Incorrect connecting of AIO

Associate
Hi there

Can anyone advise please regarding connecting an Alphacool Core Ocean T38 to a z790 MB?

I recently bought a pre-build from OCUK which was extremely loud upon setting up; after some advice here I got the fans to slow down by adjusting curves. However, the quieter running system revealed an off-putting, intermittent grumbling noise from the pump. I raised a ticket and sent in video evidence to the support team.

They kindly sent out a replacement for me to fit, but upon reading the instruction I realised the AIO fitted wasn't wired as per the guidelines. The 4 pin connector for the pump was connected to two wires, one yellow and one black, which I know are power wires. Being an engineer (not electronics) I assume this would result in max speed tempo for the pump, and not variable as it should be. Moving on from my assumptions, which could well be wrong, I'd like to know if this method of wiring is fine?

The booklet states to connect both 4 pin connectors to fan plugs on the MB, which is what I will do unless the advice here states otherwise.

I've spent hours trying to resolve this, and if it turns out to be error by the building team, I'll be pretty annoyed. I can understand faulty parts, as I sometimes have to let customers down after receiving faulty parts.

Thank you.

P.S which fan port would the AIO fans need to be plugged into? The pump I assume will go to CPU_fan, but not sure about the radiator fans.

Last edited:
Soldato
"The built-in pump has a speed range of 2500 - 3500 RPM (+/- 10%) and can be controlled via PWM" so at least we know it can be varied.

Maybe check the motherboard manual. There will be normal FAN headers up to 1A and then 1 or 2 headers that support up to 2A. The CPU FAN, CPU_OPT or a WP/PUMP headers will be the best ones to use. Rad fans to CPU_FAN and AIO to "pump" header would be ideal.

My Z790 ITX board has the CPU_FAN1/WP connector combined and I plugged my Cooler Master AIO 4 pin into that. The rad fans x2 plug into CHA_FAN1 and my case fans x2 into CHA_FAN2. I have the pump run at 60% below 40C then jumps to 85% when the CPU is between 50-70C. Then jumps to 100% from 80C above.

I set that in the BIOS so I don't have to mess with Windows software. I do have the Asrock A-Tune util installed so I could just check the pump speed was changing when running the CPU-Z stress test.

If the pump was plugged into a normal header with a default fan profile then it's possible the pump was at times not running so the noise was the pump starting and air gurgling. Some dedicated pump headers just run at max for that reason.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
If the pump was plugged into a normal header with a default fan profile then it's possible the pump was at times not running so the noise was the pump starting and air gurgling. Some dedicated pump headers just run at max for that reason.
Thanks for the response.

The pump is plugged direct into the power loom from the PSU, so it's receiving max voltage regardless of temperature.

I can't see any ports on the MB that say 'pump' on it. The radiator fans are plugged into CPU_fan, so they adjust speed as temperature changes. Will the pump be okay in CPU_OPT?

Soldato
The radiator fans are plugged into CPU_fan, so they adjust speed as temperature changes. Will the pump be okay in CPU_OPT?

Will the PWM of the fans not dictate what speed the pump runs at?

I would plug the pump into another fan header so you can alter the speed of the fans and the pump indipendently of each other.

Soldato
Will the PWM of the fans not dictate what speed the pump runs at?

I would plug the pump into another fan header so you can alter the speed of the fans and the pump indipendently of each other.
Not on mine. I have pump connected to cpu_fan and controlled by siv (gigabyte board) based on cpu temp.

I then don’t have a cpu_opt header and only one sys_fan header in a sensible position so I have a hub with the aio fans and case fans connected to it that then connects to that sys_fan header - also linked to cpu temp.

I’ve set it this way as I want my pump at about 70% at all times until temps hit say 40c, but only want my fans even those on the aio at like 30% until temps rise.

To add - all the headers do exactly the same thing so you can connect anything to any of them. The only one that really needs something connected to it is cpu_fan otherwise you’ll likely not post.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for the response.

The pump is plugged direct into the power loom from the PSU, so it's receiving max voltage regardless of temperature.

I can't see any ports on the MB that say 'pump' on it. The radiator fans are plugged into CPU_fan, so they adjust speed as temperature changes. Will the pump be okay in CPU_OPT?
If the pump head is powered from the PSU (usually a SATA cable) then the wire to the motherboard could be just a tach signal. At least I've seen it done that way before such as on my NZXT X62 AIO which is controlled via a USB header + CAM software.

I did do some digging on the AC Ocean T38 and I didn't see any PSU cables just an ARGB & 4 PIN header cable so this is a bit confusing.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I've had remote assistance off a tech that does this for a living, and he said this has been wired up illogically.

Instead of using the yellow connector, they should have just plugged the pump into the pump header which exists on this Mobo.

Connecting the AIO direct to the MB would have prevented the pump running on max constantly. It would have also saved OCUK the cost of the D connector.

The system wasn't tuned; when merely browsing the web, it was running at high speeds that made it sound like a wind tunnel. I paid for OCUK to build and configure this system. It clearly hasn't been configured very well.

Here's the images of the 4 pin pump connector connected directly to the PSU loom.

Man of Honour
Not OcUK but I've had that with a pre-built machine before where it was wired off an adaptor like that so running flat out constantly - apparently company policy when I queried it (to "minimise" the possibilities of the customer doing something which caused issues if they tweaked the BIOS).

Associate
OP
What did you go for?

Agree with this.
It was one of the gaming configurable systems; perhaps that's why it was wired to run flat out, assuming I would exclusively use it for gaming.

Z790 ud ax, 4070ti, i737000k I think.

Anyway, when the pump is plugged into the cpu_opt the speeds in the gigabyte control suite fluctuates similarly to 700rpm' 1300rpm, 1000rpm .

When home from work I'll try the pump header.

I'll also take this to CS, which I assume is Customer Service.

Thanks

Associate
Hi.

Fwiw, everytime I've had an AIO pump grumble and rumble it has been due to air trapped in the pump.

This was resolved by powering up the system and tilting it in such a way they air can move freely into the rad.

Hth

Soldato
This configuration just runs the pump at 100%. I have done this many times without an issue, its the same as fitting it to a fan header and setting to 100%/full speed. It is generally done so that if the user is playing about in the BIOS and sets the fan/AIO header to a lower speed it can damage the system. Its not an issue running the pump at 100% and many AIOs actually come with a cable that does this included and some actually only have this option with a tacho cable to plug into the board to ensure that its running.

The grumble/groan is more likely a bit of trapped air in the loop. Try putting on its side and running for a while and it should go.

Associate
OP
Last edited:
Soldato
so they fitted a less than ideal aio in your pre-build? i'd be sending the whole thing back to be honest. if you've bought a pre built and then be advised to buy a different aio by the same people that provided the system i'd be sending that back and telling them to 'try again'

edit: i'd also suggest the explanation you got was a load of nonsense.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
so they fitted a less than ideal aio in your pre-build? i'd be sending the whole thing back to be honest. if you've bought a pre built and then be advised to buy a different aio by the same people that provided the system i'd be sending that back and telling them to 'try again'

edit: i'd also suggest the explanation you got was a load of nonsense.
I actually said the parts can't be compatible if one can't work correctly when connected as per the instructions (pump plugged into the pump/fan header).
The AIO Core Ocean T38 is what I have; I have since Googled it and found report of it being a noisy AIO, but good value for money. As the saying goes....you get what you pay for.

Thanks

Associate
OP
What response did you get to that?
A contrarian response about it having connections that fit the PSU loom (which they didn't use-as seen in the photos above) therefor it is compatible; so I was in no position to question it other than my original point about it not being per the instructions.

The chap was nice and polite, so I have no complaints on that front.

The CX service guy I originally dealt with is back tomorrow, so I'll have the discussion with him to see if we can resolve this.

Soldato
Looking at reviews of the cooler shows that it does not come with a connector for the PSU loom.

Even the manual shows connecting to the motherboard fan headers and does not list a PSU connector.

Back
Top Bottom