Insurance woes

Soldato
In the thrilling conclusion to this saga, I found out yesterday that Hastings did inspect the bike while they had it, after collecting from the Police. They've listed it as a CAT D with £3200 damages, despite the bike sitting with my mechanic just now being repaired for £390. They won't remove the write off.

So now I'm forced into making a claim, losing several years no claims, paying £450 excess and suffering drastically increased premiums for however many years.

They should never have even had my bike. Beyond angry.

Urgh, sounds like an nightmare. Also, £3200 and it's written off!? :( I guess I got lucky when I had my accident. I had £3376 worth of damage and they repaired it.
Saying that it was all cosmetic. Did they say that your frame is damaged or something or is it a write off because it's too expensive to repair?

Soldato
You can't go to the ombudsman without first giving Hastings a chance to rectify the matter following a formal complaint. I have been with Hastings for a number of years because they give a great service. Yes they have gotten things wrong for me in the past but when I have put in a complaint I have been listened to and the complaint taken seriously. Although the issue behind my complaint did not leave me out of pocket I was awarded some compensation to make up for the inconvenience. They are a big company and their staff have procedures to follow, it sounds in this case as if a member of staff made a mistake in initiating a claims process incorrectly, all calls are recorded and this will be provable if it is the case. The consequences of this have been serious for the OP but I think he needs to give Hastings a chance to put things right, which I am sure they will - https://www.hastingsdirect.com/about-us/customer-complaints.shtml

Back
Top Bottom