Intel / AMD / Nvidia

Associate
Hi All, my brother is looking to get back into PC gaming and i was wondering what are everyone's views on the Intel vs AMD cpus? My own gaming pc is about 5 years old and is still able to play games now as i specced it very high at the time. From looking at the reviews, stats etc it would appear AMD are performing really well compared to intel these days.
Throughout history i have mainly been Intel but i was wondering would him going for an AMD be a good choice as they are doing very well atm.

Similar with the AMD vs Nvidia argument, mainly been Nvidia but now AMD are doing really well.

He is looking for a single GPU card atm, is ATX worth it or would a mATX board be fine? looking for a medium size tower, nothing too massive.

Soldato
Hi @Euphoria
AMD cpu is superior now, definitely the best option to go for.

AMD vs NVIDIA, there is not going to be a lot in the benchmarks if your going to go for one of the latest generation ones. Depends what you can get, NVIDIA are hard to get hold of and AMD not even out yet.

ATX/mATX, if you are going to go for a mid tower case anyway then get an ATX board. If you can give us a budget we can suggest a build for him.

Soldato
Intel got "pwned" by AMD, because of their own greedyness and clearly bad leadership/management.
Intel simply lost their last bastion of per core advantage to Zen3, while having nothing to answer AMD's core counts.

For graphics cards we'll find out the situation in next week.
But pretty certain this time it will be tight fight with AMD having actual big high end chip, instead of only mid level chip like first Navi.
Also AMD has genuine next-gen amount of memory to last for years at 16GB, while NVidia skimped on with console level 10GB or less.

There are very few good mATX cases, which would actually have significant size advantage over ATX.
And motherboard choise in mATX size is simply from average to pathetic, with most boards being cheapos clearly intended for market garbage PCs.

Soldato
AMD is faster but also more expensive now while intel is cheaper but still decent especially in games.

For GPUs nvidia is currently faster but AMD look to be close although nvidia offers a much better suite of features like shadowplay, DLSS, broadcast and voice.

AMD looks to be bring raytracing but until the cards are out we wont know how good it is while they are also planning a DLSS like tech to be released later.

AMD also had sketchy drivers last time with people still having issues over 6 months after release and this is something they will need to get right this time.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
looking to spend around 2k including monitor. dont need keyboard or mouse. needs to be air cooled. liquid cooling and a lazy person do not go well.

Is now a good time to look at gfx cards as i heard AMD are releasing a new one soon?

i assume CPUs etc have all been out now and anything that comes out next few months is mainly speed ?no big new gen jumps?

Soldato
looking to spend around 2k including monitor. don't need keyboard or mouse. needs to be air cooled. liquid cooling and a lazy person do not go well.

Is now a good time to look at gfx cards as i heard AMD are releasing a new one soon?

i assume CPUs etc have all been out now and anything that comes out next few months is mainly speed ?no big new gen jumps?
Availability is terrible on all the new stuff right now so you could be looking at next year before acquiring all the parts although pre builds seem to have a month wait but you dont get as much bang for buck if going the route.

Soldato
looking to spend around 2k including monitor. dont need keyboard or mouse. needs to be air cooled. liquid cooling and a lazy person do not go well.

With that sort of budget this would be a good build.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
1 x Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 850W 80 PLUS Gold Modular Power Supply - Black= £123.95
1 x AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Six Core 4.6GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail= £299.99
1 x MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk (AMD AM4) B550 ATX Motherboard= £179.99
1 x WD Blue SN550 1TB NVME M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3 Solid State Drive (WDS100T2B0C)= £94.99
1 x Patriot Viper Steel 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-28800C18 3600MHz Dual Channel Kit (PVS432G360C8K)= £158.99
1 x MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Ventus 2X OC 8GB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card= £559.99
1 x Seagate 2TB Barracuda 7200RPM 256MB Cache Internal Hard Drive (ST2000DM008)= £54.95
1 x Arctic Liquid Freezer II High Performance CPU Water Cooler - 240mm= £79.99
1 x Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh performance Midi-Tower Case - Black= £74.99
Total: £1,643.73 (includes shipping: £15.90)

Availability as mentioned is tough now though. Neither 5600x or 3070 are in stock.

Back
Top Bottom