Installing a new Mobo

Associate
Any tips ? I've bought the B450 Tomahawk Max. Never done a mobo before but i've done plenty of research.
I did the PSU and the Cooler not long ago , so thought i'd upgrade the mobo too

Is it ok to install the CPU cooler whilst it's outside the case as it would make it much easier for me to screw it in. ( Last time i installed my CPU Cooler it was tricky doing it in the case )

i've looked at some tutorials and the ram slot closest to the heatsink looks quite close. Would it be best to install the ram first then, before the cooler ?

Last edited:
Soldato
Any tips ? I've bought the B450 Tomahawk Max. Never done a mobo before but i've done plenty of research.
I did the PSU and the Cooler not long ago , so thought i'd upgrade the mobo too

Is it ok to install the CPU cooler whilst it's outside the case as it would make it much easier for me to screw it in. ( Last time i installed my CPU Cooler it was tricky doing it in the case )

i've looked at some tutorials and the ram slot closest to the heatsink looks quite close. Would it be best to install the ram first then, before the cooler ?
The ram slot you need is 2nd one A2 slot unless your useing 4 sticks of ram what cooler is it

Associate

Yes, install the ram first, whilst the MB is out of the case. That way you will be able to see if it impedes/interferes with your cpu cooler.

You can also do this and then fit the whole assembly into the case as long as nothing is obstructing access to the motherboard fixing holes.

Soldato
Oh ok then your using all 4 slots you can put ram In first and put cooler on outside of case just make sure you can get to every screw hole in motherboard to secure it into the case

Associate
OP
You'll need those cables if you have or plan to fit regular 2.5/3.5 inch hard drives or SSDs into your system.

I have an SSD and HDD already which have cables connected to the mobo.

Also. I heard it's best to not mix ram sizes?
I currently use 2x8GB.
however I was planning to use 2x8GB and 2x4GB

Soldato
The only tip I can give you is make sure you fit the rear IO panel back plate to the case, if it's separate! (My last two board haves been integrated)

It's soul destroying when you finish the build, or make significant progress and then you realise you missed the backplate!

Associate
OP
Yeah the back panel from what I can see is joined onto the mobo

The silver thing which houses the usb connection etc I have already installed

Associate
I have an SSD and HDD already which have cables connected to the mobo.

In that case, you could reuse the ones you already have connected and keep those new ones as spares :)

Also. I heard it's best to not mix ram sizes?
I currently use 2x8GB.

Mixing the ram sizes or types isn't optimal and in some case won't work but you won't harm anything by trying to use what you have available.

Back
Top Bottom