Insurance for the ring?

Soldato
Hi guys I'm thinking of visiting the nurburgring as it's only 3 hours away but I'm unsure what everyone does reguarding insurance?

I phoned my German insurer today and they said a big no I wouldn't be insured. My car is only 6 months old and worth around 20k so don't really wanna write it off and have to pay for it for the next few years.

I only want to go for a day.

Soldato
The old trick for people who binned it on the track was move the car a couple of miles down the road and report the accident there. But apparently they don't buy that so easily any more :D

I know Greenlight do track day cover.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I used to have track day cover on my GT3 but that came with many caveats and did not cover me for public days on the Ring if I remember correctly. They also come with fairly large excesses too so you need to be cognisant of that. I was there a few weeks back and I didn't have any insurance and chose to be cautious, more for people around me that me binning it frankly on a sunny dry track. If I had binned it or worse, had it binned by some local then it would have cost me big but it's all about risks and what you are happy to do or not do.

Soldato
There are insurers who will cover you for the ring, but it only covers the car itself (not any damage done to the track or any recovery costs), and it's pricey with huge excesses (~£2-3k). Last quote I had was ~£470 for a touristenfahrten day for my M135i with over £2k excess. /edit: just dug out the quote: £17,300 cover + £2,700 excess, and that doesn't include recovering the vehicle back to the UK if necessary either. Premium was a few pence over £470.

I personally prefer to drive at 8-9/10ths and not risk a big off. It's such an incredible place that frankly it's fun to drive round at totally normal speeds. I'm headed there this weekend.

Last edited:
Associate
Friend took his brand new Mini Cooper Works basically Ran it in on the way. Car was about 28K. Just as some have put it risked it. When you see people go screaming round in BMW's, Clio's, old stuff not a care taking the cars beyond their limits and hitting others it’s a worry.

You can go out your door and get hit granted but your insured. He had a total blast got some great pictures and appreciated what the Works was like on the limit came back with just a few little stone chips and that was it.

If it came down to it he could afford to get another car but Id never want to risk it with my own car. If you can hire a car yes but my own nope.

Soldato
hahahaha what a loser. Thought he was hamilton.

The Koenigsegg test driver that was attempting to set a Nordschleife lap record in a car with 1350bhp and RWD?

Yup. Total loser. Hamilton probably wouldn't have crashed. :rolleyes:

Insurance for the Nordschleife is generally very expensive and often comes with lots of caveats (Touristenfahrten often isn't included for example). Best thing is to just avoid crashing. Let the locals in 325i estates go past and avoid the bikers.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi guys I'm thinking of visiting the nurburgring as it's only 3 hours away but I'm unsure what everyone does reguarding insurance?

I phoned my German insurer today and they said a big no I wouldn't be insured. My car is only 6 months old and worth around 20k so don't really wanna write it off and have to pay for it for the next few years.

I only want to go for a day.

Don't worry about it, you'll probably do half a lap before the track will be closed after some fool bins it. An hour later it'll open again and 10 mins after that somebody will crash again and it'll be closed again.

Repeat

(that was my experience any way)

Back
Top Bottom