Inheritance, what will you do?

Caporegime
Won't be having any kids so not actually something I need to think about.

If I did have anything left i would probably want it to go to charity or wife etc.

But at 31 is not something I've thought about other than Im not having kids

Associate
It's still worth thinking about even if you don't have kids.

Sorting your estate out will be much easier with a will.

My parents have given comfortably more to my sister but as she just had her first child the money helps her much more than me.

I'm secure enough financially to not need half and when I die my sister's kids inherit all my stuff anyway....

Associate
Well I've got a grown up son from a previous relationship and he is in line for a pretty reasonable inheritance from his grandparents on his mothers side of the family (though I'm pretty sure skipping the 'kids' to pass the inheritance directly to the grandchildren will result in plenty of arguments).

So the plan (current partner and I) is to give our house to our little one. Assuming we haven't sold it to travel the world in our retirement. Split any money I have 50/50 between both my kids and any money my wife has all goes to our little one, not my eldest. It's not because my wife hates my eldest or anything just simply down to the fact there is a good chance he will get an inheritance from both his mother and his grandparents.

Permabanned
I only have one child; a son, (lost my daughter 2 years ago, 6 months after she was born) unless I have anymore, which I doubt. Everything will go to him.

Soldato
Within "modern" families things can get very complicated. On the face of it mine would be simple, just split it equal between my daughter and my 2 step daughters. When myself and my daughters mother split up 30 years ago (we weren't married), i gave her the house we lived in (i already owned it) she still lives in the same house. A few years latter i met and married my late wife and we bought a house together. She died 6 years ago so her estate came to me not her 2 daughters.
When my daughters mother dies her estate will go to my daughter. My dilemma when deciding what to do with my will was the very question the OP raised. I wanted to be fair to my stepdaughters as well as my daughter. Because my daughter will end up inheriting a house i gave to her mother in the first place, i have left the bulk of my estate including my current house between both my stepdaughters and a reasonable amount of cash to my daughter. I know it won't be a problem after i'm dead because we have all discussed the situation.

Soldato
Equal. Unless there had been some inherent disadvantage such as disability, deformity or difficulty preventing one of the beneficiaries being dealt the same hand as the others so to speak.

I would think, or at least hope, in the above instance the other beneficiaries would give thought if an equal share approach had been chosen but there was a greater need.

Man of Honour
Equal. Unless there had been some inherent disadvantage such as disability, deformity or difficulty preventing one of the beneficiaries being dealt the same hand as the others so to speak.

I would think, or at least hope, in the above instance the other beneficiaries would give thought if an equal share approach had been chosen but there was a greater need.
I'm not really fussed of 'being dealt the same hand'. If I had two children and one was, say, an investment banker, I may consider opting against an equal split if the other was, say, a profession session musician (or something).

Soldato
Don't have kids but I suppose it depends, if one is well off, with other half well off. Compared to other one who is on minimum wage job, then I think the one worse off should get a larger shared.

Associate
I only have one child but the idea of one offspring receiving a greater share than the other is terrible, unless you have a severely strained relationship with one if your children then they should be treated equally.

Soldato
I only have one child but the idea of one offspring receiving a greater share than the other is terrible, unless you have a severely strained relationship with one if your children then they should be treated equally.

Just go to other extreme. One of your sons has a mansion and a ferrari, the other works in a supermarket.

Who would you give your money to?

Soldato
I think what we leave to anyone could just be academic anyway. If i die next week my estate will be split as stated a few posts above. If i live into my 90's i fully expect there won't be much left to split, most of what i own would have been spent on the care home costs for me before i die :D

Back
Top Bottom