Insurance

Associate
Hi there, I passed my mod 2 back in august 09 9 days after my 18th birthday. I had various diffrent bikes until I passed my car test and then I sold them to fund my car insurance. I have one year no claims for bikes from then.

I am now looking to buy another bike my licence also being full power and not restricted to 33hp any more. I am thinking of various diffrent bikes

R6,
RSV Millie,
GSXR,
KTM's

any other ideas?

My main question is will my 1 year no claims still be valid from the year 09-10 as this has a major effect on my quotes 2k down to 500 on a rsv millie fully comp! I can't belive it makes such a diffrence!

Cheers Phil

Soldato
I'd go for the R6! Best looking bikes imo.

I've heard stories of people aged 21yrs with 1yr NCB getting R6 insured fully comp for £600ish.

Any particular budget you have for the bike?

Associate
Are you serious? On the basis that I am 24 with 3 yrs no claims and an ER6 and my insurance was 400, I really doubt you would get the R6 for 600.
More likely 800-1000 if its old and 1000+ if its 06 newer...

If you're looking, the cheapest I could find for our age bracket was Bikesure. The cheapest comparison site I could find was Gocompare (better than MCN, Bike insurer and Money supermarket).

Associate
OP
I am being serious, I can show quotes if I really had to. I am liking the rsv millie but I love R6 but I hear the gearboxes are not amazing? I have to around 3k to spend give or take.

Associate
I am being serious, I can show quotes if I really had to. I am liking the rsv millie but I love R6 but I hear the gearboxes are not amazing? I have to around 3k to spend give or take.

I was referring to Yarwood, what year is the Aprilia and how much are you paying for the bike?
Also you no claims are valid for 3 years from the date of expiry of your policy as far as I'm aware so you should be fine to use it.

Associate
I have a 2000 R6 and it cost me £450 last year for 3rd party F&T with 4 years no claims (I was 20 when I insured it), fully comp was £600-£700. The older bikes do suffer with gearbox issues, the 99-02 to be precise. The one I bought was on the way out when I got it, you couldn't shift from 1st to 2nd high in the revs and it got to the point where 2nd gear would slip if you opened the throttle and tried to use any power. I picked up a used 04 gearbox off the bay for £150 and got it fitted for another £150ish (I took the engine out). But yeah the gearbox on the older ones is quite clunky, can't speak for newer ones but with the 04 box it's a lovely bike to ride even if it's getting a bit worn as I commute on it each day ;)

Associate
OP
sounds very good! I was looking at rsv for £2500 but I am completely open to suggestions! I have ridden both before and enjoyed it but I am swaying towards the R6!

Associate
sounds very good! I was looking at rsv for £2500 but I am completely open to suggestions! I have ridden both before and enjoyed it but I am swaying towards the R6!

I've never ridden an Aprilia so can't comment but the R6 is a sweet bike to ride. Not sure how good the older ones are but the 06 one I've tried was pretty sweet.
I would still say get a Honda CBR but I'm biased...

Caporegime
an older g1/g2 zx6,simply fantastic bike!!!!!! 60,000 miles on mine and just a fuel pump its broken down from

currently riding 04 zx10 and the zx6 just feels/rides better

the older they are the cheaper it gets regarding insurance!!! ohh and 165mph ive seen on the clock on my 1998 zx6 so plenty of power

Soldato

Depends on what you want. The R6 will be harder work to keep on the boil, but that can be quite rewarding if you are in the right mood. Something like the RSV offers instant grunt virtually everywhere in the rev range and has tall gearing which makes longer trips far more relaxing than a 600cc engine screaming away at 70mph. The finish on those early R6's is not great however, there are a lot of very tatty looking examples around. The RSV, despite being Italian, seems to hold up very well and rather more of them will have been pampered by older owners.

The KTM is an odd choice since all the others are sports bikes, but KTM's only sportsbike is the RC8 which is way above your budget. Does that mean you are also looking at supermoto style bikes?

Soldato
What month did you policy run out in 2010? If its <todays date if will have expired as it will be a 2 year gap since you took out a bike policy. fingers crossed for you!

Associate
The finish on those early R6's is not great however, there are a lot of very tatty looking examples around.

I wouldn't say they are that bad if they have been looked after (ignore the ugly git to the right :p), I do a 28mile commute each day and now have about 22k on the clock (it had 10k when I got it a year and a half ago). I paid £2450 for it delivered which wasn't too bad considering the low mileage and condition it was in. When I looked at the newer sports bikes 03/04 onwards they were all £3k upwards, to be honest though they all do near enough the same thing just have their own characteristics which come down to personal preference.

Associate
As for insurance, get some quotes - what people have been getting price wise on here doesn't tell you much.

Depends what you want the bike for, 3K budget I would be looking at CBR600RRs but that's just me... I'm a Honda man! :)

Associate
As for insurance, get some quotes - what people have been getting price wise on here doesn't tell you much.

Depends what you want the bike for, 3K budget I would be looking at CBR600RRs but that's just me... I'm a Honda man! :)

Having owned Hondas, a Kawasaki and ridden an R6 I would also say Honda would be my preference.

Back
Top Bottom