Installing Sim City 4

Soldato
Not sure whether this should be in here or software - but move if necessary.

I thought I would have a crack at the ol' Sim City 4 - because I'm beginning to get tired of the FPS range I have at my disposal.

But it's just not playing fair ball.

I stuck the disc in, nothing. Assumed there was no autorun on it or whatever so double clicked the icon on the disc and still nothing. Fear not, explore and click the setup.exe - always works a treat when this happens.

Instead there's a RunGame application that simply doesn't work. And the rest is data files for the game.

I've tried to go through 'run' and double clicking on it - but still nothing.

Nothing appears in the Task Manager under Applications or Processes. I've also re-started the comp and tried the cd in both disc drives.

Any advice, other than throw away the rubbish game?

Cheers.

Soldato
OP
HangTime said:
Tried cleaning the disk?
Maybe copy all files to hd, see if you get any CRC errors and if not run from there?

Tried both of those. No problems with the disc and it copied over without problems.

I also ran a read test on the disc and it is 100% fine.

Tried to launch the application through the Task Manager and nothing that way either.

The game ran on my last computer flawlessly and I've just decided to install it onto my new one today. And no go.

No problems with any other games I've installed on this comp (Halo, BF2, COD, COD2, CM 01/02, FM 2005, FM 2006)

Soldato
Running XP?

Could try holding shift and right clicking the setup.exe and using "run as" to make it run as the system administrator or another admin account.

Also have you tried installing it in safe mode?

Good luck!

Soldato
OP
I am indeed running XP. Tried the 'Run as' as well. Nothing happening.

Safe mode I haven't tried yet - worth a pop I suppose.

Cheers for the good luck, I'm suspecting I'll need it.

Soldato
OP
Can't try Safe Mode because my keyboard isn't detected at strange times.

I can activate the safe boot (etc) options but can't move up or down to select 'Safe Mode/Boot'

I tried going through MSCONFIG and setting the safe boot up that way - but it's becoming unstable when I select to option to safeboot.

Gotta love Microsoft. :D

*****Edit*****

Had to change the keyboard over to get into safe boot - but got in anyway and still nothing. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom