In the middle of "Migrating" - are Tiscali ok?

Associate
Hello,

Been with Freeserve/wanadoo/Orange now for about 3-4 years, and I rang Orange/wanadoo up today to get my MAC (migration code) - they said (after a while on the phone) it will be with me (via Email) in 48 hours (“generated” they said).

I was/am paying £27.99 for 2 megs, and unlimited usage (fair usage policy applies etc) - with Tiscali, however, you get all this (2 meg/unlimited/fair usage) for £14.99.

Are Wanadoo/orange very expensive?, or is it Tiscali cheap? - Or, perhaps, Tiscali don't offer as good a service IE: frequent cut-offs, slow speeds etc

PS: My Bro in law in on Tiscali, and said all is fine...

TIA

Ant :)

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Their FUP is around 2gb, and you're paying £18 for that. That's £9/gb ;).

Compared to say, Nildram. Which is £26 but has a 50gb cap during peak hours only would be around £0.52/gb.

Need I say more?

Associate
OP
OllyM said:
No, no, no, no, no, and if you didn't get that, NO!

Don't go with Tiscali, whatever you do.

What's your budget and what do you actually want?

About £15 a month, and I want about 30-40 gigs per month. Tiscali do unlimited and 2MB for £14.99 -so why "No no no no no on no no no"? :eek: Can you be more specific Re: "Don't go with Tiscali, whatever you do".

Ant

Soldato
No chance will you get 30-40GB for £15/month over BT IPStream.

Tiscali are about the worst ISP around, they come out bottom here, worse than Plusnet, which is a real achievement. People complain of slow speeds, awful (off-shore) customer service, the fact that you're locked in to a 12 month contract and all sorts. Look at the Tiscali forum on ADSLGuide and you'll soon see what I mean.

Associate
After reading very bad things about Tiscali, i thought what the hell and signed up with them anyway, basically because they are so cheap.
I can honestly say that their service has been first class. :)
I had a few line troubles to start with due to distance from the exchange, but they sorted it in no time.
Customer service reps phoned back when they said they would - always polite and always listened. When I phoned them, i got through straight away.
The broadband service has also been faultless, since they sorted out the line.
100% uptime and great speeds.

WELL DONE TISCALI!!!

Tiscali disprovers, leave them alone now would you, please.
They're not so bad, there not so bad at all, infact they're rather good. ;)

For info, i've used many other ISP's previously.

Last edited:
Caporegime
:D at the above, just you wait, stay away from Tiscali, ive just migrated away, they traffic shape heavily, you only get 10k a sec regardless off connection speed on p2p, only time you will get your proper speeds is from 1am till 8am in the morning and also you will get hit with FUP warnings for doing to much browsing during their peak hrs which are 6pm till 11pm (yes seriously thats just browsing), get 3x of those and you get put on the bad boy pipe where your connection is seriously cut. :)

STAY AWAY FROM TISCALI!!!!

I should know i was on them for 5 years, go read the Tiscali forums about the traffic shaping. :p

30-40gb a month will get you put on the bad boy pipe. :D

Last edited:
Associate
LoadsaMoney said:
:D at the above, just you wait, stay away from Tiscali, ive just migrated away, they traffic shape heavily, you only get 10k a sec regardless off connection speed on p2p, only time you will get your proper speeds is from 1am till 8am in the morning and also you will get hit with FUP warnings for doing to much browsing during their peak hrs which are 6pm till 11pm (yes seriously thats just browsing), get 3x of those and you get put on the bad boy pipe where your connection is seriously cut. :)

STAY AWAY FROM TISCALI!!!!

I should know i was on them for 5 years, go read the Tiscali forums about the traffic shaping. :p

30-40gb a month will get you put on the bad boy pipe. :D

tiscali are by far the worst isp i have ever has the misfortune of being with.

STAY CLEAR AT ALL COSTS!!!!!

Associate
OP
Just a thought.. can I save/transfer/ all my emails (100's) I've recieved over the last 4-5 years? - because when I cancelled Bt-internet last century :eek: - i no longer had access to my mails from them.

Caporegime
It depends what they do with the account - if they cut it down to PAYG dialup you'll be fine, if they kill it off you're screwed (unless you've downloaded them).

Associate
OP
Thanks stellios. Had a look at my wanadoo mail, but can't find a way of "forwarding them all" - except one at a time :)

EDIT: I did it. By setting up an hotmail account (POP3) and using my wanadoo username/password in the process. Outlook express then read all my wanadoo files - and uploaded them to my inbox file :)

Thanks

Ant

Last edited:
Associate
OllyM said:
No chance will you get 30-40GB for £15/month over BT IPStream.

Tiscali are about the worst ISP around, they come out bottom here, worse than Plusnet, which is a real achievement. People complain of slow speeds, awful (off-shore) customer service, the fact that you're locked in to a 12 month contract and all sorts. Look at the Tiscali forum on ADSLGuide and you'll soon see what I mean.

Plusnet don't come out that badly in the graphs!!
I use them and haven't had any problems browsing, playing on-line games (my son playing Call of Duty, Guild Wars and similar) and doing any largish downloads overnight.

Back
Top Bottom