Installing Linux

SBK

SBK

Associate
I have attempted to install Linux on a laptop, the installation seemed to go well and I had presumed all was good. However the computer just boots straight back into windows .

How do I check it is on the hard drive and what should I do next ?

Disk manager accessed from windows only shows one boot partition ??

SBK

SBK

Associate
OP
The 'live' version worked well and I went on to installing the whole thing alongside Windows. I went through the whole process, 20+ minutes, entering username and password - I even watched it install Grub...

It must have went somewhere - LOL

SBK

SBK

Associate
OP
Details would help,

Distro ?
SSD, NVME ?
UEFI/Legacy ?

Is there no grub splash first prior to the os being booted ?
Linux Mint
tradition hard drive
UEFI

Grub doesn't appear, it just defaults to windows. Looking at the disk drive through windows, I think a new partition was created (not 100% certain) but nothing to suggest linux is in any of the partitions.

Can't find anything in boot/bios.

I am sure it has all installed but can't find any evidence of it. may be I an going insane.

may be I should just install it again ?

oap

oap

Associate
You will not be able to see the linux partition from windows, check your boot options in bios, you may have to change a couple of settings.
Google search will be your new friend. :)

Associate
You will not be able to see the linux partition from windows, check your boot options in bios, you may have to change a couple of settings.
Google search will be your new friend. :)
Not directly, but Disk Manager (run DiskMgmt.msc) will show all partition and it knows the Windows types, so you can deduce whether a partition has been created:
ijKNeDF.png
The above shows Windows installed with the first partiton (549MB, NTFS) being the hidden (well it doesn't get a drive letter by default) boot partition, the 449.72GB NTFS drive being Windows on Drive C:, the 516MB part is meant to be a recovery partition but it's got no space, and finally the 15GB is a basic Linux partition.
If DiskManager only shows the first two or three, nothing was written to the drive.

Back
Top Bottom