Impact of Part time working

Associate
Anyone working part time, do you feel you get overlooked or miss out on opportunities compared to your full time colleagues?
I work a 4 day week, work from home a lot for child care reasons, and take a 20%pay cut. Since going part time I think my output has maintained nearly as it was when working for 5 days, and I have been extremely successful/productive in the past 12 months. However, I have a sense that I'm being overlooked and undervalued.
Has anyone else found similar when they are not as present in the office compared to colleagues?

Man of Honour
I used to be part of a leadership team that would discuss and calibrate performance appraisals within our division. There was a person who worked 3.5 days a week and one of my peers on the leadership team did seem to 'look down' on the fact they were part time. Ultimately it was agreed that if anything part time workers should get more credit because often their achievement level is being compared with fulltime workers, but if it had been up to my peer without any group discussion, then yes they may have been overlooked.

Man of Honour
Going to depend hugely industry to industry - retail is going to be very different to an office environment for this, etc. interestingly I find a lot of people lately want to move to 4 day weeks either due to coming up on retirement and either not wanting to retire or can't afford it, caring/support reasons especially with the reduction in the funding of services, etc. and so on.

I don't think 4 days would be too bad in this respect unless you are quite a retiring kind of person who'd struggle to get recognition doing 5+ let alone 4 day weeks but below 4 days you would be a lot less visible.

Soldato
Problem with not being in the office is if there are no productivity metrics. If there is no culture of metrics then it becomes office politics with popularity, a PR battle. You can't play that game unless you are in the office, in peoples face as much a possible.

Our office has basically returned to doing most communicating offline in person in meetings. The vast majority of my communication only happens on the days I'm in the office as a result.

Back
Top Bottom