Insurance Question

Soldato
Hey guys,

Quick question..qhen I get my next car, I'm looking at doing a remap on the engine, I have done quotes on Go Compare and declaring the "chip / engine management" mod, the prices are OK, but what I want to know is..

On the website of a tuner near me, there are different "stages" for some cars, so, would it not mater weather it was S1 - S2 - S3?? Im guessing that the insurance say it generalised? i.e. same price and policy in any stage re-map??

Cheers.

Associate
Id say it's just generalised. When I declared the mods on the supra they didn't ask me what size turbo or how much nitrous.

On something like a remap, I can't see the insurance ever looking into it if the car was crashed. I doubt they be asking for the ECU to perform checks on it etc.

Soldato
OP
Right, so basically, if there was any insurance claims, the chance of it is slim?? I might not bother then, save a few quid, as a remap is the ONLY mod im doing..

Associate
Hey guys,

Quick question..qhen I get my next car, I'm looking at doing a remap on the engine, I have done quotes on Go Compare and declaring the "chip / engine management" mod, the prices are OK, but what I want to know is..

On the website of a tuner near me, there are different "stages" for some cars, so, would it not mater weather it was S1 - S2 - S3?? Im guessing that the insurance say it generalised? i.e. same price and policy in any stage re-map??

Cheers.

The thing to take into consideration is the "stages" consist of other hardware upgrades, so if you went stage 2 on a car it would be more than a remap you would need to declare, as stage 2 is normally exhaust and intercooler for example.

Stage 1 is normally just the remap, perhaps an air filter.

Stage 3 is normally a hybrid (or big) turbo on top of the other bolt on mods, and at that point depending on the car you'd have a massive power increase and most mainstream insurers on the comparison websites wouldn't touch you.

Admiral group do tend to be mod friendly but it's not like for like replacements, so if you crash you're covered but they wouldn't replace your parts with the same parts.

Back
Top Bottom