In lockdown, so building a new PC

Associate
Hi All,

It's been 6 years since I built my last PC, so I figured now was the time to update it.
To be honest, the main impetus was the release of Half Life: Alyx, which my current rig struggles with combined with being in lockdown. I also do quite a bit of video work, which was taking forever with my lowly 4790K and 980Ti setup.

I've spent the last couple of weeks researching where both Intel and AMD are at currently, and decided to build my first team red PC for about 22 years (last was a K6-2 system).

At the moment, I'm just waiting for various components to arrive, but the manifest looks like this:
Ryzen 3950X
ASUS X570 Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) - did consider the Aorus Master, but a) couldn't find any stock and b) wanted more USB.
4x8GB 8-Pack DDR4-3600
Gigabyte RTX 2080 OC Gaming
Fractal Define 7 XL case
Fractal S36 AIO (with Noctua NF-A12x25 fans) - I plan to repurpose the Fractal fans in other areas of the case.
Seasonic Prime TX-1000 PSU
Sabrent Rocket 1TB NVMe 4 SSD (with Sabrent heatsink)
Sabrent Rocket 2TB NVMe SSD
2 x 1TB Samsung 960 Evo SATA SSD (RAID 0)
Crucial 1TB BX500 SATA SSD
LG WH16NS60 Blu-Ray writer
Some sort of large capacity spinning rust drive (just waiting for a deal on a 12 or 14TB)

The main reason for going with the Define 7 XL was to be able to include an optical drive and a 360mm radiator.
I've always loved the Fractal cases, as I like the minimalist approach and don't care too much about RGB lighting.

Right now, I'm just trying to work out the best layout for the cooling. There seems to be a huge amount of discussion concerning push/pull, top mounted/front mounted, if your GPU is a blower style or open case fan design etc., etc.
I think the only way I'll know which is best is to try it out. Currently, I'm favouring front mounted radiator with fans in push, 2 x 140mm pull fans in the top, 1 x 140mm pull in the rear and 2 x 120mm push fans in the base. Postitive (or at least neutral) pressure is my current goal. Would appreciate people's thoughts on this, though.

Once all the components have arrived (come on OCUK, I'm looking at you :D), I'll post another update with some pics.

Andy.

Soldato
Sabrent Rocket 1TB NVMe 4 SSD (with Sabrent heatsink)
Sabrent Rocket 2TB NVMe SSD
2 x 1TB Samsung 960 Evo SATA SSD (RAID 0)
Crucial 1TB BX500 SATA SSD

Just get yourself a single 2 TB NVME drive and a 4 TB SSD. If memory serves, RAID 0 doesn't actually work very well with SSDs anyway.

Associate
Sounds like a pretty sick build. That 3950x is a beast. I will definitely go team red for my next PC too despite not buying from them since my single core Athlon 64 :D

Associate
OP
Just get yourself a single 2 TB NVME drive and a 4 TB SSD. If memory serves, RAID 0 doesn't actually work very well with SSDs anyway.
It was all about budget on the SSDs for now. I already had the 960 Evo's lying around, so figured I may as well use them.
I've found they work okay in RAID 0 on my previous build, as long as I'm using a hardware based RAID controller.

Associate
OP
The bits have finally arrived. Some delays due to the current situation, but I can now start building. :D

file

Soldato
How do you feel about the S36 purchase when the Celsius+ models were released yesterday?

I recently bought a Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4 but was thinking about an AIO, if I would have know about the + models coming out I would have waited and bought one of those instead of the DR Pro 4

Associate
OP
How do you feel about the S36 purchase when the Celsius+ models were released yesterday?

I recently bought a Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4 but was thinking about an AIO, if I would have know about the + models coming out I would have waited and bought one of those instead of the DR Pro 4
I had no idea the Celsius+ models were coming out, but I figured something was up as I managed to pick up the S36 for £79. At that price, I'm not too bothered that it's now EOL.
I'm pretty sure that when it's combined with the Noctua fans, it will perform around as well as the new versions. I don't care about RGB lighting, so the only significant benefit to the updated version is the Asetek pump design.

Soldato
I had no idea the Celsius+ models were coming out, but I figured something was up as I managed to pick up the S36 for £79. At that price, I'm not too bothered that it's now EOL.
I'm pretty sure that when it's combined with the Noctua fans, it will perform around as well as the new versions. I don't care about RGB lighting, so the only significant benefit to the updated version is the Asetek pump design.

Yeah for that money its not worth thinking about, enjoy the build

Back
Top Bottom