Insulating a garage

Soldato
I have some home gym in the garage and the cold has been difficult to motivate me over the winter so I am interested in putting in some insulation to help retain some of the heat. From the few videos I have seen online it looks like I can probably manage it.

The garage is connected to next doors garage. The end has brick, then a gap, then breeze blocks. I assume the same is for the sides.

1. Create a partition wooden frame, double the thickness of the insultation (Not picked yet).
2. Attach a vapor barrier to the back of the frame and underneath all areas touching the floor/walls.
3. put the insulation in the frame
4. Cover the insulation with either plasterboard or wood/board

This is the first job, then repeat for the roof/ceiling

Sound correct? Happy to be educated ;)

Thanks in advance

SPG

SPG

Soldato
If you have a double skin wall, it might be worth getting a quote for cavity wall, and then just some thermal plasterboard.

Soldato
unlikely the garage would be built with a cavity all the way round unless it's attached to the house.

What you've suggested is possible, i'd go down the celotex/pir route and just tape the edges, no need for vapour barrier then.

Whats your garage door like as this will be the next piece of the puzzle and will be leaking heat once you do the walls and ceiling. Also whats your plan to heat the space as if you're just hoping to retain the heat from your body during workouts dont expect it to ever be warm.

Soldato
OP
unlikely the garage would be built with a cavity all the way round unless it's attached to the house.

What you've suggested is possible, i'd go down the celotex/pir route and just tape the edges, no need for vapour barrier then.

Whats your garage door like as this will be the next piece of the puzzle and will be leaking heat once you do the walls and ceiling. Also whats your plan to heat the space as if you're just hoping to retain the heat from your body during workouts dont expect it to ever be warm.
I have done the garage door from top to bottom in the insulation foil. Put a draft excluder at the bottom, it shuts out the light, so much better than before.

It is attached to the house and then someone elses garage on the other side. So I am guessing there is a cavity on three sides. No insulation in there from what I can see.

Can you elaborate on the celltex/pir route? I am googling and youtubing all this :p

Bit question I have is about ventilation. If I did the roof/ceiling should there be no gaps, or does some air need to get in?

Soldato
OP
Celltex pir googled. So basically create a wooden frame with no gap and put the celltex in the gaps?

Sounds a lot easier. Will this cause any issues with condensation?

Soldato
Celltex pir googled. So basically create a wooden frame with no gap and put the celltex in the gaps?

Sounds a lot easier. Will this cause any issues with condensation?
Glue the PIR to the wall using spray-on foam glue, and then put your wood battens in front. This means that you are totally enclosed in insulation then. PIR is covered in a layer of silver tape so it is already a vapour barrier and will keep moisture on the other side.

^ I couldn't find a better in progress pic but you can see left hand side the PIR on the wall and then the batten on top.

Soldato
OP
Glue the PIR to the wall using spray-on foam glue, and then put your wood battens in front. This means that you are totally enclosed in insulation then. PIR is covered in a layer of silver tape so it is already a vapour barrier and will keep moisture on the other side.

^ I couldn't find a better in progress pic but you can see left hand side the PIR on the wall and then the batten on top.
Thank you. Then put board in front of it?

Soldato
No random gaps for ventiliation. If you really need it, fit a heat recovery fan (Gosforth did a video on these) or some other kind of PIV system. Won't you want some kind of AC?

Remember insulation maintains temp like a thermos so it'll keep whatever is inside hot or cold. Any heat generated in it, will stay in it.

Soldato
OP
No random gaps for ventiliation. If you really need it, fit a heat recovery fan (Gosforth did a video on these) or some other kind of PIV system. Won't you want some kind of AC?

Remember insulation maintains temp like a thermos so it'll keep whatever is inside hot or cold. Any heat generated in it, will stay in it.
Thanks, will have a look for that. Its main use will be a home gym. Too hot open door. Too cold I have a small fan heater.

But will have a search Gosforth video. Thanks again.

Soldato
I’ve just done mine in the last few weeks.

Frame ceiling out first, if it hasn’t already, you’ll get away with using glasswool/rockwool etc use the smaller sheets for the ceiling don’t use the 2400x1200 they’re a nightmare to lift above your head.

Once ceiling is done, get DPC and staple it to the back of your rough sawn timber battens, you don’t need anything fancy. Don’t get CLS etc

Get a box or two of concrete screws and frame those walls out. Get Insulated plasterboard and screw it to the timber.

Job done.

If you don’t have a collated screwgun, get one. You’ll need 50mm screws for it to go through the 37.5mm PIR plasterboard. It’ll also be a life saver if you need to do the ceiling.

Soldato
I've converted half our double garage into a music/cinema room and used celotex on the walls and under the floating floor, nothing on the ceiling (fibreglass in roof space) 1 radiator in there and it's now the warmest room in the house :)

Back
Top Bottom