Images of items I have purchased.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
You can also adjust image stabiliser settings and focal distance lock zones etc for compatible lenses (for now, the 120-300mm 2.8, or "Sport" lenses.) but as they're updating their older lenses with this new system and facelift you can expect to see the dock become quite popular, especially at under £45.

No other lens maker offers this kind of thing either so Sigma have set themselves up quite nicely here.

Caporegime
Well got my new Asus router sat at home for my new fibre broadband connection, which is being fitted on the 13th of this month.

Was expecting my new Dell Alienware laptop to be delivered to day by UPS but hasnt turned up yet and theres less than 5mins remaining:p. Been tracking it since Sat when it was in China, then made its way to Dubai then to Germany and this morning arrived in the UK.
So will probably get it tommorrow :(, was looking forward to playing with it tonight and getting it all set up...curse you UPS.

Ill be posting pics soon as i get a chance.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
That's how they get you !!! You are now hooked on it and want every lens you buy to have the ability to dock with it :p

For me, long as the glass is nice, I don't give two hoots about firmware and stuff. :)

The "stuff" will actually become useful though, this is only the beginning. I'd rather the customisation to my body and lens range at a lower price premium without sacrificing optical performance and none of the features and at double the cost in some cases!

It's a preference thing though as always.

Caporegime
You would if it became incompatible with your latest Canon/Nikon body purchase :p

All canon EF lenses are guaranteed to work with EOS bodies.

Sigma can't claim that, that's what the dock is for. £40 dock and saves them a lot of man hours to update lenses people sent in to make their old lens work with new canon bodies.

I do agree it is useful but once it's set up and the lens works. That'll be that. I don't see it as a game changer, a century of photography went by without it and another century will too.

Of course, if your lens can utilise it then for the money is silly not to buy, if anything, it will make sure it works with your new body.

Soldato

Sigma can't claim that, that's what the dock is for. £40 dock and saves them a lot of man hours to update lenses people sent in to make their old lens work with new canon bodies.

I know Sigma can't claim that, that's why I said it :p

So the Sigma glass might be nice, but it also might be useless!

/pats Sigma 30 f/1.4

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour

I do agree it is useful but once it's set up and the lens works. That'll be that. I don't see it as a game changer, a century of photography went by without it and another century will too.

Of course, if your lens can utilise it then for the money is silly not to buy, if anything, it will make sure it works with your new body.

Did you read up on the dock? The hints were there in the video you posted as well.

The dock allows you to do way more than just update firmware.

- Focus speed.
- Focus range.
- Focus mode.
- Image stabiliser modes.
- Distance based micro-adjust (including zoom ranges for non primes).

Of course these all depend on the type of lens being used (Art, Contemporary or Sport). All features won't be available on Art, for example which is a shame.

But, and this is a big if, since the dock uses a standard connection and a standard driver model, just like Lacie's BlueEyePro colorimeter working with 3rd party software to get alternative features I do wonder if community based software will come out to enable more tweaks down the line. Bit like Magic Lantern with Canon cameras currently.

Caporegime
How much did you pay for those? ^^

2sbo3cy.gif

Caporegime
Did you read up on the dock? The hints were there in the video you posted as well.

The dock allows you to do way more than just update firmware.

- Focus speed.
- Focus range.
- Focus mode.
- Image stabiliser modes.
- Distance based micro-adjust (including zoom ranges for non primes).

Of course these all depend on the type of lens being used (Art, Contemporary or Sport). All features won't be available on Art, for example which is a shame.

But, and this is a big if, since the dock uses a standard connection and a standard driver model, just like Lacie's BlueEyePro colorimeter working with 3rd party software to get alternative features I do wonder if community based software will come out to enable more tweaks down the line. Bit like Magic Lantern with Canon cameras currently.

Hacking my L glass?

Erm....I'm on the fence on that one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom