Inheritance question.

Soldato
so you want to rent out part of the property, i.e. a bedroom, forcing Alice to live with someone ?
not cool i think, even if it is legal
either buy the whole house and rent it or sell and buy another to rent i'd say

Associate
While we're here - rather than raising a new inheritance thread :p (as this one seems mostly answered. I'll take the hint immediately if it's a problem).

So Mike has 3 siblings. Mike passes away. 1 of the siblings (female as... it sometimes matters for blood relations) later also passes away.
When Mikes estate is being sorted out, without a will so basic probate, does the deceased sister's husband at the time she passed also get an automatic cut in?

I'd assume that as she was alive at the point Mike passed, she inherits her share, as his sister. This would then be split according to her will or passed by rules of probate to her spouse?
Just curious if there's a gotcha for the spouse, as the sisters estate was already considered wrapped up (I can't see there being any other reason he wouldn't get rights to a share).

For the record, I'm not the husband of the deceased sister (as it might be considered a bit dickish to demand a share in the above circumstances if I was).

Under intestacy rules there's a pecking order for who would inherit, which I think is spouse/partner first, then children, then grandchildren and other direct descendants, then parents, then siblings and finally siblings' children. If the siblings did inherit then my understanding is the same as Werewolf's and the share for a sibling that died after Mike would go into their estate. IANAL etc. etc.

Soldato
Under intestacy rules there's a pecking order for who would inherit, which I think is spouse/partner first, then children, then grandchildren and other direct descendants, then parents, then siblings and finally siblings' children. If the siblings did inherit then my understanding is the same as Werewolf's and the share for a sibling that died after Mike would go into their estate. IANAL etc. etc.

If it were being split 3 ways to the children, if one of the three had 2 children and died before the original parent the grand children would receive half the 1/3rd each so 1/6th of the estate.

Soldato
Best just to sell. Bob wants to rent it out to provide himself an income so by the sounds of it he is cash strapped so what will happen when the property needs maintenance and repairs? A la another have-a-go landlord is born.

Soldato
Here is another one if someone wants to have a stab;

Fred is married with 2 children and dies. Fred has 1 sister (Jill, married and no children) and 2 parents living.

10 years later Fred's father (Jim) also dies, naturally Jim's wife (Marion) gets anything that Jim may have owned.

5 years later Marion dies.

How is Jim and Marion's inheritance split?

1) Jill receives 100%
2) Jill receives 50% and Fred's wife receives 50%
3) Other

Back
Top Bottom