Improving home WiFi for 4k HDR local streaming

Associate
OP
Read it again, I prefaced my comment with a statement to explain why I hadn’t gone with ‘run a cable’. If you have properly encoded content that spikes over 100Mbit that you haven't specifically generated for test purposes, then it’s usually because you are doing something wrong on the encode side, a remux will spike over 100Mbit, encoded media shouldn’t.
Fair enough. What do you use to encode? Handbrake?
How do you actually run yours then? Mesh?

Associate
100Mbps should be plenty for 4k streaming, the Ethernet socket on your TV is also going to be 100 megabits and not gigabit.

According to Netflix the following are recommended,

3.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for SD quality
5.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for HD quality
25 Megabits per second - Recommended for Ultra HD quality

I think your best option is going to be to invest in better powerline adapters, a mesh Wi-Fi network won't be cheap.

I think those numbers are a little too optimistic for local files. Assuming constant bitrate, all things being equal (which they're not but it's indicative).

A 10GB file streaming for 2 hours playtime is approx 11Mbps (1.3MB/sec)
A 50GB file streaming for 2 hours playtime is approx 56Mbps (7.1MB/Sec)

I have a Vero 4K+ and I see approx 100Mbps on large 4k hdr rips.

Wifi and Powerlines in my experience just doesn't cut it for 4k HDR unless the device can heavily buffer.

Edited for sillyness.

Associate
OP
As a test I've tried using a BT HomeHub 6 as an access point to try the 5ghz WiFi with the TV. It's all setup but while mobile devices are getting around 450mbps my TV is struggling to get 60mbps, both in the same place.

Any idea why that might be? TV settings or something?

Caporegime
As a test I've tried using a BT HomeHub 6 as an access point to try the 5ghz WiFi with the TV. It's all setup but while mobile devices are getting around 450mbps my TV is struggling to get 60mbps, both in the same place.

Any idea why that might be? TV settings or something?
Probably just a crap wi-fi card on the TV. It'll be cheap no doubt.

Associate
OP
Probably just a crap wi-fi card on the TV. It'll be cheap no doubt.

Oh! That's not brilliant, so basically I'm limited to the 100mb lan port then? Unless I get another device to play plex on then just go through hdmi to the TV? Shame as I would much rather use it direct in the TV.

Soldato
Oh! That's not brilliant, so basically I'm limited to the 100mb lan port then? Unless I get another device to play plex on then just go through hdmi to the TV? Shame as I would much rather use it direct in the TV.

Smart TV’s generally suck. The hardware is often generations behind and under specified at launch with minimal ongoing updates/support, as once you aren’t the current generation, you simply aren’t a priority. It’s usually better to buy a suitable client and be done with it, the advantage being that it’s easy to upgrade/replace and choose something appropriate to your needs.

Associate
If you want a decent client, keep an eye out for a potential NVIDIA Shield refresh. Not cheap but they are great devices. I use Ethernet (full 1gbps) and have zero problems. My LG OLED has a 100mbps Ethernet port and I had problems buffering with 4K HDR content. The wireless was faster but would also randomly buffer.

Associate
OP
I have a Sony Xf9005 49".

I think I will wait as I will be getting a PS5 at the end of next year (or whenever it is out) and that will be able to run 4k hdr. I'm just hoping it won't be long after release that it gets a plex app and supports the right codecs.

I do like being able to the TV Remote for plex though over a controller.

Associate
according to the specs of the TV it is Wi-Fi Certified 802.11a/b/g/n/ac, so as long as your access point is close enough to the TV you should be able to get better throughput then the wired Ethernet socket.

Associate
OP
according to the specs of the TV it is Wi-Fi Certified 802.11a/b/g/n/ac, so as long as your access point is close enough to the TV you should be able to get better throughput then the wired Ethernet socket.
That's what I thought but unfortunately not. The wireless is in the room below about 7 metres away. My phone can get 400+mbps but the TV struggles to play a 60mbps video through plex.

Associate
OP
Have you tried playing the video via a USB flash drive and see if that works?
I haven't with those videos but have with others which were lower bitrate and they played fine with the built in video player. I don't know how that will work with hdr. I will try with higher bitrate video though and see.

Associate
OP
The built in player on the TV should detect if the files contain HDR metadata and then output accordingly.
It would be good if you could use an ethernet to USB 3 adapter on the TV but I know that doesn't work. At least then I would be able to get great speeds for network media. Using a USB drive might be OK now and then but not as a long term solution. Thanks though.

Soldato
I have a Sony Xf9005 49".

I think I will wait as I will be getting a PS5 at the end of next year (or whenever it is out) and that will be able to run 4k hdr. I'm just hoping it won't be long after release that it gets a plex app and supports the right codecs.

I do like being able to the TV Remote for plex though over a controller.

Shield refreshes have been anticlimactic since launch. I was ready to buy one at the last refresh, only to read the details and it was essentially a cost cutting exercise rather than a step forward. PS3/4 Plex implementations have tended to be pretty disappointing in terms of Plex as well.

In terms of remote, are you aware of the existence of CEC?

Associate
OP
Shield refreshes have been anticlimactic since launch. I was ready to buy one at the last refresh, only to read the details and it was essentially a cost cutting exercise rather than a step forward. PS3/4 Plex implementations have tended to be pretty disappointing in terms of Plex as well.

In terms of remote, are you aware of the existence of CEC?
Yea I've never really like plex on console, but it worked.

I've heard about CEC but will be honest have never looked into it. Can you enlighten me?

Soldato
Yea I've never really like plex on console, but it worked.

I've heard about CEC but will be honest have never looked into it. Can you enlighten me?

CEC is part of the HDMI standard, most OEM’s have a stupid name for it, but essentially it passes remote functions from the TV to a HDMI connected device, so one remote to rule them all.

The other option is Flirc, for example my old Sky HD box obviously could control my TV and my Sky box, but when you pressed the TV button, I used the Flirc to map functions to buttons that the TV wouldn’t use, as it’s a keyboard emulator I could also add macros etc.

Associate
OP
CEC is part of the HDMI standard, most OEM’s have a stupid name for it, but essentially it passes remote functions from the TV to a HDMI connected device, so one remote to rule them all.

The other option is Flirc, for example my old Sky HD box obviously could control my TV and my Sky box, but when you pressed the TV button, I used the Flirc to map functions to buttons that the TV wouldn’t use, as it’s a keyboard emulator I could also add macros etc.
Ah, thank you, that's good to know! So I could use my Sony remote to control plex on my Ps4 (or PS5 when that comes around). Is there any setup of any kind?

Soldato
I’ve not tried CEC on a PS4, let alone a PS5, but it works well enough on other devices, biggest frustration is it doesn’t work with all HDMI cables from personal experience.

Back
Top Bottom