• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel Arc Battlemage

At least with Alchemist they could whine about how it's 1st gen, teething pains etc. and everything else to add to rationalise away its utter failure. With Battlemage it's round 2 and such excuses will be even less listened to. Nevermind that Intel's in an even weaker position financially to continue subsidising Arc, which they had to heavily do for Alchemist. Imo they're looking like they'll be in an even worse position than before, no different than how AMD kept slipping further away from Nvidia with RDNA 3, especially since RDNA 4 will double-down on its value prop. with a focus on mid-range.

For the Per mm2 of silicon your getting the intel cards are far cheaper than both AMD and Nvidia, if they fix performance then they should be in a good spot.
The counter argument to that is that if Intel's perf/area had not been so poor, I'm sure they would have charged far more.
Price often being the last thing to be fixed, after all.

Battlemage needs to be 2X as fast as ARC to compete with the RX 7800 XT at £450, which is already a GPU nearing replacement, its old now...

GPU stuffs hard yo and AMD aren't incompetent.

RT should be good at least, if RT is 2x as Intel says then the replacement for the A770 would have same RT performance as the 7900xtx

They have a good chance in the budget end where performance has advanced at just 38% in the last 5 years from both AMD and Nvidia.

Steve Burke asked Tom Peterson to justify Intel in the GPU space, its a good question, Tom said "Intel offer the best quality" I like Tom, i like the cut of his jib, tells it how it is in no uncertain terms or how he sees it, take it or leave it, Ex-Nvidia guy.

Tom's Answer was very telling of Intel's attitude in this space, don't you think? They think people in this space are missing a premium product, what do we think about that?

The best quality? Weren't their cooler shrouds held together with double sided tape in some areas?

They have a good chance in the budget end where performance has advanced at just 38% in the last 5 years from both AMD and Nvidia.
Yeah, it's gonna come down to price - If they're 50% faster than a770 (and 100% RT) they'd be close to a 6800/3070ti (with better RT than either) and only around 15-20% slower than a 4070.
.. although still 75% the speed of a 4070S, with less mature features, essentially in line with 7700XT so would have to be £350 at most for a decent AIB model

Yeah, it's gonna come down to price - If they're 50% faster than a770 (and 100% RT) they'd be close to a 6800/3070ti (with better RT than either) and only around 15-20% slower than a 4070.
.. although still 75% the speed of a 4070S, with less mature features, essentially in line with 7700XT so would have to be £350 at most for a decent AIB model
If they match the 7700XT but with far better RT and upscaling then £350 would be an excellent price.

Last edited:
It's always the same people pouring water on the Intel offerings, but I'm looking forward to it.
After using the A770, I'm pretty sure I'd be easily persuaded to jump on their next offering. I can see why the attitude in the UK might be different, as the price of the 16gb cards at least is way higher than here from a quick look on Amazon. Good old rip-off Britain. :/

If they get something launched with a bit more vram, and don't try for nvidia pricing, I'd maybe buy day one.

Last edited:
It's always the same people pouring water on the Intel offerings, but I'm looking forward to it.
After using the A770, I'm pretty sure I'd be easily persuaded to jump on their next offering. I can see why the attitude in the UK might be different, as the price of the 16gb cards at least is way higher than here from a quick look on Amazon. Good old rip-off Britain. :/

If they get something launched with a bit more vram, and don't try for nvidia pricing, I'd maybe buy day one.

I'd like to see intel be competitive with the others, always nice to have options, but there's no getting away from the fact that the build quality of some of their cards using double sided tape was more than a little comical.

I've not watched that video, but will do when I get home tonight. Can't say I'm too fussed how a cooler is put together though, as long as it's easy enough to take off the whole assembly and re-paste. The A770 cards aren't exactly falling apart either.

Last cooler disassembly I watched from GN was an Nvidia FE card a few years ago, and he was annoyed that it was too complex.

I'd like to see intel be competitive with the others, always nice to have options, but there's no getting away from the fact that the build quality of some of their cards using double sided tape was more than a little comical.
Were these not review samples?

Intel spent a lot of energy shooting their mouth off taking pot shots at Nvidia and AMD, what they delivered was a broken, hugely over priced wet fart.

We do need the competition, i need Intel to succeed, but if after shooting your mouth off your competitors are offering better products for less money you're a clown to me.

Were these not review samples?

Wouldn't really make any difference if they were or not. Intel know sites do teardowns on cards and they know all about first impressions. Using tape really made the build quality seem cheap and wasn't a good look especially for their first proper gpu. It's been brought up a few times by GN since so presumably it was also in retail cards. Didn't seem to be a factor in third party card with their own coolers design though.

I've not watched that video, but will do when I get home tonight. Can't say I'm too fussed how a cooler is put together though, as long as it's easy enough to take off the whole assembly and re-paste. The A770 cards aren't exactly falling apart either.

Last cooler disassembly I watched from GN was an Nvidia FE card a few years ago, and he was annoyed that it was too complex.

Some of the nvidia cards do go overboard with screws, my old titan xp had screws that screwed into other screws, and they were tiny and easily lost\broken so there's that as well!

Back
Top Bottom