Install tips for h100i v2

Soldato
Bagged one of these for £48 in a closing down sale of a big hight Street electronics store.

Performance doesn't seem quite as good as my old noctua, so was wondering how I should have it setup.

I currently have it in the roof of my case with the fans underneath blowing up through the radiator and out of the case.

Caporegime
Surely air from outside blowing over it. Otherwise your blowing hot air over the rad?

But your Noctua will probably be a better cooler regardless.

Soldato
Using a CLC radiator as intake might lower CPU temps but it's often at the expense of other components running hotter. It's simple logic really. The heated air from radiator is what other components get to cool with instead of cooler air from intakes in front of case if radiator is exhaust. I'll assume your Dark Base 900 Pro case fans are in stock positions. What is their temp to fan curve speeds now compared to H100?

As Ivan Dobskey said, assuming your Noctua is D14, D15 or U14S it should cool as well or better with less noise than H100i will.. in fact probably better than most any CLC will.

Soldato
OP
Maybe noctua is the d14, had it for years and it's served me very well. I just thought now I have a glass panel on my new case, the h100i V2 would give me a cleaner look and cool to a similar standard. It seems very quiet though, no noisier than the air cooler really.

I couldn't resist at £48 though :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I can understand the desire to try one at a low price Only twin tower Noctua are NH-D14 , NH-D15 and NH-D15S and they came out in that order. D14 has a 120mm on front and 140mm in middle. D15 has 2x 140mm, and D15S has 1x 140mm with base offset for better PCIe socket clearance.

If D14 had been installed for more than 3-4 years R&R with new TIM usually give 2-4c better cooling. That and if in dirty/smoker enviroment givng it a good cleaning (washing in hot soapy water) and good drying with the new TIM give another 2-3c lower temps. NH-D14 is very good cooler even today. With same fans as D15 it is easily as good if not a little better. If I had one I would not get rid of if, especially if using a CLC. A mate and I did testing of D14 with TY-143 2500rpm 130cfm fans and lowered the temps on i7 920 @ 4.2GHz by about 8c than with fans at 1200rpm (similar to stock fans) Would rather own a D14 than D15. It's nice to show off a 7 year old cooler cooling as good or better than anything else on the market. :D
LL

Associate
Bagged one of these for £48 in a closing down sale of a big hight Street electronics store.

Performance doesn't seem quite as good as my old noctua, so was wondering how I should have it setup.

I currently have it in the roof of my case with the fans underneath blowing up through the radiator and out of the case.

put it as in intake as you'll just be using the warm air from inside the case other wise. However, the H100iV2 isn't a particularly good AIO cooler while the fans are pretty noisy. It all depends on what you want from your cooler.

Soldato
OP
put it as in intake as you'll just be using the warm air from inside the case other wise. However, the H100iV2 isn't a particularly good AIO cooler while the fans are pretty noisy. It all depends on what you want from your cooler.

Seems pretty quiet so far. But my case has soundproofing, so I guess that helps.

If you set the fans to intake, surely the air will be heated by the radiator and end up in the case?

Associate
Seems pretty quiet so far. But my case has soundproofing, so I guess that helps.

If you set the fans to intake, surely the air will be heated by the radiator and end up in the case?

it will raise the temp of your GPU slightly but your CPU will be cooler. both my GPU and CPU and watercooled with AIO's. my GPU hovers around 44-45 with my low fan curve and the CPU is around 40C while gaming. CPU hits around 55C when rendering my videos.

Soldato
OP
it will raise the temp of your GPU slightly but your CPU will be cooler. both my GPU and CPU and watercooled with AIO's. my GPU hovers around 44-45 with my low fan curve and the CPU is around 40C while gaming. Hits around 55C when rendering my videos.

Thanks for the feedback :)

When I get some time, I will switch the fans round to intake.

CPU us definitely running a little on the warm side in its current configuration.

Soldato
OP
To be honest, I didn't get much time to play with it over the weekend. I spent a couple of hours installing it, which was longer than I expected. The Mrs was getting a bit wittery, so I left it alone for now :p

Going to have a proper play tomorrow I think.

Back
Top Bottom