Installing a network printer on a small network connected to a server running Server2019

Associate
Hi,

looking at installing a network printer in a small office with 12 desktop computers connected to a Server running Server 2019.

Can I connect the printer to the network port and install on each computer as required or should I be doing it through the desktop running server 2019?

Not 100% sure but i'm thinking they are connected using active directory.

Associate
OP
Plug the printer into the network
Install printer on server 2019
Share printer from server 2019
Install on all machines from server 2019 print share

Pressume it has to be done through the server then?

I am aware they want to slowly get rid of the server as they are using the cloud to store files now.

Just wondering if I installed on each machine individually would there be an issue as they are signing in with there accounts connected to the domain?

On the other hand I was thinking GPO would be easier.

Last edited:
Associate
Pressume it has to be done through the server then?

I am aware they want to slowly get rid of the server as they are using the cloud to store files now.

Just wondering if I installed on each machine individually would there be an issue as they are signing in with there accounts connected to the domain?

On the other hand I was thinking GPO would be easier.

Through the server is the best way. But If they are planning on removing the server at some point, that will obviously become an issue.

I bought a cheap HP printer for home use the other day, and that offers cloud printing as a paid service through the printer, obviously that will depend on what printer you have and how new it is. There might be a service available that works with most printers, but it's not something I've looked into.

GPO is going to be the best option for installing it for them.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Through the server is the best way. But If they are planning on removing the server at some point, that will obviously become an issue.

I bought a cheap HP printer for home use the other day, and that offers cloud printing as a paid service through the printer, obviously that will depend on what printer you have and how new it is. There might be a service available that works with most printers, but it's not something I've looked into.

GPO is going to be the best option for installing it for them.

Thanks D-Ranged.

Other option could be give the printer a static IP and install using that on the machines?

Associate
OP
No problem.

You can do that, but you'd need to have the driver handy for every machine you install it on. It will be a slower process.

But, once it's done, it's done. Just gives you less "manageability"

Thank you.

Will double check how many machines they need to access the printer from (may not need to from all 12 desktops).

Associate
Did you mentioned Active Directory..???
That means Domain Controller and users in centralized management.
I would suggest looking into how they are inter-connected with that first - and then go with network printer on server, shared, and all users just connecting to it via shared name as previous members suggested :)

Caporegime
If you are planning on removing the on-prem server in favour of going cloud-based (assuming not a lift and shift to Azure/AWS), you could always install a small device like an RPi and set up CUPS. Then you still have centralised print management, but no reliance on the S2019 box.

Back
Top Bottom