Increasing Mains Cold Water Pressure and Flow Rate

Caporegime
There is something very odd going on if you're only getting 12L/min on a 3 bar mdpe connection to the main. Is this measured before any other outlets so as to rule out other internal plumbing issues? I'm reading yes from your post.

Associate
OP
Something like this.
https://www.whisperpumps.com/Dab-ESybox-Mini-Water-Pressure-System
Attached to a tank would give you fabulous flow and pressure. Variable speed means it only works as hard as hard as it needs to.
Open more taps, and pump speed increases, maintaining constant pressure.
If you go to the pressure boosting section of the site, you will see the major brands, as well as systems designed and built by ourselves in house.
On the site you will find tanks as well, although it's possible your plumber may have more suitable options. If you have time to chat, call the main number tomorrow and ask for Mark. Should be able to sweeten the price also.
;)

I’ve seen that system advertised before but couldn’t find much info on it. I’m assuming any suitable water tank would work with that?

There is something very odd going on if you're only getting 12L/min on a 3 bar mdpe connection to the main. Is this measured before any other outlets so as to rule out other internal plumbing issues? I'm reading yes from your post.

I measured just under (2.9 ish) bar on the washing machine connector in the kitchen, then when I turn on the kitchen tap it drops down to 0.7/0.8 bar. If I measure flow rate at the end of the 25mm MDPE (before it even goes through the new stop ****) it’s 12L/min

Associate
I’ve seen that system advertised before but couldn’t find much info on it. I’m assuming any suitable water tank would work with that?.

Yes. Supply it with water and it will work. Click on the Datasheet tab on the web page and the datasheets are available to view/download.
The only problems we have ever had with that product is people assume it goes straight onto the mains, due to how it looks and its compact size.

Associate
OP
It’s an older house (60’s built). Water will be for shower/bath and general use around the house.

I’ve only really considered combi system. I’m assuming you are talking about having a hot water tank somewhere?

Soldato
Yes. Supply it with water and it will work. Click on the Datasheet tab on the web page and the datasheets are available to view/download.
The only problems we have ever had with that product is people assume it goes straight onto the mains, due to how it looks and its compact size.

Guess you need a pretty hedfty water tank for the average home?

Soldato
It’s an older house (60’s built). Water will be for shower/bath and general use around the house.

I’ve only really considered combi system. I’m assuming you are talking about having a hot water tank somewhere?

If you have the space combi's are not the only answer, modern cylinder systems have a lot to offer and half decent plumber should be happy to talk through your options.

Associate
OP
I’ve just been round to a house 3 doors away who we know and measured their pressure, quite different from ours!

Static pressure - 3.2 bar
Dynamic pressure - 2.4 bar
Flow rate - 21L/min

I’ve got SW Water coming out on Wednesday so hopefully they can do something to increase ours! Hopefully it’s just a dodgy/clogged up meter or something simple and cheap to rectify!

Associate
OP
Just to keep updated, SWW came out and have agreed that we are getting poor flow rate and have agreed to replace the communication pipe free of charge! The have said I will get the same and 3 doors down so I’m happy with that!

Soldato
Cambridge Water will replaced any communication pipe free of charge. We had ours done at the our old house. Money was never discussed.

I've just moved into a new place and have pressure/flow problems.

There's an unvented (Megaflow) tank in the house. Cold water pressure seems fairly OKish, although the flow isn't great. Pressure seem to drop when switching mixer taps from cold to hot, I would have thought they'd be the same?

I'm not really sure where to start. Most plumbers seem to hate the diagnostics sorts of jobs.

Ideally, I'd like to run at least 2 showers, washing machine and the odd bog flush at the same time.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been renovating my house for the past 6 months and as part of this I've had a new 40kw Baxi Ecotec boiler, full new piping throughout and have fitted a Mira element shower. I was expecting pretty amazing showers on a morning, and whilst it's ok it's not quite the blasting I was expecting. One thing I've noticed is that the water flow seems decent however if I turn the tap in the kitchen on I get zero water at the bathroom tap, could there be a problem there?
If I bought the Dab E.Sybox Mini 3 as mentioned above, what else would I require and how/where is it fitted?

Associate
I've been renovating my house for the past 6 months and as part of this I've had a new 40kw Baxi Ecotec boiler, full new piping throughout and have fitted a Mira element shower. I was expecting pretty amazing showers on a morning, and whilst it's ok it's not quite the blasting I was expecting. One thing I've noticed is that the water flow seems decent however if I turn the tap in the kitchen on I get zero water at the bathroom tap, could there be a problem there?
If I bought the Dab E.Sybox Mini 3 as mentioned above, what else would I require and how/where is it fitted?
You need some form of cold water storage, to feed the E.Sybox or any other pump for that matter.
As for where its fitted, it really can go anywhere its convenient.

Back
Top Bottom