Induction hob - cracked

Associate
Hey Guys

How strong should the glass on these hobs be? I had a fairly light extracter fall onto mine which has smashed the whole top. I thought these would be toughened glass?

Soldato
Glass is glass at the end of the day, toughened or not it will still smash when it’s given enough force, especially at the edge or on a very fine point (like the corner of an extractor).

Soldato
Toughened glass is only tougher than regular glass, it is still very brittle and can catastrophically fail if bent or sharply hit by something hard, especially if it is harder than the glass.

Soldato
You were probably unlucky that it went in corner first and acted like a centre punch. Obviously hobs can take weight, but the right sort of impact will break or crack most glass if the impact is concentrated into a point. It's how those car window escape tools work. Chuck a brick at a car window and it bounces off, but a little weight behind a hard point, and it shatters.

Caporegime
Missus just broke our siemens one, £250 to replace the glass on a £750 hob.

All she dropped on it was a glass herb pot from the cupboard above :eek:

Gf ca be clumsy. Was hoping to get an induction hob, but if their this fragile kind of glad we've gotten a rangemaster gas!

Associate
Chiming in to say my gf cracked our hob also, knocked my keep cup (glass) out of the cupboard above onto the edge and now the bottom corner is borked. Annoying since house is up for sale, and it's the other big ring basically unusable now.

Since the hob was only about 200 i think it's a replacement jobby, stuff like this always happens when you choose not to take out the accidental damage protect from the manufacturer!

Back
Top Bottom