. Plus had to drill into the kitchen cupboard to be able to feed the water line.

We are just about to pull the trigger on this model. Did you have any issues getting it in the house? I have read quite a lot about how large it is and some people not being able to get them in through front doors, how did you get on? Thanks in advance :)

Soldato
Ah interesting - can the app override the standby switch too, or is that manual intervention only?
Not the OP but I've found this to be a fortunate coincidence. Ideally you leave the power switch "on" and then 'hope' the device comes out of standby when it gets power.

My Delonghi ESAM doesn't do that, so it gives no benefit to use a WiFi plug as it doesn't come out of standby automatically.

My IKEA kitchen lights however, remember the last state - so come powered on at the right dimness :cool:

Man of Honour
We are just about to pull the trigger on this model. Did you have any issues getting it in the house? I have read quite a lot about how large it is and some people not being able to get them in through front doors, how did you get on? Thanks in advance :)

I bought it from John Lewis and they used a company to deliver it and unpack etc. No issues but then again it's a straight line from the front door to the kitchen. The box it comes in is massive as you'd expect. Once it's out of the box it is on wheels so that may be an option for you.

PS if you do get it from JL don't forget to use Top Cashback.

Associate
I bought it from John Lewis and they used a company to deliver it and unpack etc. No issues but then again it's a straight line from the front door to the kitchen. The box it comes in is massive as you'd expect. Once it's out of the box it is on wheels so that may be an option for you.

PS if you do get it from JL don't forget to use Top Cashback.
Thanks for the quick reply! yeah we would go through JL as they generally have the best after market support for large items like that. Cheers for the Top Cashback heads up! btw, do you have a smart meter and have you noticed much difference in power usage compared to the last one?

Soldato
IMG-3758.jpg

A new fridge/freezer. I've always wanted an American fridge/freezer and the one still fitted into the house we've recently bought is comically small. I drink a lot of water and can't stand tap water around here so it's nice to have a constant supply of chilled and filtered water. That is of course not the only reason we bought it! Very happy so far although there was a radiator behind where it is now and removing it was a new experience for me. Plus had to drill into the kitchen cupboard to be able to feed the water line.
Looks good, weve looked at a few and this one felt higher quality. I've got no interest in the see through door but wanted good handing/hinging etc.

For the water feed, does it have a reservoir of water in it so it keeps it cool (reason being is I think my cold pipe is near a rad pipe or hot pipe so comes in lukewarm unless I run it for a while)

Could you buy an extra length warranty with JL?

Do you mean you have a seperate fridge still in the house also?

Back
Top Bottom