Installing Windows 7 32 bit on a Ryzen based system?

Associate
Hi guys a quick question which someone might be able to clear up!

I run a dual boot system ( Win 10 64 bit & Win 7 32 bit) on my Phenom 11 x 4 system and it all works flawlessly.
However, I intend to upgrade to a Ryzen 2600 based system but have held off pulling the trigger on buying them as I've read of there being issues with the installation of Windows 7 (64 bit) with Ryzen architecture not supporting required USB keyboard instructions during installation.

I only have Windows 7 32 bit, but it allows me to run quite important to me, legacy software and equipment for which there are no Windows 10 drivers and it runs everything fine and Windows 10 is reserved mostly for gaming.

I'd presume that using an old PS2 mouse and keyboard would overcome the 'alleged' installation issues of the modern Ryzen architecture not supporting USB keyboard functions during installation and downloading essential updates?

It's also unclear from what I've read, as to whether or not the issues are confined to Windows 7 64 bit and/or whether or not the issues arise only with the later '2000' series chips and mobos and not the '1000' series!
I have my original genuine copy of Windows 7 32 bit installation disk and while no one installs 32 bit OSs from scratch these days, I see no need to upgrade to 64 bit as Win 7 32 bit runs my legacy software and provides drivers for all the kit I have so I wouldn't waste money on upgrading to Win 7 64 bit in any case!

So can anyone shed some light on this issue ( if there is one) as I want to resolve any anticipated issues before I begin upgrading my system.
Thanks in advance.

I have my original genuine copy of Windows 7 32 bit installation disk and while no one installs 32 bit OSs from scratch these days, I see no need to upgrade to 64 bit as Win 7 32 bit runs my legacy software and provides drivers for all the kit I have so I wouldn't waste money on upgrading to Win 7 64 bit in any case!

You can use your Windows 32 bit key on a 64 bit install disc/iso so would not have to spend any money on doing this. This is also the first I have heard about Windows 7 issues with Ryzen (not that I have any first hand experience with this).

Soldato
The problem with installing newer hardware on Windows 7 is indeed around getting the installer to play nice with newer hardware. The standard Windows 7 ISO never came with USB3 or NVMe support so both of those will have to either be circumvented (use PS2 or USB2 ports, use a SATA drive to install) or the drivers for the hardware will need to be slipstreamed into the installer (you will want to google how to do this for your particular motherboard).

Soldato
Assuming what you're doing isn't GPU intensive, have you considered virtualising your legacy Windows 7 install so that you don't have to worry about compatibility with newer hardware?

You can use free software like VirtualBox to create your Windows 7 VM and then configure USB passthrough to attach any physical devices you're using to the VM.

Associate
OP
You can use your Windows 32 bit key on a 64 bit install disc/iso so would not have to spend any money on doing this. This is also the first I have heard about Windows 7 issues with Ryzen (not that I have any first hand experience with this).
Cheers for that...I'll download the 64 bit ISO file and work it from there or create a disk for when I upgrade.
Apparently there are issues with installing Windows 7 so I just want to resolve those before upgrading as I'd prefer not to have two computers do the job when one will do and I hate computers with issues
My current gear may be old but it's never once given me any stress or issues since I built it in 2011 and other than a failed HDD, it's never ever let me down and best of all, with a decent GPU I can still play many modern popular games but it's time to move on and upgrade.:)

Back
Top Bottom