In an Effort to Stop Overheating!

Soldato
Hey Guys!

In an effort to stop my xbox overheating ive gone to the trouble to bodge things into the case to prevent the issue! Its more trial and error than anything else. The error may be 3 red lights but im willing for that to happen in an effort to get an hours game time without a crash! I have been urged from people to do this while playing forza online so i thought i'd give it a try!

Below are a fews pictures to show what i have done so far, gimme some insight in to what you think will happen :p

Ive installed a Fan directed at getting air to the GPU heatsink, i have also put some cardboard over the top of the CPU heatsink to force air through the heatsink in question rather than through the top of it. Ive done a centimeters worth of the GPU one also to. A smiley goes to the person who guesses the Cereal!

Hopefully everything wont go up in smoke!!! Just trialing at the moment though!

img2861version2lb9.jpg

img2865bs8.jpg

img2867un6.jpg

Josh

Last edited:
begbo said:
Did it work? Make a big difference? Should have replaced the other fans tried to make the thing quiet

I was going to get some Talismoon Whisper fans as a replacement for the rear ones but after Kreeeee saying there was a bad batch and the place i was going to buy them from looking extremely dodgy i didn't bother!

The reasons why the back fans are loud is because of the ducting, as soon as you removed the ducting there very quiet but within seconds the fans spin up as the heatsinks get very hot without it! The ducting resonates and echoes the sound of the fans making its loud.

I'll let you know if this works. Hasnt crashed yet!!!

Josh

Interesting cooling setup although does the fan have any inlet in the top of the case?!

I have done a little bit of a 'modding' myself with a splitter in the fan duct (splits the fans between GPU and CPU) and also a card duct on the gpu heatsink which forces the air through the heatsink rather than blowing about on top of it.

Both seem to help as hot air seems to be moving a bit more freely (and the hot air is actually being removed from the console).

I will be looking at a set of the talismoon fans at some point (the place I have seen seems pretty good for them) although the console is ok at the moment.

punky_munky said:
Sounds crazy to use cardboard to cool something down. I'm not into modding though so I don't know if that's safe or normal.

The cardboard is only acting as an air duct. (well it is in my case)

Seems to do the job quite nicely as well.

oweneades said:
Interesting cooling setup although does the fan have any inlet in the top of the case?!

I have done a little bit of a 'modding' myself with a splitter in the fan duct (splits the fans between GPU and CPU)

Thats a great idea, i must do this because basically both of the fans go to the CPU heatsink as air moves more freely to it!

Ill employ this later today!

I was going to put one all the way across the GPU heatsink but i thought it wouldn't make a big difference as the DVD-ROM drive it basically touching it anyway.

Jihad said:
New look, great taste.

WTF?

I just leave my 360 how it is, don't care if it breaks got warranty until next June on this particular one.

Some of us don't have warranty remember and i don't particularly want this to break as i'm not going to buy another one. Never buying anything microsoft again.

Josh

Last edited:
Improve airflow by removing the grills at the back of the console and use some thick cardboard to raise the console 1.5cm off the ground. After doing that the yop of my console feels very close to room temperaturew rather than having a hot spot on the top.

Kreeeee said:
Improve airflow by removing the grills at the back of the console and use some thick cardboard to raise the console 1.5cm off the ground. After doing that the yop of my console feels very close to room temperaturew rather than having a hot spot on the top.

I was trying to find a suitable tool to cut the back grill, this is in my to-do list. I didnt know what to use, Dremel (will have to buy), Lil hack saw or the cutting bit on pliers.

Its basically suspended on a box at the moment!

Josh

5bjoshua said:
I was trying to find a suitable tool to cut the back grill, this is in my to-do list. I didnt know what to use, Dremel (will have to buy), Lil hack saw or the cutting bit on pliers.

Its basically suspended on a box at the moment!

Josh
Wire cutters.

Kreeeee said:
Wire cutters.

I'll have to find some! Thanks!

When i was experimenting yesterday the fans do push so much more air without the grill!

Have you cut both grills or just the metal one?

Josh

Ripper said:

Would you if they let you down so many times?

You wouldnt buy a certain car again if it let you down or you wouldnt use a builder again if he did a bad job so why should i use microsoft again?

Josh

My 360 sits on the floor on two cushions and has a massive pillow on top.

Heat is the least of my worries, when the console sounds this loud..

5bjoshua said:
I'll have to find some! Thanks!

When i was experimenting yesterday the fans do push so much more air without the grill!

Have you cut both grills or just the metal one?

Josh
Both, it slightly reduces fan noise too :)

Back
Top Bottom