Increase Wireless Network range up to 1 mile.

Soldato
hi all

is there a way to increase my wireless network range of up to 1 mile?

someone was telling me they used their sky dish to increase the range something about a parabolic effect, usb cable and usb dongle. also a big wok was mentioned.

is it true?how can it work?

Associate
yeah it can be done google and you will find mods like this http://flakey.info/antenna/waveguide/ allowing extended range thought dont expect massive speeds.

this sort of thing will need a fairly direct line of sight as well.

would be possible to do it using more routers as repeaters but this is impractical

does it have to be done over wireless?

Soldato
Wireless point to point bridge links can extend upto ~26 miles @ a data rate of 11Mbps using a 21dbi dish antenna and ideal weather conditions.

This is achieved by using a more focussed beam width rather than scattering the signal like an omni antenna.

Soldato
OP
yeah it can be done google and you will find mods like this http://flakey.info/antenna/waveguide/ allowing extended range thought dont expect massive speeds.

this sort of thing will need a fairly direct line of sight as well.

would be possible to do it using more routers as repeaters but this is impractical

does it have to be done over wireless?

Thanks yes it has to be wireless because of the distance.

Direct line of sight mmmmmm

Soldato
OP
Wireless point to point bridge links can extend upto ~26 miles @ a data rate of 11Mbps using a 21dbi dish antenna and ideal weather conditions.

This is achieved by using a more focussed beam width rather than scattering the signal like an omni antenna.

wow 26 miles
just like the Flora London marathon

wij

wij

Associate
What's the purpose of this out of interest?

As if it were for anything serious I'd be looking at real 5Ghz bridges (not a bloody saucepan with a pringle tube glued to it) and some big parabolic grid antennas.

TBH though if I had clear LOS I would also be looking at freespace optics and the likes.

Associate
The point you've missed is a parabolic antenna simply focuses the signal, provided the angles are correct the £2 saucepan does the same job a £200 antenna you can buy does, it's basic physics but hey, if you're "serious" and want to spend for nice looks that's your prerogative. I have to admit though, using a pair of old sky dishes would be more effective. 5GHz does not automatically mean it's better than 2.4GHz either.

Optics are overkills tbh, not to mention requiring an uninterrupted los, wifi will handle the odd bird more effectively.

Soldato
OP
lol

I think I'll try the pringle method first
then I will move on to my sky dish

the point to this? So I can connect to my friends wireless network

Back
Top Bottom