Instant Messengers

Man of Honour
I'm sick of Skype being an ass and messing with my sound and microphone settings.

I have heard of e.g. Trillian but are there others out there? Ideally it would be able to import my contacts from both Skype and Windows Live Messenger and have the ability such that it can find my hardware and allow me to webcam/chat to my contacts.

It would be nice if it could be unified too, though last time I checked Skype still had to be running.

Soldato
Get pidgin and the skype lib dec plugin should get you going well. One program that can sign into most IM's under the sun :)

I'd also look at Digsby but thats not as mature, and probably wont support skype, but has even more potential over Pidgin...

Soldato
Ah damn :( I haven't checked myself just assumed it wouldn't

Tbh i'd suggest you just dump skype altogether, its their annoying proprietary crap thats holding you back, every other IM is supported! It's unfortunately the one IM you decided to stick with is the worst of them all :p

Man of Honour
OP
That's the trouble, when it first came out other messengers didn't have the ability to send voice and webcams etc., so it was what I suggested to my sister in the USA so we could talk for free.

She's just had a kid so I don't think either of them are in the mood for faffing about (not tech savy) uninstalling and installing programs atm.

Now Windows Live Messenger can do it I'll try get them to install it I suppose..

Man of Honour
OP
Just going to bump this. Had another look at pidgin, and it doesn't appear to support webcame and voice (yet) in the way that MSN handles it.

I do like the games on MSN but am happy to boot it up should I wanna play.

Back
Top Bottom