infin8 but different case

Associate

I love this computer, but the drive bays were taken out that sit in the bottom, and I need them for my drives... is there any alternatives to this soulution, maybe this build in a "Corsair 1000D"? or something..

I have 5/6 drives that need bays..
(Don't talk about using nvmes, and blah blah blah) i already have 2..

I've asked a question (about drive bays) basically i need them. Unless someone could explain maybe an enclosure? and would it just be as good as if my drivers were directly inside my computer via sata? i've never used an enclosure before, and all my drivers have games on, each drive is 10Tb-14TB.. (Western digitals and barricudas) I also have an SATA SSD!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Usually you can just ask to swap the case in a pre-build, but umm, yeah, this system is not so simple because of the watercooling. No harm in asking OCUK if they have any suggestions.

i've never used an enclosure before, and all my drivers have games on, each drive is 10Tb-14TB.. (Western digitals and barricudas) I also have an SATA SSD!

Enclosures can actually be pretty fast nowadays, with USB 3.0, to the point that you can't even tell, but realistically it would be annoying to have lots of drives connected this way (cable mess and desk space).

The alternative is to use something like a NAS, which would bring all the drives together, but it isn't cheap and I suspect it won't work very well for some games.

Man of Honour
The build uses custom distro plates for the watercooling layout, it won't fit in another case i'm afraid.

It would need a total redesign to fit another case, but it does no harm to ask the shop.

I'm sure Ian would like a challenge :D

Soldato
Enclosures can actually be pretty fast nowadays, with USB 3.0, to the point that you can't even tell, but realistically it would be annoying to have lots of drives connected this way (cable mess and desk space).
Yeah I've got an 18TB WD Elements and honestly it's hitting the limit of the drive on USB 3.whatever it is, actually my sata ssd's (1tb mx500) aren't being held back in an enclosure either and they're faster than the hard drives I have lol

@ThePathOfBlood Good thing is these days you can get enclosures with multiple bays for reasonable prices, something like the below should do what you're after. Mind you if you're prepared to pay 10k on a pc then spending a couple of hundred more on an enclosure isn't going to hurt lol.

Associate
OP
Yeah I've got an 18TB WD Elements and honestly it's hitting the limit of the drive on USB 3.whatever it is, actually my sata ssd's (1tb mx500) aren't being held back in an enclosure either and they're faster than the hard drives I have lol

@ThePathOfBlood Good thing is these days you can get enclosures with multiple bays for reasonable prices, something like the below should do what you're after. Mind you if you're prepared to pay 10k on a pc then spending a couple of hundred more on an enclosure isn't going to hurt lol.

I'm happy spending a few hundred or so on an enclosure, that's not a problem!
Like i said i've got 4-5 drives that i'd need an enclosure for then!

And I know absolutely nothing about enclosures, speeds e.t.c!
So my main questions to everyone that has stuck to my Q/A and directly answered (thank you) now if you could answer a couple more that be great!

1) Would using a enclosure give me slower speeds than using sata directly from board to the drive.
2) Does an enclosure throttle or lower speeds?
3) Can I install stuff, uninstall stuff, like i can with drives directly plugged into the computer via sata?

MY WD blacks for example are 10TB and have 256Mbcache, upto 263Mb/s transfer rate
Kind of like my Barracuda Pros.
I also have as mentioned an SSD sata (850 Pro)

Would any speeds or anything be negated or however you'd describe this by using an enclosure? (again) never used one, so i've got no idea!

I will be contacting overclockers regarding the PC, maybe redesign e.t.c

p.s
I just want whatever will allow me to basically do what I can with my current hdds, install games, files, otherstuff, typical stuff, so either enclosure or nas, or whatever's recommended.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm happy spending a few hundred or so on an enclosure, that's not a problem!
Like i said i've got 4-5 drives that i'd need an enclosure for then!
well the one I linked to supports 5 drives, there are other similar options out there but I can only link to OCUK.

1) Would using a enclosure give me slower speeds than using sata directly from board to the drive.
2) Does an enclosure throttle or lower speeds?
3) Can I install stuff, uninstall stuff, like i can with drives directly plugged into the computer via sata?

MY WD blacks for example are 10TB and have 256Mbcache, upto 263Mb/s transfer rate
Kind of like my Barracuda Pros.
I also have as mentioned an SSD sata (850 Pro)

Would any speeds or anything be negated or however you'd describe this by using an enclosure? (again) never used one, so i've got no idea!

I will be contacting overclockers regarding the PC, maybe redesign e.t.c
As long as you go usb 3 or above you shouldn't see any noticeable slow down from the drives, I don't see any real slow down on my sata ssd which is higher than the 263 of your hard drives, it would be the same situation with your ssd if you went this way. You could potentially be slowed down by the drive you're copying to on a pc if it's slower than the sending drive, say ssd to hard drive, but as you're going to be nvme only on this build it shouldn't matter.

Can you run games etc, no reason why you can't but it will depend on the game etc if it actually likes being installed there.

Personally I'd just upgrade the nvme drives on the main build to be bigger than 1TB (to be honest at 10K that is paltry and should be higher, especially with current price drops imo) and do away with the ssd you have, having said that you do have 2 mounts behind the motherboard tray in the case for 2.5inch ssd's... I'd ask OCUK to pre-run cables so you just need to plug in the drive(s)

Associate
OP
well the one I linked to supports 5 drives, there are other similar options out there but I can only link to OCUK.

As long as you go usb 3 or above you shouldn't see any noticeable slow down from the drives, I don't see any real slow down on my sata ssd which is higher than the 263 of your hard drives, it would be the same situation with your ssd if you went this way. You could potentially be slowed down by the drive you're copying to on a pc if it's slower than the sending drive, say ssd to hard drive, but as you're going to be nvme only on this build it shouldn't matter.

Can you run games etc, no reason why you can't but it will depend on the game etc if it actually likes being installed there.

Personally I'd just upgrade the nvme drives on the main build to be bigger than 1TB (to be honest at 10K that is paltry and should be higher, especially with current price drops imo) and do away with the ssd you have, having said that you do have 2 mounts behind the motherboard tray in the case for 2.5inch ssd's... I'd ask OCUK to pre-run cables so you just need to plug in the drive(s)
Thanks, see scan (i don't know) if im allowed to mention scan? had a computer ages ago i loved but no longer do, and overclockers the one listed is almost similar, but better due to cooling, (posted scans version) below. as an image < Obviously I'd only have 1 GPU, this was a 3090 build that scan did! with a 12900K

Looking for dual radiator, dual reservoir build. ans so far only infi8 is what i'm after compared to scans. Heck I don't care if infini8 has to look way more basic, plus i hate that side facing GPU.. would ask them to actually slot it in properly, as I'd also have an "USB Expansion card" and Capture card I've got to use..

^
Also I love my 1TB Nvme :p i only really use my NVME for OS and System files, and whatever else.
I put stuff like Fallout, Star Citizen, No mans sky and more onto my SSD.
And rest of my games onto my HDD's.

-
Also thanks for direct answers to the enclosure, appreciate it! was hoping you'd not answer to techy related and you didn't, totally understood! Thanks :) And yeah I know about sending files from a slow drive to a faster drive and foward>back

Appreciate it!
355272077_6577546772296613_1277837234453047495_n.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks, see scan (i don't know) if im allowed to mention scan? had a computer ages ago i loved but no longer do, and overclockers the one listed is almost similar, but better due to cooling, (posted scans version) below. as an image < Obviously I'd only have 1 GPU, this was a 3090 build that scan did! with a 12900K

Looking for dual radiator, dual reservoir build. ans so far only infi8 is what i'm after compared to scans. Heck I don't care if infini8 has to look way more basic, plus i hate that side facing GPU.. would ask them to actually slot it in properly, as I'd also have an "USB Expansion card" and Capture card I've got to use..

^
Also I love my 1TB Nvme :p i only really use my NVME for OS and System files, and whatever else.
I put stuff like Fallout, Star Citizen, No mans sky and more onto my SSD.
And rest of my games onto my HDD's.

-
Also thanks for direct answers to the enclosure, appreciate it! was hoping you'd not answer to techy related and you didn't, totally understood! Thanks :) And yeah I know about sending files from a slow drive to a faster drive and foward>back

Appreciate it!
355272077_6577546772296613_1277837234453047495_n.jpg
Shouldn't really mention competitors but it's not like you're linking to them... pretty much everyone on here likely knows of them anyway lol.

It was suggested earlier so why not give OCUK a shout directly with your 'want list' and see what they say about build options and cost... worst case scenario is they'll say no lol

Also you really should be looking at using nvme drives to run games from rather than a HD, they're far faster and if the game is coded to use it the only way to make use of directstorage (faster/real time loading of assets etc). NVME is essentially a faster ssd in a different form factor at the end of the day so it would basically replace your sata ssd in your current build.

The best way of looking at storage these days is:
NVME SSD - High speed transfer and fast access times, primary drive(s), use for important games, programs etc, ideal for a scratch disk if you use them imo. For reference - I have 2 nvme, 1 is OS/games/programs, the other is my scratch disk for when doing design work.
Sata SSD - Faster access times, faster than HD but slower than NVME, not exactly needed these days if you have enough NVME slots. For reference I have 6 sata SSD's, 2 in mirrored storage spaces for documents, 1 for 'downloads' and 3 for general storage... you don't need to do this sort of set up, it just works for me.
HD - slowest option in all respects, generally reserved for bulk and large capacity storage. For reference, I have none in my main pc, I have external drives and I do have a NAS, also am currently looking at building an unraid server using HD's for media server and backup duty.

Associate
OP
Shouldn't really mention competitors but it's not like you're linking to them... pretty much everyone on here likely knows of them anyway lol.

It was suggested earlier so why not give OCUK a shout directly with your 'want list' and see what they say about build options and cost... worst case scenario is they'll say no lol

Also you really should be looking at using nvme drives to run games from rather than a HD, they're far faster and if the game is coded to use it the only way to make use of directstorage (faster/real time loading of assets etc). NVME is essentially a faster ssd in a different form factor at the end of the day so it would basically replace your sata ssd in your current build.

The best way of looking at storage these days is:
NVME SSD - High speed transfer and fast access times, primary drive(s), use for important games, programs etc, ideal for a scratch disk if you use them imo. For reference - I have 2 nvme, 1 is OS/games/programs, the other is my scratch disk for when doing design work.
Sata SSD - Faster access times, faster than HD but slower than NVME, not exactly needed these days if you have enough NVME slots. For reference I have 6 sata SSD's, 2 in mirrored storage spaces for documents, 1 for 'downloads' and 3 for general storage... you don't need to do this sort of set up, it just works for me.
HD - slowest option in all respects, generally reserved for bulk and large capacity storage. For reference, I have none in my main pc, I have external drives and I do have a NAS, also am currently looking at building an unraid server using HD's for media server and backup duty.
I mean if you're willing to give me about 10K give or take for 4-8TB NVMES <3 sure, also that's kind of inaccurate with "faster for the games" it's only a small minority, it's most loading times and such, for example go install crysis or fallout 3 and many other games into an NVME+HDD you'll see pratically no difference, I've never seen a difference, and I'm not buying NVME for all games when average game these days is around 100GB+, Ark, GTA, Half Life Alyx, Warhammer Vermitide, Call of duty, and many more!
yeah that's 1TB already gone on just a couple games... and you should always leave at least 100Gb free out of 1TB... XD Totally having a 400+Game library, to have to constantly uninstall and reinstall games. Sure some games make use of direcstorage, but not every game out there, and only if game as stated is made to use such things.
And I play all my games perfectly fine with zero issues on a HDD, you'd have to have a really bad performance HDD to even get really bad usage for a need to smash them all onto SSD+NVMEs.. And they don't exactly increase FPS. even when and even when very little they do, it's not even noticeable, only really good for texture loadins and more... again pointless for 99.9% of games unless again your drives are trash to start with.

4TB nvme alones are what? 300-600£? each? give or take,

Heck i've got fully modded Fallout 4 on my B-PRO, barely takes a moment to load the game, and then start playing, textures and whatever already done.. And until SSDs and NVMES lower the prices to HDD prices, pointless.
14TB for 400£ or so, yeah..
And motherboards only hold a very limited amount of NVME's.. and im not going to go buying PCIE expansion cards for more NVMEs.. I'm not a millionaire,

Last edited:
Soldato
I mean if you're willing to give me about 20K give or take for 4-8TB NVMES <3 sure
20k... nah, the motherboard in that pc you linked has 5 nvme/m2 slots so even in worst case scenario of 5x8TB drives (do you really need 40TB of active game storage...) you're only looking around 5k, what's an extra 50% on the build cost when you're spending 10K :p

Associate
OP
20k... nah, the motherboard in that pc you linked has 5 nvme/m2 slots so even in worst case scenario of 5x8TB drives (do you really need 40TB of active game storage...) you're only looking around 5k, what's an extra 50% on the build cost when you're spending 10K :p
Yes because all my 10-14TB HDD's are already full and I have over 40TB+ of games installed! Alone with work stuff, photos, videos, and more. (no i wont use online storage so anyone can see my family photos and more and if sites go down and apocalypse or whatever!)... i'd rather keep them on my own system thanks :) Heck even my SSd and nvmes are used.. XD and I use barricuda pros and western digital blacks!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Plus smaller NVmes means less space to work with, and more file scattering... rather not live with that.. it's a pain..

But do you actually play them all, if you're only playing a few of the games you can just transfer them over as and when you need them.
Yes, unlike most i actually play all my games, i'm not going get stuck to one game, gets boring.. plus at least im ready if power goes down, i move home, war? at least all my stuff is downloaded :) not all countries and places have gigabit internet.. i've lived in homes with like 20Mbps download.. yeah totally want to spend a day waiting for a 100GB+ game to download lol

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes, unlike most i actually play all my games, i'm not going get stuck to one game, gets boring.. plus at least im ready if power goes down, i move home, war? at least all my stuff is downloaded :) not all countries and places have gigabit internet.. i've lived in homes with like 20Mbps download.. yeah totally want to spend a day waiting for a 100GB+ game to download lol
I never said download... you're already keeping the files on the HD. What I'm suggesting is transfer from the external drive to the PC when you want it. You're not going to be switching between 40TB+ of games on a daily basis are you. At the end of the day it's your choice but you're likely missing out on performance by using the HD's for game files.

Plus smaller NVmes means less space to work with, and more file scattering... rather not live with that.. it's a pain..
File scattering means literally nothing on an SSD, they don't have the same issues with defragmentation as a HD

Back
Top Bottom