Imaging question

Associate
I have a question that I knew the answer to when I had a PC with an old skool BIOS, because I did it and it worked fine. But I think I tried it once or twice when I got a UEFI PC and it failed.

Anyway, what I did back then was have Windows XP and Windows 7 installed, dual booting off two physical hard disks. Both operating systems were installed with just their own disk installed, neither was aware of the other. I didn't want the Windows bootloader, I wanted to use the BIOS to select which OS to boot and that's what I did. I had and still have a 3 PC licence for Acronis True Image, a copy of which was installed in each OS. Back then, I booted into one OS and took an image of the other or 'pasted' the other back onto its partition. Worked great, could restore either OS within 10-15 minutes. This seemed better and quicker as you were taking an image of a system while its files weren't active. And that was when I had any game installed to the same drive as the OS that hosted it, so more drive space used and larger image files.

Fast forward to now and the set up is as follows:

250GB SSD - Windows 7
120GB SSD - Windows 10
500GB SSD - Steam/Origin game files
500GB SSD - Steam/Origin game files

So the OS drives aren't very full at all as all the big game files reside on both 500GB SSDs, and each Steam/Origin game client in W7 and W10 points to the directories on both of the 500GB SSDs, taking a snapshot would mean a smaller image, which is good.

The question is whether there is anything in particular I need to be doing when doing what I used to do (which worked) with a PC with a UEFI BIOS. Because like I say, I did try it once or twice but it failed. It said the image restore had been successful, but I got a boot error. Annoyingly, I can't remember what that was as it was a while back. I have True Image installed in both W7 and W10.

There must be somebody on here who is already doing what I'm wanting to do, so any input is well appreciated.

Associate
I don't know if it's any help, but you could try AOMEI Backupper Professional Edition 4 - I never found Acronis very reliable in cloning drives, but AOMEI has been very reliable in my experience and so simple to use.

The main advantage is it will clone a drive fully whilst in use - give it a try - you can try the 'personal' free edition here:
https://www.backup-utility.com/personal.html

Associate
OP
Do you have "Secure Boot" enabled?

So it turns out I do TWiNKLeT0Es. It's greyed out, but you also have another dropdown menu with 'Windows UEFI' and 'Other OS' as the options. Is it the case that I need to change to 'Other OS' and disable secure boot then?

Because this would make sense, I initially thought Windows UEFI was the correct setting.

Do appreciate your assistance.

@SimBoy

Thank you for your suggestion, I have used that software before and may try again if I don't have any luck here. But I have a feeling the secure boot thing may well sort it, TWiNKLeT0Es is on the right track. I too had a feeling that it might not be the software that is the issue.

All input most welcome!

Associate
OP
Well I haven't yet found the issue, my question is at this point more if I change the 'Windows UEFI' setting to 'Other OS', will both my installations of Windows boot afterwards? I'd then try some imaging.

I probably wasn't clear, wouldn't be the first time :)

As ever, all input appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom