Inside Out 2 - Pixar - 14 June 2024

Soldato
Hi all,

This one seems to have almost snuck out without a huge amount of PR around it that I've seen but it's box office has been amazing for Pixar, who really needed a win after so many recent flops, with it hitting almost $300m in a just a few days. It came out a few days ago and from everything I'm seeing (even from the usual 'I hate Disney' folks) it looks like its a really good film!

The little voices inside Riley’s head know her inside and out—but next summer, everything changes when Disney and Pixar’s “Inside Out 2” introduces a new Emotion: Anxiety. According to director Kelsey Mann, the new character promises to stir things up within headquarters. “Anxiety, voiced by Maya Hawke, might be new to the crew, but she’s not really the type to take a back seat,” said Mann. “That makes a lot of sense if you think about it in terms of what goes on inside all our minds.”

Disney and Pixar’s “Inside Out 2” returns to the mind of newly minted teenager Riley just as headquarters is undergoing a sudden demolition to make room for something entirely unexpected: new Emotions! Joy, Sadness, Anger, Fear and Disgust, who’ve long been running a successful operation by all accounts, aren’t sure how to feel when Anxiety shows up. And it looks like she’s not alone. Maya Hawke lends her voice to Anxiety, alongside Amy Poehler as Joy, Phyllis Smith as Sadness, Lewis Black as Anger, Tony Hale as Fear, and Liza Lapira as Disgust."

**************************************************************************************

Reviews -

The Guardian - 4/5 - "What’s new is the subtle message that tribalism is toxic. And it’s subtle because the girls Riley wants to impress are nice.......The pressure to belong to a winning team leads to a panic-attack sequence as moving, and visually inventive, as anything in those impeccable Pixar spin-offs Toy Story 2 and 3."

Forbes - "it’s a beautifully crafted film that’s equal parts hilarious and moving. Pixar is at the top of its storytelling and animation game, and I can’t recommend this highly enough."

The New York Times - "[it's] a wistful conceptual dazzler about a girl that is also a testament to one of the pleasures of movies: the engagement of our emotions."

Empire - 4/5 - "Through this decade so far, Pixar’s films have held great ideas that haven’t quite reached their full potential. This is probably its best film since Coco, and best sequel since Toy Story 3."

BBC - 4/5 - "Inside Out 2 glimmers with diamond-hard truths about the complex business of being a human being – especially a teenage human being – but it's still a fast-paced and playful comedy adventure with even more jokes and more puns than Inside Out."

Telegraph - 4/5 - "It may be some time in the Hollywood animation world since Pixar was the only show in town. But on form, they remain a vital one."

Daily Mail - 4/5 - "while it can’t hope to recapture the novelty factor of the first Inside Out (indeed, the plot is basically the same, although Riley was only 11 at the start of the original), it’s otherwise even funnier, cleverer and more awesomely inventive, if not (thankfully) as emotionally devastating."

Man of Honour
Can’t be as good as Puss in Boots 2.

(Ok ok I’ll let it die….!)

Will be checking this out at the weekend - Pixar are great when they go for adult feels but I can’t stand when they go for toddler-level jokes / appeal.

Animations is what Disney needs to get back into, as everyone is now Marvelled out. This sequel looks pretty decent from the trailers here but Disney also need to rely on more original content as everything seems to be sequels at the moment. Encanto from a couple of years back was promising.

Soldato
Inside Out wasn't my favourite Pixar film but it was enjoyable and I found some scenes hilarious "Sir, the foot is down".

Will probably catch this when it arrives on D+

Soldato
OP
Animated movies seem to be one of the few things released in the cinema that is almost guaranteed to make money at the moment.

Unless you're Pixar, who have had a torrid time over the past few years with flop after flop (Soul, Lightyear, Turning Red) at the box office (mostly for COVID/Streaming reasons) which is why its good to see this do so well.

Soldato
I really like Soul, turning red was fine but I heard so much bad about Lightyear that I never bothered watching it and I love Toy Story

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I saw this today - I tend to watch films ‘emotionally’ (feeling over scrutinising) so this was particularly well matched for me.

Really good! Better than the original, IMO, as it added more dynamics.

Some of the film was supperrrr cringe with the actions of the lead girl, which is what it was supposed to be, but I was curled up in my chair!

I’m also an anxiety god so I was having a good chuckle with my wife:

”Anxiety knows what it’s doing!! Look at it go!! :D

Then when the core belief became ‘I’m not good enough’ it was like… yup, sounds about right :(

I like how low key and ‘insignificant’ the events of the film were, from an everyday life perspective. Everything can feel like a tornado in the moment.

Some good laughs too. Would definitely recommend. Your mileage may vary depending on how much you take to Pixar laying in on thick / how much you endure the twee-er moments… but in respect of recent efforts this is definitely one of the best.

8.5/10

Soldato
OP
Oh wow, in 7 days this has made about $500m at the global Box Office and its looking like it'll probably hit $750m at this rate!

Soldato
Oh wow, in 7 days this has made about $500m at the global Box Office and its looking like it'll probably hit $750m at this rate!

You see what happens when you don't pander and just make a good movie? But I bet Disney is going to learn alllll the wrong lessons on this.

Soldato
OP
I heard it isn’t that good.

It's getting both great critic reviews (always debatable how worthless that is any more TBH) and also high audience reviews too (91% & 96% respectively) and, from what I've seen online, no-one really seems to have any great problem with it. Obvious its not universal, and some folks won't like it, but they seem to be in the tiniest minority so far.

I help out at a local 50-seat cinema for military members/families so I'll be acting as projectionist for this at some point as we've just bought it and I'm interested in watching it even though its nothing like my usual film choices.

Last edited:
Soldato
Billion dollars.

IMG-3322.webp

Back
Top Bottom