Installed new graphics card and Ubuntu no longer works

Associate
OP
thanks ikapod - will try that when i get things working again

in the meantime i have a very basic problem

i want to change my xorg.conf file to read vesa instead of nvidia - previously as una advised i just used nano during bootup - however its now telling me i don't have permission to write to the file - whats the console command to do this (assuming there is one)

when i get my gui back i was just going to try and use synaptic to reinstall the (old) nvidia drivers and worry about the newer ones at a later date - maybe synapic will have them when Dapper is released?

a bit off topic - i have tried the Dapper Live CD (beta) and it would boot - its failing to mount any drives quite early in the boot process - but i'll find another forum to post about that

thanks

Diss

Associate
Diss said:
i want to change my xorg.conf file to read vesa instead of nvidia - previously as una advised i just used nano during bootup - however its now telling me i don't have permission to write to the file - whats the console command to do this (assuming there is one)

Need to run it as sudo. So it will be: sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Also as far as I'm aware, 7600 and 7900 cards are only properly supported under the Linux NVidia driver 87.56 - it probably won't work with older drivers since the older drivers won't recognise the card. So it will need to vesa until Ubuntu updater the Nvidia drive in the Dapper repos or you'll need to use the latest drivers from Nvidia.

EDIT: The latest drivers (87.56) are available in Dapper - just saw it in the Synaptic list.

Associate
OP
thanks Dunky

now if only i can get Dapper to work :) - i'll check out the Ubuntu forums and see if anyone else is having similar problems

cheers

Diss

Associate
OP
I have now updated to Dapper beta and used that to install the latest Nvidia drivers and linux now recognises my 7999GT :)

I would like to finish this thread with a big thankyou to all who helped me out - i would have given up on Linux long ago if it wasn't for all the help i have received on this forum.

Many thanks

Diss

Back
Top Bottom