• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

~~~~~IMPORTANT SANDYBRIDGE OC INFO: Voltages & OC Guide!!~~~~~

Soldato
Your 5ghz could be reduce in lifespan of your cpu processor chip. OCUK had advise everyones to use 4.6Ghz no more than that.

Yes.
seldom use a computer more than 2 years anyhow.
did run a i7 920 at 1.45vcore for 2 years without any issues.
Lifespan for new tech is like a year with the current cpu business.

Permabanned
Your 5ghz could be reduce in lifespan of your cpu processor chip. OCUK had advise everyones to use 4.6Ghz no more than that.

Is this true though? I mean my understanding was always that the voltage and temperatures were the important bits, whatever clock speed you manage on that voltage is irrelevant. Therefore as he's at a sensible voltage, there should be no difference in lifespan between 4.6 or 5GHz if it is stable.

Soldato
Is this true though? I mean my understanding was always that the voltage and temperatures were the important bits, whatever clock speed you manage on that voltage is irrelevant. Therefore as he's at a sensible voltage, there should be no difference in lifespan between 4.6 or 5GHz if it is stable.

that is my impression also.
still need to read up on the sandy oc tweaks heh

Associate
At the moment I'm just playing and enjoying the thrill of getting some good overclock results. Once I'm done, the CPU will probably be under volted and run at something like 4.2GHz, although i am amazed at the stability of Sandy Bridge, once you get the bios settings right.

4.8GHz was easy. It took me hours to get to 4.9 and once i had done that the tweaks have taken me right up to 5.1 (although i must stress that above 4.9 is not stable YET!)

Soldato
Sadly my 4.5ghz at 1.3v LLC 100% crashed after about 4 or 5 hours last night. I've bumped the vcore straight to 1.35 and will continue to test further.

Whatever i manage to get i may well dial it back to 4.5ghz anyway as that was always my target.

4.8GHz was easy. It took me hours to get to 4.9 and once i had done that the tweaks have taken me right up to 5.1 (although i must stress that above 4.9 is not stable YET!)

Can you share any other settings you have changed from auto/default? I've literally only been adjusting the vcore and the multi so far.

Last edited:
Associate
damn 4/5 hours in? that's the most annoying kind of prime :( ah well it's definitely getting there though.

Is there a way to keep the non turbo voltage? It's a shame that the multiplier drops to 16x? in non turbo mode but it keeps the same manual vcore you set.

Associate
Can you share any other settings you have changed from auto/default? I've literally only been adjusting the vcore and the multi so far.

Asus P8P67 Pro Bios 1053
5GHz Boot settings. 5.1GHz SuperPi by setting 5.1 in windows
The only other changes from standard are my DRAM Timing settings and some Fan Control (CPU onto Turbo and Chassis not controlled as I have my H50 Pump on it)

Things to notice:
'INTERNAL PLL Overvoltage' to ENABLED (Default is AUTO)
'Load Line Calibration' to Extreme
'Phase Control' to Extreme
'Duty Control' to Extreme
Voltages as you can see.

I would like to thank the person that posted the Asus over clocking video yesterday, this gave me both clues and confidence to change these settings.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vBN-cBPs98

P8P67BiosFor5Ghz-top.jpg

P8P67BiosFor5Ghz-voltages.jpg

Sandy2600KCpuShot.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for that simon. I've yet to put the beta bios on so don't yet have the PLL option.

Currently if i try and get 4.6 using the asus tols windows freezes and if i do it in the bios the windows loading screen freezes. Going to try a few of your settings and see what occurs.

My full settings at this time are

LLC = 100%
VRM Freq = Auto
VRM Spread = Enable
Phase Control = Standard
Duty Control = T Pulse
CPU Current = 100%
vCore = 1.35
dram = 1.6
VCCSA = Auto
VCCIO = Auto
CPUPLL = 1.8
PCH = Auto
CPU Spread Spec = Disabled.

EDIT: As suspected even after making changes similar to you simon i still get the same issue at 4.6. I wonder how much that new bios and its PLL option are contributing.

Last edited:
Soldato

Some of the guys there putting 1.6 through the chip :S.

Just tried Simons settings in my 1003 BIOS with a 1.4vcore and still couldnt get 4.6 to work.

Going to experiment with my ram voltage and see how low i can run 4.5 and i'll probably try the beta bios tomorrow or later today.

EDIT: My Mushkin blackline seems happy at 1.4 which is nice. Not tried going any lower.

Last edited:
Associate
Hopefully its ok to ask this here. Does anyone know what the TJ Max is for Sandybridge? Coretemp and Realtemp report it as 98c. I did ask on Intel Support's Livechat last night but the agent didn't have that info. He passed it on to the local support group who will supposedly email me back. Haven't heard anything as yet.

Soldato
I thought 72c was the Tcase temperature? Might be wrong though.

Yes, it's the tcase temp, and also max recommended running temp. From Intels datasheet 1:-

PROCHOT# 98ºc
Processor Hot: PROCHOT# goes active when the processor
temperature monitoring sensor(s) detects that the processor has
reached its maximum safe operating temperature. This indicates that
the processor Thermal Control Circuit (TCC) has been activated, if
enabled.

THERMTRIP#
Thermal Trip: The processor protects itself from catastrophic
overheating by use of an internal thermal sensor. This sensor is set
well above the normal operating temperature to ensure that there are
no false trips. The processor will stop all execution when the junction
temperature exceeds approximately 130 °C. This is signaled to the
system by the THERMTRIP# pin.

Soldato
My 2500k is stubbonly not floating past 4.9 ghz. Even tried the vcore at 1.42 and also upping the bclk but its no use.

NM, 4.8 beats my old 3.0 by a little and throttles to boot. sweet.

Soldato
My 2500k is stubbonly not floating past 4.9 ghz. Even tried the vcore at 1.42 and also upping the bclk but its no use.

NM, 4.8 beats my old 3.0 by a little and throttles to boot. sweet.

Yeah, I noticed that it needs a significant voltage bump on the majority of chips to get past 4.8-4.9ghz.

Most i7 2600k's can reach 4.8 on 1.40, a select few can reach it on 1.35

Soldato
Yeah, I noticed that it needs a significant voltage bump on the majority of chips to get past 4.8-4.9ghz.

Most i7 2600k's can reach 4.8 on 1.40, a select few can reach it on 1.35

I am not on quite the same page as you guys, just got my Akasa Venom installed this afternoon and am stability testing Prime 95 Small FFT at 4ghz... so far max temp is 64C which is a lot better then the 79C I saw it reach with stock cooling (I was not brave enough to let it go higher but probably would have topped out about 81C). Vcore is 1.248

If this is Prime stable at 4ghz after 8 hours I will up it to 4.2... I think 4-4.2 is good enough for anyone.

Back
Top Bottom