• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Installion of CPU

Soldato
Hello,

I'm in the middle of installing an upgrade. I've attached the frame for the Noctua NH-U12F heatsink and put my Intel C2D E6600 on to my motherboard after cleaning and applying AS5 as described in the AS5 instructions (thin, striaght line down the middle).

However, after installing my CPU to my motherboard, here came the tricky bit - putting that large heatsink on my CPU/it's frame while screwing it down. When doing this the heatsink slid slightly in pretty much all directions. I know your meant to twist the heatsink to move the AS5 around a bit, but have I over done it? Do you think I should take the heatsink off, clean it and CPU then reapply the AS5 or should I be ok?

Just for note, I cleaned the CPU using AS Cleaner Stage 2, as the AS Cleaner manual told me.

Soldato
I remember when I used to really fuss'n'stress over the whole TIM application, but its a stage you want to get past quickly. Main thing is you don't want too much goo, some prefere to spread, others prefere to lay a grain of rice.

If the goo is slightly conductive (i.e lots of silver) you must make absolutely sure you don't get it on any contacts where it could cause a short-circuit!

Associate
Same CPU, same cooler, same problem getting those two sprung screws in place and I thought the same thing :D however both cores idling at 32c at stock speed so I guess it did no harm.

Back
Top Bottom