Installing and Upgrading Windows 8

Associate
This is taken from another post I had in the general hardware which I thought would be better here.

1)If I was to build from scratch needing an os I have an old mesh computer with a xp serial stuck to it, so could I possibly get a windows upgrade for cheaper than buying a new os? I don't have a window xp cd though.

2) If you get an upgrade from previous os e.g. the Windows 8 upgrade cd instead of the standard how do you install windows 8 onto a clean hard drive?

Soldato
This is taken from another post I had in the general hardware which I thought would be better here.

1)If I was to build from scratch needing an os I have an old mesh computer with a xp serial stuck to it, so could I possibly get a windows upgrade for cheaper than buying a new os? I don't have a window xp cd though.

2) If you get an upgrade from previous os e.g. the Windows 8 upgrade cd instead of the standard how do you install windows 8 onto a clean hard drive?

XP to Win8/8.1 will have to be a clean install anyway,best bet is get an OEM(which is Win8.1 version of retail) here http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SW-165-MS&groupid=33&catid=1555 ,under £75 quid so quite cheap.

Clean install normally is boot with DVD OS in PC and follow OS install instructions.

Will I be able to keep my files, settings, and apps?

If you start (boot) your PC from installation media that you created when you downloaded the ISO, such as a DVD or USB flash drive, you won't be able to keep your apps, Windows settings, or personal files when you install Windows 8.1.

This table shows what you can keep when you update, depending on the version of Windows you currently have running on your PC. To verify which version of Windows you have now, see Which Windows operating system am I running?

Windows XP
Nothing—you must boot from media and perform a clean installation

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/upgrade-to-windows-8

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom