Insulating between floors?

Associate
I am about to start converting our 2 bedroom house into a 3 bedroom house. Whilst I am doing this was wondering if it would be worth putting some insulation between the floors?

Associate
Definitely helped with noise when we did ours, you'll never completely eradicate it, but the benefit was worth the time/effort and it certainly wasn't expensive. I sealed the boards once insulation was done, very thin rubber underlay on top of the boards and then ply on top, 10mm underlay then carpet.

Soldato
Heat rises.
Yeah i find upstairs is 3-5c hotter than downstairs, so if you feel draughty downstairs you can't go throwing the heating on without heating the upstairs even more, and our kids are asleep after 7-8 so it would be too hot probably.

I'd love to insulate downstairs but with old coving and lath and plaster its not happening.

Soldato
I'd love to insulate downstairs but with old coving and lath and plaster its not happening.

Hasn't stopped me... We're on our 6th room :eek:

NZOGxex.jpeg

And yeah, we put sound proofing between the floors and walls for room (although don't have a picture with it all in)
kleOBZk.jpeg

Soldato
Nice, what have you put in behind the plaster Roy?

On outside walls i've got celotex board, all taped up, to make sure there's an air gap for the sandstone to "breathe". Then duplex board on top of that to deal with any potential moisture. Inside walls and ceiling is rockwool sound insulation then acoustic board on regular walls (not the crazy thick, 3 layered stuff, just higher density), and then fire rated board on that left wall in the second picture because has a steal beam at the top.

Oh, and I use acoustic sealant between boards on inside walls cause I'm a bit pedantic... :rolleyes:

Soldato
On outside walls i've got celotex board, all taped up, to make sure there's an air gap for the sandstone to "breathe". Then duplex board on top of that to deal with any potential moisture. Inside walls and ceiling is rockwool sound insulation then acoustic board on regular walls (not the crazy thick, 3 layered stuff, just higher density), and then fire rated board on that left wall in the second picture because has a steal beam at the top.

Oh, and I use acoustic sealant between boards on inside walls cause I'm a bit pedantic... :rolleyes:

How's the difference in general warmth?

Soldato
How's the difference in general warmth?

I'm actually near Dundee myself, and all I would say is "don't forget to do something with the floors". Obviously it doesn't help having a suspended floors with no insulation underneath, so in the rooms where we've got exposed wooden floors the rooms can feel chilly if your feet are touching something cold. In the rooms with carpet, or where we've put laminate on top of a insulation it's much better.

The better comparison is probably the upstairs bedrooms where we've done one room and not started on the other two. So we've got like for like to compare.

In the new bedroom the radiator stays on "2" and feels comfortable in both hot and cold weather with the window closed. If the heating is off I usually don't even notice because the room will hold the heat.

The other bedrooms the radiators are on 5 in the winter. When the heating goes off you can start to feel cold in the air in about 20 minutes and I check my phone and see that yes, the heating has turned off... Then, in the summer, we sleep with the windows open cause the room gets too hot.

It's a lot of work though. I'm only doing work on the house at the weekends and it's easily a 4 day job just to gut everything and get rid of it all.

Soldato
I'm actually near Dundee myself, and all I would say is "don't forget to do something with the floors". Obviously it doesn't help having a suspended floors with no insulation underneath, so in the rooms where we've got exposed wooden floors the rooms can feel chilly if your feet are touching something cold. In the rooms with carpet, or where we've put laminate on top of a insulation it's much better.

The better comparison is probably the upstairs bedrooms where we've done one room and not started on the other two. So we've got like for like to compare.

In the new bedroom the radiator stays on "2" and feels comfortable in both hot and cold weather with the window closed. If the heating is off I usually don't even notice because the room will hold the heat.

The other bedrooms the radiators are on 5 in the winter. When the heating goes off you can start to feel cold in the air in about 20 minutes and I check my phone and see that yes, the heating has turned off... Then, in the summer, we sleep with the windows open cause the room gets too hot.

It's a lot of work though. I'm only doing work on the house at the weekends and it's easily a 4 day job just to gut everything and get rid of it all.

Sounds very much the same as my house, apart from i'm on the South Coast :S I'm planning to do some underfloor insulation downstairs with 50mm celotex that i'm going to have leftover, probably just on the carpeted rooms which will be easier to clear, as I don't think i'll be that bothered about laminate hardwood stuff in the kitchen.

Soldato
I actually put about 60-70m2 of sheeps wool under the ground floor which is suspended timber. Wish i went with 200mm thickness rather than 100mm though. I think its improved it.

Associate
I will echo that's its absolutely worth it, both for sound and insulation

I like to keep all my rooms a different temperatures and its usually the lowest room I want the warmest, the bedroom cooler, and the loft is set to 15 degrees if not it use.

I put 200mm rock wool under my suspended ground floors but then I've got really easy access.

@RoyMi6 I'm just about to have my master bedroom (7.5 x 4.5m) taken back to bare brick and insulated on every aspect, including some hefty sound insulation on the party wall (mutebaord4) can't wait for the finished result

Back
Top Bottom