Insignia electronic handbrake

Soldato
Had a test drive of a 15 plate ecoflex sri today, nice inside and nice to drive but I didn't like the electronic handbrake.

I pulled up on a step hill (facing downhill) and I wanted to reverse a little, I would normally get the bite using the clutch/accelerator then release the handbrake. The problem is the handbrake gets automatically released once in gear and the accelerator pressed.

So I ended up rolling forward a bit, can the auto release be disabled?

cheers

Caporegime
Even if it could, what would you do then? You'd need your foot on the brake to disengage the handbrake, leaving you in the situation of needing three feet.

The handbrake should only auto release when you've hit the biting point anyway, not just in the use of throttle. Find the biting point first (feel when the engine begins to labour) then apply throttle. The handbrake will release and you'll move backwards.

Soldato
Not a fan of electronic handbrakes. Tend to turn autohold off on the Tiguan, as I find it annoying - in particular when inching forward on downhill starts.

Gives you space for an extra large cupholder, though. So that's progress, I guess.

Man of Honour
Not a fan of electronic handbrakes. Tend to turn autohold off on the Tiguan, as I find it annoying - in particular when inching forward on downhill starts.

Gives you space for an extra large cupholder, though. So that's progress, I guess.

The problem is manual gearboxes not electronic handbrakes.

Don
He means that electronic handbrakes on automatics are absolutely fine. It's only when you add a manual gearbox in to the mix that they become problematic.
An electronic brake in a manual makes absolutely no sense at all. It does nothing to enhance the use of the car but adds plenty of issues. I've never managed to do a smooth hill-start in a manual car with an electronic handbrake.

Soldato
The electric handbrake in the Astra was useless so I can't see the insignia being much different.

Perhaps other brands have better systems but I don't see how they can ever be as good as a manual handbrake, you just don't get that progressive feel and quick response that you have from a lever.

Soldato
Imagine trying to reverse parallel park into a small gap on a downhill slope. Pretty much impossible.

Dumb idea really, cannoit see the point at all.

But even worse, those foot pedal/dash board release parking brakes (EG Kia Sedona)

If you are trying to manoeuvre on a hill it is almost impossible not to roll,

If you are holding the car at the biting point, you have to switch your left foot from the clutch to the parking brake in order to engage it. You cannot do this while still in gear. so first you have to quickly switch your right foot from the Gas to the foot brake without rolling or stalling the engine.

Horrible designy, I am surprised it is even legal

The problem is manual gearboxes not electronic handbrakes.

This is true, particularly with the kia system. (This system was always common on big autos, particularly in the US where it actually works fine. But with a manual it is horrible and positively dangerous)

So why are conventional handbrakes not standard with the manual option???

Caporegime
He means that electronic handbrakes on automatics are absolutely fine. It's only when you add a manual gearbox in to the mix that they become problematic.
An electronic brake in a manual makes absolutely no sense at all. It does nothing to enhance the use of the car but adds plenty of issues. I've never managed to do a smooth hill-start in a manual car with an electronic handbrake.

You must have only driven cruddy cars then, no issues at all with my A6 or A4 that both had a manual box and an automatic handbrake.

Man of Honour
You must have only driven cruddy cars then, no issues at all with my A6 or A4 that both had a manual box and an automatic handbrake.

Both fitted with hill start assist.

For reasons known only to themselves BMW omitted hill start assist from 4 cylinder Z4s so the electronic handbrake is tricky to operate for hill starts. By contrast the 6 cylinder is a breeze.

Man of Honour
Perhaps, but it completely disproves your laughable comment about electronic handbrakes and manuals.

Not really. Without hill hold some circumstances can be a faff with a manual box and an electronic handbrake. Obviously not for a skilled driving hero such as yourself, but for most other people it can be.

Man of Honour
Yeah those times where you need to be able to use a clutch AND a throttle are really tricky.

On a particularly steep hill jumping off the foot brake onto a perfectly balanced clutch can be more tricky than a flat road or a slight gradient. Especially if reverse parking. In these fairly rare circumstances most would use the analogue nature of a conventional handbrake to provide a little more control.

If this wasn't the case nobody would have bothered to invent hill start assist.

For me this is the only circumstance when the electronic handbrake can be inferior.

Back
Top Bottom